Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It is high time Wenger bought a defender, taunts United boss

It is high time Wenger bought a defender, taunts United boss Ferguson

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has criticised Arsene Wenger's transfer policy.

Ferguson believes his Arsenal counterpart buys too many attacking players.

The Scot, who did admit to admiring Wenger's youth policy at the Emirates Stadium, told French newspaper Le Journal du Dimanche: 'He believes profoundly in his youngsters. He doesn't like to blend them too much with older players.

'What astonishes me is that he always buys attacking players, like Andrey Arshavin.

'He is a good player but he already has Samir Nasri, Emmanuel Adebayor, Robin van Persie, Nicklas Bendtner, Eduardo, Theo Walcott.
    'I don't think he likes buying defenders. That lacks balance.'

Ferguson went on to write off Real Madrid's chances of winning the Champions League, claiming they did not have the speed in their team to worry the rest of Europe.

'"No chance,' he said. 'They lack pace. They have great players, Gabriel Heinze, Fabio Cannavaro, Fernando Gago, but they are not fast.
    'There is Arjen Robben. He is the only one who can give them some tempo but he is not a very courageous player.'

Impressive: Samir Nasri

Ferguson believes that Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal as well as Inter Milan and Barcelona, are United's main rivals in Europe.

United travel to the San Siro to play Jose Mourinho's side in tomorrow night's first leg of their last-16 tie and Ferguson spoke of his admiration for the former Chelsea manager. 'My old friend,' he said. 'Some people don't like him because he is impertinent, too sure of himself. Me, I like him a lot. He does his job.'

Ferguson also spoke of his interest in Lyon striker Karim Benzema.
    'He is an excellent footballer,' the United manager said. 'He makes me think of Zinedine Zidane, the way he positions his body.

'He has big shoulders and excellent control of the ball. The ball is stuck to his feet and defenders can't get a tackle in. But it doesn't mean I want to buy him.

'You always have to keep an eye on all the best players and how they are developing.'

Ferguson also revealed he is a big fan of another France star, Franck Ribery. 'He is fantastic,' he said. 'Always moving and incredible energy. He is always going forward but defends a lot too. He would have no problem playing in England.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo....html?ITO=1490
    Last edited by Karl; February 23, 2009, 03:13 PM.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

defence ironically is not so much the problem...how many scorelss draws have they had now?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Maybe a defender that score will help?
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

agreed.... We need an out and out goal scorer.. really thats Eduardo.. but we need dept at that position... We have not replace the goal scoring of Pires. Lunberg and TH.. so thats really the problem.. Yes a defesnive player like Viera or a good centre back would help..

Comment

The Russian look like him ready fi the job.
          Alongside the big African, Theo on the Wing with Eduardo and Van Perise you a big threat. I however think you have not replace Viera and you need a defender who is good in the air.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

mmmm?
            I wonder what is the GUNNERS' defensive record?
            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

I agree with fergie, we have a huge problem in defense. Stats don't always tell the whole truth, just watch Arsenal play and you will see how vulnerable they are in defense. With the exception of the wing backs, the rest of the defense a pure rux.

Comment

I've said it many times before that since Pires left, Arsenal has not had a consistent second scorer. In fact, the strike force of Henry, Pires and Ljunberg were consistent in providing goals which sort of dried up when they left. Furthermore, there is no fighter in the midfield since Viera left and whenever they do score, the defense can't close the deal as they always look so vulnerable. I'm sick and tired of them constantly falling behind and making things more difficult for themselves. Wenger need to build a more balance team as Fergie said, so he need to spend on quality defenders.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                  Maybe a defender that score will help?

Yuh memba wen TH14 was about to go...and when he went I longed for Samuel Eto'O?

Yuh memba mi seh aftah Adebayor score im bad dat...I am not convinced he was henny hout an hout scorer?

Well Arsene get di lite an a look fi get David Villa!

...an luk yah now pan di nex wan Wenger waaaant?

Arsene Wenger Gunning Eyes Fiorentina’s Felipe Melo

February 22nd, 2009 window.google_render_ad();

Football Transfer News - Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has reportedly made Fiorentina’s defensive midfielder Felipe Melo his main target for the summer transfer window.

The Brazil international has become a revelation in Serie A since his move from Spanish outfit Almeria last summer.

His performances have caught the eye of several big name clubs, and the Gunners are reportedly also in the hunt for the 25-year-old.

The former Flamengo player, who impressed in Brazil’s friendly game against Italy at Emirates Stadium a fortnight ago, has a release clause of €20 million, and it is thought that Wenger will take Fiorentina up on that offer.

The money for this transfer will reportedly be made available by selling one or two prize assets at the club, with Emmanuel Adebayor, Cesc Fabregas and Robin van Persie all being linked with big money moves to Barcelona.
                  Van Persie has already rejected the offer of a new contract at the club, and with only one and a half years left on the contract, the Gunners may be forced to sell their Dutch superstar to the Primera Division giants.

The north London club have struggled with their central midfield positions since the departures of Mathieu Flamini and Gilberto Silva to AC Milan and Panathinaikos respectively, and the fans have been urging Wenger to restrengthen in central midfield in order to resume challenging for the Premier League title.
                  "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

David Villa? Liverpool, Man City and Real are also interested and he will command quite a bit of Dollars. I don't know Arsenal is up to that amount of money.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                      David Villa? Liverpool, Man City and Real are also interested and he will command quite a bit of Dollars. I don't know Arsenal is up to that amount of money.
                      Well we'll see...although Wenger has a record of keeping spending 'low' when compared to the other big boys and now Man City

Comment

Unu can stay deh listen to Fergie,a something him a try.Sagna,Silvestre,Gallas a what?We got plenty defenders til we even send Senderos on loan.Sir Alex is just being mischevious as usual.

Comment

Originally posted by Dunny View Post
                          Unu can stay deh listen to Fergie,a something him a try.Sagna,Silvestre,Gallas a what?We got plenty defenders til we even send Senderos on loan.Sir Alex is just being mischevious as usual.
                          Thats what amazes me ... send Senderos on loan ... unuh see him in action fi Milan?
                          "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Dunny View Post
                            He hopes Arsene Wenger will be diverted/distracted/fall for his mind games and not go for that striker!

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                              He hopes Arsene Wenger will be diverted/distracted/fall for his mind games and not go for that striker!
                              Are you people for real? What reason would Fergie want to engage Wenger in mind games now? If you read the article you'd see he was addressing Le Journal du Dimanche a French newspaper. Now doesn't that sound as if he was answering a question?

Comment

Working...
                              X