Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interview with Ryan Maxwell from New England

2/13/09
    Q and A with Ryan MaxwellLeaving his home in Clarendon, Jamaica wasn’t easy, but Ryan Maxwell, the Revolution’s second selection (15th overall) in the 2009 MLS SuperDraft, knew it was the way to make his dreams with soccer come true. In his last season at University of Tampa, the midfielder recorded 10 goals and five assists while leading his team to a berth in the 2008 NCAA Division II national semifinals.

Revolution 2009 first round draft pick (15th overall) Ryan Maxwell in action at the Revs' training session on Friday, February 13.
    addthis_pub = 'jdalrymple'; Buzz up!

Revolution 2009 Replica Home Jersey

Revolution Infant Jacket / Pants / Tee
    Revs Newborn Creeper 3 Piece Set
    Revolution Giant Crest adidas Tee-Navy

Did you ever think about professional soccer while going to a Division II school?
    Ryan Maxwell: That was my main objective. I didn’t get into a Division I school so going to a Division II school I said, “OK, I’ll do it from here.” My main objective was to get a good solid degree and play college soccer. It’s always been in the back of my mind to play professional soccer. It’s always been my goal to play professional soccer so I’m glad I’ll get the opportunity to play.

Why University of Tampa?
    RM: They were the first ones to jump at it. I got an offer from them with a full scholarship so I decided to jump on it. Plus it was closer to home and I liked the weather. I’ve got some friends down there so I just jumped on the opportunity to go there and play.

How was moving to the U.S. after growing up in Jamaica?
    RM: A little bit different. Cultural-wise a little different. Different people. The type of soccer is different. The way people socialize is different. So it was a little bit challenging for me for the first two years, but after three years I’ve gotten settled in and interact with people and learn the culture and adapt to the American lifestyle.

What do you miss most about Jamaica?
    RM: I miss my mom. I miss the food. I miss my family and friends like people I can really relate to. My culture – I miss it a little.

What is your favorite food from Jamaica?
    RM: I like steamed fish and what we call rice and peas in Jamaica. My mom always made it for me. I miss it a lot.

How was your time with the Jamaica U-20 team?
    RM: It was real competitive. It was like the cream of the crop group of guys. It was hard for me to get into that team. I got in and did well in a couple of games I played in, but it was really competitive with those guys. Those guys helped me establish myself. From making that team, I know that I can do a lot better with another team because that team was so competitive.

Have you thought about the Jamaican senior national team?
    RM: That’s one of my main objectives. I want to play professional soccer and hopefully get a call for the senior national team where I can play and make my friends and family proud of me.

Where were you when you found out that you were drafted by the Revs?
    RM: I was at one of my friends watching it on the computer. My coach called me and told me and that’s when I saw it on the internet.

What was your reaction when you realized that you were headed to New England?
    RM: I was so surprised. I was so surprised that I got drafted in the first round. I’m grateful for it, though. New England is a good team. I like the coaches and I know most of the players from watching them on TV so it’s a fantastic opportunity for me to come here and try to prove myself amongst these players and do well in the league.

What were your thoughts when you arrived in Boston?
    RM: It was what I expected. People were telling me it was going to be cold and all that stuff. So I expected it to be cold. It was cold.

What are you most likely doing when you’re not on the field?
    RM: Just relaxing, taking a nap or hanging out with friends. I’m on the phone and sending texts, probably just talking with friends or my mom, letting her know what’s going on with me.

What soccer players did you watch growing up?
    RM: Winston Griffiths. He was a member of the Revolution in 2002. I think he’s an exceptional player. I’ve always admired his skill. Also, Omar Daley. He’s playing in England and from Jamaica. He’s also an exceptional player. I’ve always watched those guys. I’ve always wanted to go in the path of those guys and play professional soccer, and hopefully, play for my country too.

Do you get any interesting reactions to your accent?
    RM: I used to get that a lot of times. My first two years was very hard for me to adapt to the American lifestyle. Sometimes people wouldn’t understand me when I was talking. They didn’t get a word or something. But over the years I’ve learned to really pronounce the American way of words.

Any words in particular?
    RM: Jamaicans overall have problems pronouncing words that start with “H” so I always get that so a lot of people make fun of me but it’s OK though.
    Last edited by Karl; March 3, 2009, 10:04 PM.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Wish him luck with the Revolutions.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

yuh mean wish 'im luck?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
        yuh mean wish 'im luck?
        Huh?
        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
          Huh?
          i believe that should be 'uh?
          TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
            X