• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Major League Soccer could expand to Ottawa

...LATEST NEWS...

US Major League Soccer could expand to Barbados

CMC
    Posted: 2/17/2009 12:22:40 PM
    OTTOWA, Canada – Barbados-based Canadian businessman Eugene Melnyk has met with US Major League Soccer (MLS) Commissioner Don Garber and President Mark Abbott to discuss Melnyk’s plans for an MLS expansion team.

Garber and Abbott had a series of meetings with Melnyk, who also owns the National Hockey League (NHL) franchise Ottawa Senators.

A champion racehorse owner in Canada, Melnyk, who gives his horses names of places in Barbados, is making a bid for an MLS team to begin play in 2011.

It is reported that the biggest agenda item during the meetings was financing for a soccer stadium, a stated prerequisite for any prospective MLS expansion.

While Melnyk is prepared to provide the US$40 million expansion fee, he is asking for public funding help for a proposed US$110-million soccer-specific stadium in a space adjacent to Scotiabank Place, home of the Senators.

There was no announcement on Ottawa's standing in the MLS expansion race, but Commissioner Garber noted that Ottawa is an attractive location for MLS to look at.

“The only drawback at present is that there is no stadium,” Garber stated
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

Heh heh! Spreading like a pox on the land!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

dont understand why... they would go to ottawa.. Montreal Vancouver better options. Also they should use a downtown stadium... the propose location is far from town. who wrote this article.. the significant fact is not that he sometimes hide in Barbados but that he owns the ottawa senators and arena of the nhl..

Comment

...no one understands everything OJ.

Maybe if you sat in the meetin' with the principals, you would understand...

"...build it and they will come".
        The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

wonder how the madoff meetings went....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

no I know the principals and he landscape.. and the politics. You have a city montreal with a long standing soccer tradition, millionaire owners, and brand new soccer specific stadium with an existing team the Impact and also the same of Vancouver with the whitecaps and a healthy soccer community and you are forcing one without a good sports culture.. A un built stadium way out in Kanata.. in a goverment town with a dwindling disposable income due to the demise of the big IT company corel, cognos nortel that hired a great deal and created a great deal of young millionares in that area.. See I do understand.... I would love for them to get it as it more jobs but in fairness.... how do you justify going to tax payers for 110 mil to build stadium in these times when mOntreal and Vancover already have stadia or private financing..

Comment

snicker!

HL believes that once it is planned/managed by a yank, then it's good to go!

Yes, like the world economy!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Maybe the city planners have exactly this sort of LONG TERM re-development in mind OJ.

(I highly appreciate your well though out and timely response. It was not impulsive, visceral nor attack oriented like your two buddies )

HL

Comment

"visceral"...i need to look up that word to see what it means. "attack oriented"...hmmmm ..... yuh si dat now .... yuh cya'an even tell certain people good mawnin' or mek a simple observation.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

How yuh boss treating you?

Notice you always under his arm.

WhaT? you 'fraid i'm lay you aff...

HL

Comment

yuh figget? i was fired...i'm trying to get my job back! should do too...you make it so easy!

Comment

Working...
                      X