Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Cup stadium construction delayed by strikes

World Cup stadium construction delayed by strikes

Construction of one of South Africa’s 2010 World Cup stadiums will miss its completion deadline after hundreds of workers were fired for going on an illegal strike, a spokesman for the contractor said Thursday.

The delay comes ahead of Friday’s start of ticket sales for world soccer’s premier event, which is being held in Africa for the first time.

Eugene du Toit, a spokesman for the Mbombela Stadium Joint Venture, said the stadium in the eastern town of Nelspruit would not be completed by April as planned. Instead, it should be finished toward the end of the year, six months before South Africa is to stage the event.

(continue)
    "Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
    - Xavi

Try as you may, 2010 ain't going to the USA!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

The US has world class facilities....and sponsors would line up as fast as Bolt can run the 100.
      Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

was speaking to my friends in SA about the arrangements for next year....we're still holding strain!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

...pleeezee futbol gods...
          The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

"Pleeezee futbol Gods, what?"...
            Peter R

Comment

You surely are not suggesting that the most popular game on the planet be awarded to a country that pays the games most disrespect? I went to four 94 WC matches and if I hadn't entered the stadium you would never have guessed there was a WC on. Yes, they made money, but the atmosphere outside the stadia was as boring as shyte...never wan to do that again...give it to a place where the people appreciate the magnitude of the event ( if needs be).
              Peter R

Comment

You too? It was the worst WC ever! No atmosphere at all. It was like watching Windies cricket!

USA kills the football spirit. Please FIFA, keep the tourney far from her shores!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I want to see South Africa host this next World Cup, and I want it to be a success, too.

So here's to hoping that they get these little kinks worked out in time.
                  "Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
                  - Xavi

Comment

look like yuh employee HL neva get dat memo!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Peter R...as a football FAN-atic you should have taken the initiative to start the chanting and singing outside the stadium in '94. I am sure the crowda people would chime in behind you...

(I recalled starting a song--coming from an SPL game while walking among the crowd; the entie crowd [all] began singing. It was extreme fun!!!).

SIDEBAR:

The crowd both inside and outside the National Stadium in Jamaica is always in a singing and chanting frenzy. It remind me of the atmosphere at a Boca v. River Plate game. Yes?

HL

Comment

there is a point in there somewhere

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

...you are soooo bashful...

HL

Comment

World Cup construction workers strike in SAfrica

South African construction workers went on an indefinite strike Wednesday at stadiums being built for the 2010 World Cup—a move that could derail Africa’s historic first World Cup tournament.

Thousands of workers at stadiums across the country put down their tools after wage negotiations deadlocked earlier this week. Workers are demanding a 13 percent pay increase while employers are offering 10.4 percent.

The strike could delay completion of flagship projects such as the Soccer City stadium in Johannesburg and stadiums in Cape Town and Durban. Other stadiums in smaller towns have also been affected.

(continue)
                            - Xavi

Comment

fire the workers and bring in workers from neighboring countries. Pay them half the wages of the existing workers.

it's not what's fair...it's what negotiable.

The stadium must and will be completed.

HL

Comment

Working...
                              X