Jose hits back in ref meeting row

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jose hits back in ref meeting row

Jose Mourinho has hit back at Sir Alex Ferguson in the war of words over his planned meeting with referees boss Keith Hackett.

Mourinho asked for a meeting with Hackett after Chelsea's 2-1 defeat against Tottenham last Sunday.

The Portuguese coach was upset with the performance of Hertfordshire official Graham Poll and emailed Professional Game Match Officials chief Hackett last Monday morning.

But Manchester United boss Ferguson labelled Hackett's decision to meet Mourinho "absolutely ludicrous" and hinted that Chelsea were getting preferential treatment.

However, Mourinho taunted Ferguson in response by claiming he would have kept his mouth shut if he had enjoyed the same refereeing decisions as the United chief.

Mourinho specifically pointed the finger at how United got away with a point against Tottenham when Pedro Mendes' shot clearly crossed the line at Old Trafford but a goal was not awarded.

The Chelsea coach then mentioned the gift of a first-minute penalty when Wayne Rooney was adjudged to have been fouled against Portsmouth last week.

Mourinho declared: "For me everything is very clear. I promise you one thing, if I had the ball two metres inside my goal and the referee doesn't allow the goal, I wouldn't speak about referees for two years.

"And if, in the first minute of the game, I have a penalty to kill my opponent before they wake up, I wouldn't speak about referees for one year. I promise."

Mourinho then explained the build-up to his decision to email Hackett and ask for the meeting that has angered Ferguson.

The Chelsea coach revealed that Hackett had asked all the Premiership managers to call or email him if they wanted to discuss any matters during the season.

The offer was made during a pre-season meeting in London and Mourinho said: "Every manager of the Premiership was invited to a meeting.

"I went to the meeting because I have no hobbies. For me my life is football and my family.

"On my table, Adrian Boothroyd was there, Martin Jol, Harry Redknapp, Glenn Roeder, and Chris Coleman.

"At the end of the meeting Mr Hackett told us, 'please during the season if you want to give a contribution to the game or think you can give some opinions, call me or send me an email'.

"He gave a card to everybody and after the game against Reading I almost called him but decided not to do so.

"After the game against Sheffield United, I almost called him but I didn't. After the game against Tottenham, I couldn't do anything else but call him.

"I don't when but we will have a chat. Every manager in the Premiership was invited to do the same.

"Sir Alex was not at my meeting but I think there were two meetings - one in London and another one up in the north for managers from different areas. I don't know if he was at that one."
    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

RE: Jose hits back in ref meeting row

Which team benefitted more from refs in the EPL than Chelsea? How many times I've seen Terry and the other CD from Portugal handle the ball in the box and get away with it? Up to this season against Blackburn, Chelsea got a penalty for a hand ball, but the ref turned a blind eye when CSKA London did it?

I can go back to when this clown was at Porto. When they "knocked" ?ManU out of the CL, who benefitted from the ref?

How come Rooney's foul wasn't a penalty? Does this idiot have any sense? A foul in the box is what? Even today,2 fouls were committed on Saha, the one outside the box was given, but the one in the box was waved off.

CHELSEA get special treatment, no wonder dem start bitching as soon as a ref kept it real.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Working...
    X