X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hejduk, USA's working class hero

Hejduk, USA's working class hero

Monday 2 March 2009

An avid surfer, California-born USA star Frankie Hejduk is a Bohemian at heart. But he is all business about his football, as FIFA.com found out.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Respect him very much. He got where he is purely by his work ethic. Not even close to talented, but he works very hard. Along with McBride (nowhere near the extent of Frankie), I think he was a player who was able to play above his weight.

Comment

Originally posted by Me View Post
      Respect him very much. He got where he is purely by his work ethic. Not even close to talented, but he works very hard.
      Yeah, this is pretty much true.

But one other thing to mention is his superior fitness, although I suppose that could fall under the "work ethic", since it is what allows him to work so hard.

At any rate, Frankie is a freak athlete when it comes to cardiovascular capacity. In the running and fitness tests at the U.S. training camps he routinely beats all other players. One of the few guys who can beat the dreaded 'beep test', too. He attributes most of it to surfing!

And you guys might be interested to know that he is a Bob Marley fanatic and considers him to be a great hero and inspiration. He even named his son Nesta!
      "Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
      - Xavi

Comment

I recall his Bob Marley moves (arm swings) after scoring goals.

Comment

"Not even close to talented".

I need to remind myself that the term "talented" in the Jamaican sense is unique to a player being able to saladd, chop, cut, do multiple step-overs twinkle-toe... etc...etc...

Frankie by my standard is highly talented.
          Last edited by HL; March 2, 2009, 06:11 PM.
          The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Yes, it's an exaggeration to say he's not talented.

But technically he's not outstanding: poor touch, no left foot and can't cross well.

He got where he is mainly on his speed, fitness, tenacity and work ethic.
            "Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
            - Xavi

Comment

What you call talented?

Fergie stated that Neville not as talented as Scholes and Gigs. What Fergie mean by that?

Frankie is a very good worker and good player, if he is talented is as a defender but none of his skills are execptional. He is a hard worker and have a big heart.
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by HL View Post
                "Not even close to talented".

I need to remind myself that the term "talented" in the Jamaican sense is unique to a player being able to saladd, chop, cut, do multiple step-overs twinkle-toe... etc...etc...

Frankie by my standard is highly talented.
                You are so silly.

Shooting? Substandard
                Ball Control? Substandard
                Passing? Substandard
                Reading the game? Average

So go ahead and think I am referring to bruck and shif.
                Farnkie works hard. Sameway Stevie Malcolm wasn't the most talented but he played an important role in the Jamaican team.

Comment

Working...
                X