U- 20 - Ja vs Can

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U- 20 - Ja vs Can

One brilliant goal. Two tall players came on in the last 20 minutes and changed an energetic but poor Jamaica team several notches higher in play.

Ja - 1; Can - 0.

The USA U-20 Head Coach scouted the Jamaica and Canadian teams.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

U-20s return after edging Canada in friendly game

By Howard Walker Observer staff reporter
    walker@jamaicaobserver.com
    Sunday, March 01, 2009

Jamaica'S Under-20 footballers returned home yesterday after their successful sojourn to Fort Lauderdale where they defeated their Canadian counterparts 1-0 on Friday at Lauderhill Sports Centre.

The young Reggae Boyz also drew 0-0 with the Caribbean America's Soccer Association (CASA) U-23 team last Wednesday and are bubbling with confidence ahead of the CONCACAF World Cup qualifiers next week.
    The youngsters will leave for Trinidad & Tobago this Wednesday before playing the USA on March 6, then El Salvador two days later in Group A action.

They will then play the winner of the Honduras/St Vincent & the Grenadines play-off next Tuesday, March 10.

Jamaica embarked on a series of friendly games against Group B teams in preparation for the qualifiers, playing Costa Rica twice at home - drawing once and losing once.

They then stunned regional kingpins Mexico 1-0 at Ferdie Neita Park before edging Canada 1-0 for two wins, a draw and a loss. A repeat of those performances would certainly see them qualifying for the FIFA World Cup slated for Egypt in September this year.

Head coach Donovan Duckie was elated with his team's consistent display in the series of games.

"I must take my hat off to the boys for showing such character in these games. I thought they showed a level of consistent organisation and at no point were they rattled," Duckie told the Sunday Observer after the Canada match.

"This is definitely a good morale-booster going to Trinidad and the guys are confident but focused," he added.

Jamaica's victory over Canada was mainly due to sturdy defensive work by Andre Darby and company. But it was the double substitution of crowd favourite Reneil 'Ricky Sappleton' and John Ross Doyley that stole the show.

Both came on in the 58th minute and changed the entire game. Sappleton came on for Alanzo Adlam to a rousing reception and used his towering physique, pace and skill to unsettle the usually big Canadians.
    He held the ball up cleverly and brought his teammates into the final third in a dominant second-half display.

And it was Doyley who got the all-important goal in the 63rd minute, side-footing from close range from a well-worked short corner between Romario Campbell and Andre Campbell.

It was a deserved goal as the Jamaicans were kept pressing and the goal seemed imminent.

"I thought we were the better team, especially in the second half," Duckie noted. Similar sentiments were echoed by Canadian coach Tony Fonseca.
    "All credit to the Jamaican team; they were the better team in the second half," he conceded.

Fonseca added: "We're disappointed because any game we play we want to win. The most important part is... we learned a few things we hope we can take into the first game against Trinidad."

Sappleton from English League One outfit, Leicester City, and the dreadlocked Amani Walker from the University of California, impressed Duckie and the coaching staff and were selected in the final 20-man squad for the CONCACAF qualifiers next week.

Both strikers are the only two of seven overseas-based players that trained with the team to make the cut.
    Last edited by Karl; March 1, 2009, 02:16 PM.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Karl stop been such a critic.
      They couldn't be that poor as Canada is not a poor team.

Good win by the boyz, keep it up. Now unnu see that ony a few will be choosen.

Do your thing Mr. Duckie because my source say many did a wait fi you fail.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Karl, I was at that game. I don't know why you say the team was "energetic but poor". I am a bit vex because they didn't have any programs and there were no names on the players jerseys, so I don't know their names. That said, the boyz withstood a well organised and sustained series of attacks in the first half from the Canadians and were it not for the stalwart skipper (#4) and the other centrehalf (#3) we would have conceded.

The second half was much brighter for us. We changed the formation and played 4-1-3-2. They brought on some serious speed with a black youth who could run like lightning. However, the boyz moved the ball around very well. The goal came from well worked series of passes. It also came before the substitutions you referenced which were the change in the strike force. I believe one of the players was the youth from Leicester City - for a big guy, he sure can move light on his feet, and with nuff skill.

I think we have the talent, no question, but we do continue to make mental errors and silly mistakes. We like flair and like to play to the crowd, but that is not smart football. Still, this was a well deserved win, although Canada will be upset that they did not score as they had their chances.
        Last edited by Karl; March 1, 2009, 03:58 PM.
        "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

Thank you for your very objective post Missa Paul. It is surprising sometimes how we see things differently, even when looking at the same thing.
          "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
            Karl stop been such a critic.
            They couldn't be that poor as Canada is not a poor team.

Good win by the boyz, keep it up. Now unnu see that ony a few will be choosen.

Do your thing Mr. Duckie because my source say many did a wait fi you fail.
            I guess you saw the match!

I saw a **************** poor Jamaica team.
            The Canadians pressed and created great chances but failed to put them away.

We were in the ascendency for about 10- 15 minutes of the entire match!

The goal we scored was a brilliantly executed set piece.

Our defense was given a full work out by the Canadians and did well. Our midfield was poor our forwards were poor excepting for the big fellow from Leicester. He moved well. He headed well. He passed well. he has quick feet and troubled the Canadian defense.

The dreadlocked midfielder also played well.

However, the big forward and the dreadlocked midfielder played only 20 minutes. Both came on during the same stoppage.

Assasin: This is how our team played...

two forwards
            -
            -
            -
            -
            -
            -
            -
            -
            -
            -
            4 midfielders
            4 defensers.

I hope you noticed the tremendous gap I left between the midfielders and the forwards?

The Canadians ruled the midfield. They supplied their forwards well. Their defenders were solid.

Our team took about 5 shots. With 2 going to goal (on target). One scored!

The Canadians took about 10 shots. Most were confortable misses...but about two or three were clear chances.

5 on target. The most torrid shot going straight down our goalkeeper's throat. Two went narrowly wide (perhaps I should have these in the not on target slot). One was loped towards our goalkeeper's left on the cross-bar/upright (that rat hole) and was tipped over. One cleared by a defender (headed out).

We gave away the ball more than a @#$%^%$#@ in New Kingston. The crowd groaned, laughted at and berated the players. Some girls sitting before me engaged in serious use of Jamaica choice words over a long period as we kept winning the ball and then giving it away.

Now to be fair to the players and the coach - The field was narrow and short. Did not appear to me to be one conforming to FIFA regulations (Laws of the Game)....so it made for a congested area particularly in and around the penalty-area. That said - the Canadians looked as if they were using their brains...we often did not.

In fact, we brucked and held on to the ball so often that at times the Canadians could send 3 and 4 defenders at the man on the ball...and ended up winning the ball as each and every time....EACH and EVERY TIME our players did not attempt to pass. Now you tell me Sass if...besides those players...there is any half-idiot who does not become aware...learn during a 90 minute period...that if 2 or more players come at him it does not mean at least one player in close proximity is FREE for an outlet pass?

The game was a rough and tumble affair! There was a lot of running around after the Canadians and a lot of wacking of them. Let me hasten to add the Canadians also did their fair share of wacking!

NB: You tell me how on a short congested field you can, as team, play most of the game with a disconnect between your two front men and the other eight outfielders?

Sass: You tell me if you find that giving of the middle of the park to the Canadians as playing well?

I'll also tell you this - by and large the Canadians 1st touch was better than ours.

Conclusion: Even the solid appearing defenders...I would not claim that on a regulation field they would not be got behind easily.

I loved the win. ...but I did not enjoy how we played.
            Last edited by Karl; March 1, 2009, 03:56 PM.
            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Have to agree that the attitude of our players was magnificent. Regardless of how often we lost the ball, they kept fighting. The clashes of bodies was 'forcefull' ...but our boys picked themselves up and went at it with relish and gave more than they got!

They definitely played - as if they did not believe the could lose...and as if they wanted to win!

Trus mi they got 'stuck in'! Some of those clashes were earth-shaking!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Marin View Post
                Karl, I was at that game. I don't know why you say the team was "energetic but poor". I am a bit vex because they didn't have any programs and there were no names on the players jerseys, so I don't know their names. That said, the boyz withstood a well organised and sustained series of attacks in the first half from the Canadians and were it not for the stalwart skipper (#4) and the other centrehalf (#3) we would have conceded.
                *Glad to hear you were at the game Paul...but you said it the Canadians were well organised and mounted a sustained series of attacks!

In essence you ask - Where was our organised and sustained series of attacks?

...my take we were disorganised and disjointed! We constantly gave away the ball.
                The second half was much brighter for us. We changed the formation and played 4-1-3-2. They brought on some serious speed with a black youth who could run like lightning. However, the boyz moved the ball around very well. The goal came from well worked series of passes. It also came before the substitutions you referenced which were the change in the strike force. I believe one of the players was the youth from Leicester City - for a big guy, he sure can move light on his feet, and with nuff skill.

I think we have the talent, no question, but we do continue to make mental errors and silly mistakes. We like flair and like to play to the crowd, but that is not smart football. Still, this was a well deserved win, although Canada will be upset that they did not score as they had their chances.
                The goal was scored after the double change. It was scored from a short corner to our left top of the penalty-area under siege. It was corner-kicker to player at the top of the penalty-area...who sent in the ball ...which was then side-footed one time by a player running in from outside of and at just to the right of the middle of the penalty-area...striking the ball outside the goal-area and to the left of the penalty spot. The scorer came in on a diagonal run. Brilliantly executed set-play. Three passes if you consider as I do that the shot was a pass into the goal.

Talent being present?
                Well for the number of times we passed poorly - passing is one of the simple fundamentals of the game - I am not sure the talent was shown?
                I think I should have said, the talent was not shown!

Move the ball around very well? For 5 minutes? 10 minutes?
                Well that has to be judged against a game of 90 minutes...or even a half of 45 minutes? I am dead sure considering the periods of play (say, even forgetting the 1st half and zooming in on the 2nd half only) I cannot say we moved the ball nicely.

*Took some pictures of the crowd. I may even have caught you in a shot.

Comment

Thanks for the objective report. Without seeing the game, I know exactly what u are talking bout. Ja has some of the most talented players in Concacaf, but is the least technical of all the teams.

We still have a brucky boo soccer culture that is stagnating any progress we should be making.

In our last WC match we beat Canada 3-0, but Canada had the betta of play for most of the match. An ugly win is betta dan a pretty loss anyday, but we still need to show style and pattan. We are bigger, faster, and more physical dan most a wi opponents, but cyaan srting 5 or 6 passes together and the yute coaches dem cyaan do nutten bout it

Our first match is against USA, lets see how many players finish that match.
                  Six days I work for my children, on the seventh day they work for me.
                  Mitty

Comment

Doyley and Orgill are two players who should be included in our Gold Cup squad. Both players will be stars of the future. Mi hear seh Romario Campbell have some talent, neva see im play. Ill be watching him very carefully in this tournament.
                    Six days I work for my children, on the seventh day they work for me.
                    Mitty

Comment

Originally posted by Mitty View Post
                      Thanks for the objective report. Without seeing the game, I know exactly what u are talking bout. Ja has some of the most talented players in Concacaf, but is the least technical of all the teams.

We still have a brucky boo soccer culture that is stagnating any progress we should be making.

In our last WC match we beat Canada 3-0, but Canada had the betta of play for most of the match. An ugly win is betta dan a pretty loss anyday, but we still need to show style and pattan. We are bigger, faster, and more physical dan most a wi opponents, but cyaan srting 5 or 6 passes together and the yute coaches dem cyaan do nutten bout it

Our first match is against USA, lets see how many players finish that match.
                      It is simple for me. I have to view our play as it is and thinkon whether or not the type of play is good relative to what we expect to meet at the U-20 finals.

Will the big boys of Europe, Africa, Asia & the Middle East and South America allow us those big gaps in midfield, the continuous giving away of the ball and the extremely often not being able to put two or more passes together? I do not think so.

Anyway we should not continue to say we played well when we did not. I do not think it helps the players to hear and believe they are playing well when they are not. It wii, I think, re-inforce the bad play. The players will believe the bad is good. I also think it does not help our coaches hering the team is doing well when it is not doing well. God forbid it re-inforces for the coaches bad being good...and actually have them believe the bad play is good! ...you know where that would leave us!

Comment

Originally posted by Mitty View Post
                        Doyley and Orgill are two players who should be included in our Gold Cup squad. Both players will be stars of the future. Mi hear seh Romario Campbell have some talent, neva see im play. Ill be watching him very carefully in this tournament.
                        I think there is a real argument for the 'big stricke' to be in our senior squad.

Comment

was there no sign of hope?

We are competing to go to the World Cup, let us qualify before we talk bout playing the others.
                          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Goal

chttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHFV-pJ4vIU

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                              was there no sign of hope?

We are competing to go to the World Cup, let us qualify before we talk bout playing the others.
                              I always said we see the game differently.

In my world you start doing the correct things from the beginning.

In yours see we if we can qualify before we start thinking about playing football.

In my world you shall win at the lower levels because you are doing the right things. You perform at an obvious higher level than your opponents.

In yours we stumble through the lower levels. We win because the
                              opponents are unlucky and we are lucky.

My way is not your way.

No hope?
                              Yes, judging by our play, hope is all we have!

Comment

Working...
                              X