• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E. Vernan set for trial stint at DC United

More good news. Good luck to him.

Taken from www.jamaicaobserver.com

Vernan set for trial stint at DC United

Friday, February 13, 2009
    LONDON, England - Twenty-one-year-old Jamaica and Portmore United right-winger, Eric Vernan, will depart the island in a week's time for the United States where he will commence a three-week trial stint with US Major League outfit, DC United.
    VERNAN... when opportunities like this come you have to take them
    Vernan, who came on as a late substitute for the Reggae Boyz in their 0-0 draw against Nigeria in a friendly international here on Wednesday, was on cloud nine when he got the news.
    ""I feel good knowing that I will get the opportunity to play in a more professional environment. when opportunities like this come along you will have to take them seriously," said Vernan, who was adjudged MVP at last year's Digicel Caribbean Championship.
    The former Glenmuir student, who was a member of Jamaica's Under-20 silver medal-winning team at the Pan Am Games in Brazil in 2007, said his hard work in training is beginning to pay off and he is determined to take advantage.
    "It's a lot of hard work and sacrifice that got me to this stage and it's my intention to go to the USA and do my best," said Vernan, who hails from Clarendon.
    He said although Jamaica are out of World Cup contention, there is still much to look forward to, starting with the Gold Cup in the USA in the summer.
    "Yes, we're out of the World Cup, but the programme continues with the Gold Cup which is right around the corner and that is indeed something I'm looking forward to," said the diminutive, but speedy player.

Wish him luck. What ever happened to Craig Zaidie?
    Last edited by Lazie; February 13, 2009, 10:51 AM. Reason: Dropped the h
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

which, witch or wish?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
        which, witch or wish?
        LOL!! Yuh know how yardies love to add a h every now and again. It should be Wish.
        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

He tried to make a come back a few years ago, but he lost a step.
          Him a do a ting with real estate right now.

Ziadie hangs up his boots

posted: 2008-02-26 06:13:12
          var ACE_AR = {Site: '715938', Size: '300250'}; window.google_render_ad(); GORDON WILLIAMS, Contributor

Former Jamaica defender Craig Ziadie has ended his brief quest to return to professional football.

Ziadie, 29, recently joined the training camp of Real Salt Lake (RSL), the [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]Major [COLOR=blue ! important]League [/COLOR][COLOR=blue ! important]Soccer[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] club in the United States after more than three years absence from the MLS.

But his attempted comeback did not materialise as the club decided not to sign him for the upcoming season, which begins later this month.

"We will not offer him a contract with the club," John Koluder, RSL senior manager of media relations, confirmed yesterday.

According to Ziadie, the club, which has [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]Andy [COLOR=blue ! important]Williams[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR], another former member of the Reggae Boyz under contract, cited salary cap and roster restrictions for its decision, which was made before it returned to its home state of Utah on Saturday.

Ziadie last played in the MLS and for Jamaica in 2004. The youngest of the Ziadie clan, which represented Jamaica in football, was born in the US, but was raised in Kingston. He attended high school and university in the US before being drafted by DC United in the 2001 MLS SuperDraft where he became starter, mostly at right back. In 2002, he was traded to the then New York MetroStars (now New York Red Bull) where he also first choice. In the 2004, MLS Expansion Draft he was taken by Chivas USA, but did not join the team in California. By then, he said, he was having second thoughts about the expected MLS [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]rewards[/COLOR][/COLOR]. He also had personal goals he wanted to pursue and his estimated MLS [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]salary[/COLOR][/COLOR] of less than US$40,000 was not enough incentive for him to stay. The added uncertainty of not knowing if he would be traded again did not help either.

"I didn't really like the West Coast," he said yesterday. "It's more expensive. And I wanted to start a family. I needed to get on my feet. We needed stability."

So Ziadie quit the MLS, although he kept active playing in local Florida recreational leagues. Since 2005 he has been involved in a real estate appraisal and investing business in Florida. Yet when RSL decided to hold camp near his home his desire for the competition made the opportunity seem too good to pass up.

"They came to Florida and I live here," he said. "I was interested. I missed playing again."

Below fitness

Ziadie, despite admitting being below fitness needed at the [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]professional[/COLOR][/COLOR] level, ended up participating in a few practice games. Williams thought he was doing well, even after being away from the MLS so long, and had a legitimate chance of making the team.

"To me, he hasn't lost it at all," said Williams last week. "The coaches are impressed ... I don't know why he stopped in the first place."

However, Ziadie said RSL "had a lot of defenders" and it would have been difficult for him to stick with the team. Furthermore, unless the club offered an impossible-to-resist salary package, he would not be willing to relocate to Utah.

"It would have been difficult for me to move," said Ziadie.

The issue became even more complicated last week when Ziadie had to leave camp a few times to see his wife who was expecting the couple's first [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]child[/COLOR][/COLOR]
          . A son, Jordan, was born last Wednesday, but the trips between home and camp, plus long nights assisting with the baby, took their toll.

"It was back and forth during training," he said. "It was hard. I missed a couple days."

Ziadie returned to play in a practice game against the Colorado Rapids, another MLS team, in Florida on Friday night, and a local college team the following morning. He was pleased about his overall showing with RSL.

"I thought I did well," he said. "I felt more comfortable as it went on ... It was fun playing with them."

When he got the bad news from the club Ziadie said he was not upset. He claims to have had a satisfying run at top-level football.

"When I look back at it, I have no regrets at all," he explained. "I definitely made the right decision (to stop). I am happy where I am."

The RSL experience just provided the curtain call.

"Officially," Ziadie said. "I had a closing."

Good enough

Or did he? Yesterday Williams said after speaking to Ziadie on Saturday he was unsure if he would try to hook up with another MLS club, although he believes his former national teammate is good enough.

"I think he should have made it (at RSL)," he said, "but it's up to the coaching staff."

Ziadie said he may consider coaching, but for now will continue to play recreational football with his older brothers Chris and Nick, who have both represented Jamaica before. The three are sons of the late Dennis Ziadie, who also played professional football in the U.S. and represented Jamaica. He died in a road crash in [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]Mexico[/COLOR][/COLOR] while attending the World Cup in 1986.

Craig Ziadie, who began duties with the Reggae Boyz in 2002 after spending some time deciding whether to play for Jamaica or make himself available for the US, earned praise for being a smart player with composed, clinical performances, although he was criticised for lack of pace. He made more than 20 appearances for Jamaica, including the failed 2006 World Cup qualifying campaign.

Ziadie admitted he would consider playing professionally again, but only if the situation is right. Miami FC, which plays in the US 'A' League, a notch below the MLS, but close enough to Ziadie's home, is tempting.

"It would be a lot more convenient for me since I live here," he said. "The 'A' League season is not that long and they don't travel that much.

"You can never say never," Ziadie mused, "but we'll see."

Gordon Williams is a Jamaican journalist based in the United States.
          Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Appears to me from what i saw of him in the PanAM games that he has too much talent to be thinking MLS! ...or is it the only market he has been shopped in? ...or has he tried other markets and nothing stuck?

Good luck, youngster!
              "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Good luck to Vernan.

Craig Zaidie is not the youngest. What is wrong with the journalist them. The man had four sons and Craig is the second to last.

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                  Appears to me from what i saw of him in the PanAM games that he has too much talent to be thinking MLS! ...or is it the only market he has been shopped in? ...or has he tried other markets and nothing stuck?

Good luck, youngster!
                  Karl, you are right, I don't want any of our top talent in the MLS..them too stingy and the level of competition is not there yet.

Comment

Why is he passing up all those offers from English teams for DC United's trial offer?

I mean, he just played in the Nigeria friendly in London!
                    "Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
                    - Xavi

Comment

Originally posted by Zeppo View Post
                      Why is he passing up all those offers from English teams for DC United's trial offer?

I mean, he just played in the Nigeria friendly in London!
                      Just like any other product, in football there are artificial barriers to enter any market, often regardless of product quality.

Whereas the English market is hard to enter... the less attractive American market is relatively easier.

That's pretty much common knowledge.
                      TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

stop being stupid Zeppo.

Man have their opinion. Look how many American player pass up MLS fi go a division 3 and 4 team in Europe or A League.

The MLS is good for Vernon at this point but I hope it is a short term contract so he can move on.
                        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

[quote=Assasin;151782]stop being stupid Zeppo. quote]

You are being unreasonable here.. please withdraw this.
                          TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                            stop being stupid Zeppo.

Man have their opinion. Look how many American player pass up MLS fi go a division 3 and 4 team in Europe or A League.

The MLS is good for Vernon at this point but I hope it is a short term contract so he can move on.
                            If a lower-division team in Europe offers better money then I can't blame anyone for passing on MLS to take it.

But to simply say "I don't want any of our top talent in the MLS" ignores the reality of the situation.

You have to take the best offer that is presented to you.
                            "Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
                            - Xavi

Comment

Not even the agents for top thinking American players want them in the MLS either so that is nothing new. Very good young talent will never be paid their worth in the MLS. That is not a dig but the fact.

Do you think Shelton would have been paid 1 million dollars in the MLS?
                              Wanting Vernon to go to Europe and him going to DC is two different thing.
                              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
                              X