• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am not sure we need this kind of policy to fix our music

...LATEST NEWS...

Action needed over negative lyrics - PM

Jamaica Observer
    Posted: 2/9/2009 9:58:05 AM
    Reacting to a plea by dub poet Mutabaruka, Prime Minister Bruce Golding has called a meeting scheduled for this week to discuss negative lyrics in Jamaican music.

Speaking at a reception held at Jamaica House to mark Reggae Month yesterday evening, Mutabruka told the gathering that the lyrics and imagery were negatively impacting society and in particular, influencing the behaviour of young people.

Responding, Golding said that new legislation might be an appropriate response.

"We are going to have to find a way to deal with what is going on out there with the music. If we have to change the law, let us prepare the legislation and go to Parliament and change it. If it is going to call for some resources, we will have to find them. As tough as things are, let us find it because we can’t allow this assault on our music, on our psyche and identity as a people, to continue," he said.

He acknowledged that music needed its freedoms but said that there should be some way of enforcing standards in the industry.

“But if we work with the music industry and if we embrace the kind of leadership offered by Mutabaruka then we should set some parameters and be prepared to ostracize those who step beyond the boundaries of what is decent and uplifting," he said
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

But is who say the music broke? Dem no know sey you can't legislate morality.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
      "If we have to change the law, let us prepare the legislation and go to Parliament and change it."
      Brucie a guh change the law on "Freedom Of Expression"? Red herring?

Comment

Working...
      X