Ronaldo wins FIFA World Player award

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ronaldo wins FIFA World Player award

ZURICH (Reuters) - Manchester United's Cristiano Ronaldo was named FIFA World Player of the Year at a ceremony held by world soccer's governing body on Monday.

Barcelona's Argentine forward Lionel Messi was second and Liverpool's Spanish striker Fernando Torres third.
    Portugal winger Ronaldo, 23, won the honour for the first time after helping United win the Premier League, Champions League and Club World Cup.

The accolade also completed a hat-trick of top individual honours for Ronaldo, who had already won the football journalists' Ballon d'Or trophy and the FIFPro World Player of the Year title voted for by his fellow professionals.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

X .. one dimensional player mek yuh eat yuh words?
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

fully deserved

Comment

Cho,yuh rate X?
        Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Congrats...but he'll never be a complete player unless he stops the theatrics.
          Peter R

Comment

..well then he could always play for Pool, just like that he would become a complete player.Boo hoo we have Ronaldo!

Blessed

Comment

I don't begrudge him his trophy...he earned it...but I reiterate, regardless of who he plays for, Liverpool and all, likkle bwoy shenanigans and the diving in the box detract from his otherwise brilliant standard.
              Peter R

Comment

Originally posted by Peter R View Post
                I don't begrudge him his trophy...he earned it...but I reiterate, regardless of who he plays for, Liverpool and all, likkle bwoy shenanigans and the diving in the box detract from his otherwise brilliant standard.
                When last did he dive in the box? Carvelho almost tore off his shirt and no penalty. Against Boro the thug they call a captain had his hands around Ronaldo's neck . nothing! Talk bout that nuh? Sometimes I wonder if him affi get shot inna the box fi get a penalty.

Comment

Talk bout Ballack's diving in the box on Sunday or Mr. Louganis (sp) himself - Drogba.
                  Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

If the referees are doing a bad job that's an issue...does that justify diving? and I don't care when last he did...fact is he is apt to do it and it's something that doesn't go down well with me. As I said that is the aspect of his game I don't like...it makes him an incomp lete player because then he is a CHEAT!!

ANd unuh don't tek it personal...ANY PLAYER who does that is a cheat!!
                    Peter R

Comment

Originally posted by Peter R View Post
                      If the referees are doing a bad job that's an issue...does that justify diving? and I don't care when last he did...fact is he is apt to do it and it's something that doesn't go down well with me. As I said that is the aspect of his game I don't like...it makes him an incomp lete player because then he is a CHEAT!!

ANd unuh don't tek it personal...ANY PLAYER who does that is a cheat!!
                      Just give the youth him ratings and easy wid the diving thing Peter R.

Comment

I agree 100%.
                        "Jah Jah see dem a come, but I & I a Conqueror!"

Comment

These comments are from probably the poster who has been a Man U fan longer than anyone else here.

Peter R is right. Ronaldo has done it so often that when he is fouled for real, as Calvalho did on Sunday, he is not awarded the kick. It will take a long time to undo that. It was so funny that he and Carvalho both got yellows on Sunday for something that could ordinarily have been a penalty and a yellow on Carvalho alone.

He also needs to stop the step over garbage. It is an insult to most of his opponents. I often laugh now when he stumbles on the step over or when he loses the ball. When he plays straight up, he looks awesome and gets incredible results.

Comment

Originally posted by Westman View Post
                            These comments are from probably the poster who has been a Man U fan longer than anyone else here.

Peter R is right. Ronaldo has done it so often that when he is fouled for real, as Calvalho did on Sunday, he is not awarded the kick. It will take a long time to undo that. It was so funny that he and Carvalho both got yellows on Sunday for something that could ordinarily have been a penalty and a yellow on Carvalho alone.

He also needs to stop the step over garbage. It is an insult to most of his opponents. I often laugh now when he stumbles on the step over or when he loses the ball. When he plays straight up, he looks awesome and gets incredible results.
                            Hang ups? You are aware that harsh tackles that are allowed in the BPL are called in other leagues? Even Robinho has complained about it. When last any of you see Ronaldo diving to get a penalty? Give Ceasar his due!!!

Whats the problem with the stepovers? Its apart of his game. Yes, sometimes it work, sometimes it don't. If a player don't want to be insulted .. him guh play cricket then. You do realize it was his unnecessary stepovers that led to a backheel ... that led to Evra crossing for the second goal? You're aware it was his stepover garbage that led to Belletti fouling him that led to the 3rd goal?

Peter R is a Liverpool fan .. him know why him bringing uo diving instead of giving the youth him ratings.

Comment

Bredrin, I understand quite well that Peter R is a KOP fan. That is his cross or his raffa to bear.

I am an objective assessor of the game. As much as I love Man U, I love football first. Ronaldo is a very good player. I still maintain that he has been such a flagrant actor in the past. As such, it will take a long time and a lot of no-calls before he is trusted again. Re the step overs and fooling around, he did it three or four times the other day and it never worked. When he played straight up, he did fine. Teams get ready for that and there is no longer the element of surprise when he uses it. He should just quit doing it for a while and employ on the rare occasion against nervous defenders.

Comment

Working...
                              X