RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This Observer Headline is a Mess!! (lol)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Observer Headline is a Mess!! (lol)

The Observer newspaper headline below is a joke (Siccko must be silently cursing his sports editor), but the subject matter is a serious one. That 4-0 win against Barbados, particularly when measured against the rather dismal performance against our arch rivals Trinidad, really says nothing much as there are serious, unpredictable teams waiting us in the wings.

Barnes weary
    Boyz coach predicts tough DCC semi-finals
    BY PAUL A REID Observer writer reidp@jamaicaobserver.com
    Tuesday, December 09, 2008

FLORENCE HALL, Trelawny - John Barnes, head coach of the Jamaican football team, is wary of the possible semi-finals match-up in the Caribbean Football Union's Digicel Caribbean Championship (DCC) on Thursday.

Despite topping Group A on Sunday with seven points after two wins and draw to cruise into the semi-finals, Barnes thinks the likes of Cuba and Guadeloupe will give the Reggae Boyz a test.

Barnes told journalists after the sloppy 1-1 draw against Trinidad and Tobago at the Trelawny Multi-purpose stadium on Sunday that they need to lift their game come Thursday. "If we play like we did against Grenada and the first half against Barbados we will be a test for anybody," he said. "We respect everybody. I have seen Guadeloupe and Cuba and they look like the two teams going through (to the semis) so I know they will give us problems."

Cuba had already advanced to the semi-finals after winning their first two games in Group B, while Guadeloupe needed to beat Antigua and Barbuda in yesterday's late game at Jarrett Park.

Barnes said the coaching staff had expected Trinidad to be the toughest test of the three teams and his charges did not execute as well as they had expected.

"I said this match would provide more problems for us because Trinidad keep the ball and that is what we have to do better, we have to keep the ball better than we did today (Sunday)."

Jamaica made one change from the team that beat Grenada on Friday, replacing Shavar Thomas with Demar Stewart, but Barnes told the Observer it was purely tactical. "We knew Trinidad would provide us with a different test so with Demar being a stronger defender, better in the air we knew Trinidad would create more problems than Barbados and Grenada did," said the former England and Liverpool star.

Describing the change as "horses for courses", Barnes went on to say that "against Grenada we knew we would have all the ball, so we wanted somebody who is good on the ball and Shavar is quite good on the ball so it is a tactical change, Shavar did really well (against Grenada)".

In addition to being forced to substitute an injured Demar Phillips in the 34th minute after the fleet-footed winger went down with a hamstring injury, the Jamaican coaching staff also took off the largely ineffective Luton Shelton, replacing him with Omar Cummings while Keniel Moodie made his debut in the tournament, coming in for Rudolph Austin.

Barnes, who took up his appointment as head coach on November 1 had harsh words for his team after they made hard work of the game telling reporters afterwards "I am happy we are in the semi-finals, I am happy with the results, but it is the worst we have played (in the tournament)".

He added: "We did not pass the ball and it does not matter if we are in the semi-final or not, against Barbados we were 10 times better - we played with more intensity and more desire. We did not play with any tactical or positional discipline today."

The hot weather in Trelawny might have been a factor for the players. "It was a hot day, so I understand that and we lost our shape, but I am happy we are in the semi-finals and we didn't lose and that is the only thing I am happy about."

Teams:
    Jamaica - Donovan Ricketts, Demar Stewart, Dane Richards, Eric Vernan, Andrew Williams, Luton Shelton (Omar Cummings 67th), Demar Phillips (Rafe Wolfe 34th), Tyrone Marshall, Rudolph Austin (Keniel Moodie 73rd), Jason Morrison, Oneil Thompson
    Subs not used: S fraser, D Miler, O Woodbine, R Dean
    Booked: Wolfe (57th)

Trinidad and Tobago - Jan Michael Williams, Clyde Leon, Makan Hislop, Keyeno Thomas, Khaleem Hyland, Anthony Wolfe, Aurtis Whitley, Errol McFarlene, Seon Power, Aklie Edwards, Keon Daniel.
    Subs not used: A John, C Gray, A Dwarika, M Phillips
    Booked: Edwards (21st), Whitley (66th), Hyland (70th)
    Referee: Roberto Moreno (Panama)
    Assistants: Graeme Browne (St Kitts/Nevis), Ricardo Louisville (Antigua)
    Fourth Official: Javier Jauregui (Netherland Antilles)
    Match Commissary: Victor Daniel (Grenada)

Sickko, even though the headline is a mess, I appreciate your article. I must also give you credit on the other two about Rudolph Austin and Jermaine Taylor. We the fans need to see articles more about our players in the newspapers. Keep up the good work, and you need to be a little more gracefull in accepting criticisms.
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

I did not write the article about Taylor...
      Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
      Che Guevara.

Comment

Working...
      X