• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U-20 coach Duckie not bothered by loss to Costa Rica

U-20 coach Duckie not bothered by loss to Costa Rica

Howard Walker

Monday, February 16, 2009

Jamaica's national Under-20 footballers turned in an uninspiring performance and were beaten 0-1 by Costa Rica at Brancourt on Saturday, but head coach Donovan Duckie was not perturbed as he achieved some objectives.

"What was important for us is to look at the chemistry of the team. We saw where they did not look as a unit so we will have to analyse the individual players," he said.

"I thought the exercise went well and in two games, I had the chance of seeing all the players. We made five changes to the starting team from Thursday's game which I thought we could have won," said Duckie. Jamaica started without captain Andre Darby, but welcomed back overseas-based Dever Orgill from Vancouver Whitecaps in Canada.

They started out slowly and fell behind in the 10th minute after Marco Urena reacted quicker than the Jamaican defenders and slotted home from close range. It was a deserved goal for the Costa Ricans who outplayed their Jamaican counterparts for most of the game.

Ronald Gonzalez, head coach of Costa Rica, said he was satisfied with his team's performance.
    Said Gonzalez: "I am pleased with Costa Rica because the Jamaicans are very fast and skilful. It was very important that we played Jamaica because the play like Trinidad that will be in our group."

Duckie blamed, in part, a mix-up in match time for his team's downfall. He said he was not able to properly warm his players up for the game.
    For the first time in 12 games we have warmed up for seven minutes, so we started very slow in the first half and this is the first time we are conceding a goal inside 13 minutes. They were faster to the ball than us," he said.

Jamaica, who drew 0-0 with Costa Rica on Thursday, will play Mexico on Tuesday at the Ferdie Neita Park in another International friendly. The Mexicans are expected to arrive in the island today.

The young Reggae Boyz are preparing for the CONCACAF final-round World Cup Qualifiers set for March 6-15 in Trinidad & Tobago and are drawn in Group A with USA, El Salvador and the winner of the Honduras/St Vincent play-off. The semi-finalists from the two groups will qualify for the FIFA World Cup in Egypt in September 2009.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Completely unacceptable

Originally posted by Karl View Post
    U-20 coach Duckie not bothered by loss to Costa Rica

Duckie blamed, in part, a mix-up in match time for his team's downfall. He said he was not able to properly warm his players up for the game.

This is is completely unacceptable. We are playing a game in Jamaica which we are hosting and the coach has a mixup about the match time? How is it that the Costa Rican team not mixed-up about the game time?

This is something that should NEVER happen.

I can tell you that I am very worried about this U20 team especially the coach. Things have not gone well thus far but we can only hope for the best.

Respect

Comment

Maybe the Costa Ricans also received wrong info about the game time.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

What is unacceptable is that he is not bothered by the loss.

Comment

This about our U-20 who have been playing together through a tournament and have reached the pre-FIFA U-20 stage -

We saw where they did not look as a unit...

Jamaica's national Under-20 footballers turned in an uninspiring performance and were beaten 0-1 by Costa Rica at Brancourt on Saturday, but head coach Donovan Duckie was not perturbed...

After all that has gone before
          We saw were they did not look (as a) unit
          and the coach thinks there is nothing to cause

He has got to be joking!
          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Why do we as fans have to come down so hard on our players and coaches all the times? The man seh him not worried because his objectives from the game was to look at a number of fringe players to determine his final squad. What's so wrong with that? That's why they have "PRACTICE" games. I am glad that at least our young Boyz are getting quality "PRACTICE" games prior to a major tournament. Cut the man some slack.
            Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
              Why do we as fans have to come down so hard on our players and coaches all the times? The man seh him not worried because his objectives from the game was to look at a number of fringe players to determine his final squad. What's so wrong with that? That's why they have "PRACTICE" games. I am glad that at least our young Boyz are getting quality "PRACTICE" games prior to a major tournament. Cut the man some slack.
              Well if you are not worried when our team has played so many qualifying and practice matches and are still not playing as a unit...then all I can say is "bwoy?!" (cold sweat emoticon)

Comment

Thank yuh!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Afta flopping at the WC qualifiers, forumites just waan a team fi mek it to a FIFA tournament. Dukie should be bothered by the lost to Costa Rica.
                  Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by Hortical View Post
                    Afta flopping at the WC qualifiers, forumites just waan a team fi mek it to a FIFA tournament. Dukie should be bothered by the lost to Costa Rica.
                    Even if the loss to Costa Rica was not of itself worrying...the manner of the lose...not looking like a TEAM...should at this stage in the life of the TEAM be devastating!

I

Comment

Originally posted by Hortical View Post
                      Even if the loss to Costa Rica was not of itself worrying...the manner of the lose...not looking like a TEAM...should at this stage in the life of the TEAM be devastating!

I hope Duckie and his charges have gotten past the tearing apart of the CFU TEAMs and then on meeting CONCACAF TEAMs it is a 'crash and burn'! Starved for a visit to a FIFA final round!

Comment

Originally posted by Bricktop View Post
                        What is unacceptable is that he is not bothered by the loss.
                        I second that.

Comment

Originally posted by Jangle View Post

The problem is that we will play teams with similar style of play and for a coach not to be concerned is not a good thing. At this juncture he should be looking at fine tuning his team.

Comment

Fans

He has been chosen to coach this age group and has been successful in match play so far he must have a plan. Your forum could be one of encouragement, as a 'fan'. Time will tell how these practice/preparation matches will yeild results or not. Try prayer and look back at the work this coach has done and the path he still has to go with these youngsters. These players think they are winners at this stage and I think they are as well. PBanta

Comment

Does Arsenal always look like a team?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                              X