Did you guys see this...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did you guys see this...

...arrticle about the premier league refereeing double standards when it comes to Balletman Ronaldo? The writer uses factual accounts to make his case.

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/9287350/The-Premier-League's-double-standards
    "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Originally posted by Paul Marin View Post
    ...arrticle about the premier league refereeing double standards when it comes to Balletman Ronaldo? The writer uses factual accounts to make his case.

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/stor...uble-standards
    The Premier League's double standards

by George Kotschy, Bleacher Report

When Dean Marney saw red in Sunday's Premier League encounter between Hull City and Blackburn Rovers, the watching world saw double standards.

Marney was sent off for his reaction to a clumsy challenge by Blackburn's Norwegian midfielder, Morten Gamst Pedersen. Marney's instinctive reaction was to flick out his foot at Pedersen's ankle, making the merest of connections.
    Yet, it was enough to convince Pedersen to dramatically collapse to the ground in a bid to see his opponent dismissed. It worked, and Martin Atkinson produced a straight red card for the Hull midfielder.
    By the laws of the game, Martin Atkinson got the decision right. Such a reaction by Marney could be deemed to be violent conduct, punishable by a straight red card and a three-match ban.
    This was, after all, the medicine received by Shaun Wright-Phillips for a similar response in an altercation with Stoke's Rory Delap. Wright-Phillips was punished retrospectively and missed Sunday's game between West Ham and Manchester City due to his ban.
    I have no problem with the action taken against both Marney and Wright-Phillips, as it is correct by the laws of the game. What irritates me is the inconsistency of these decisions. It seems that there are one set of rules for the mere mortals of the Premier League and another set of rules entirely for the reigning European, World, and PFA Players' Player of the Year.

I am, of course, referring to Cristiano Ronaldo.
    On three occasions this season, Ronaldo has flicked his foot out at opponents after the ball had passed — in exactly the same way Marney and Wright-Phillips acted.
    We first saw Ronaldo react this way during Manchester United's visit to White Hart Lane in mid-December. Michael Dawson won the ball with a crunching challenge next to the touchline, and as he got up to jog back into position, he was caught by a Ronaldo kick.
    Neither Mike Dean nor higher powers decided to punish United's No. 7.
    Less than two weeks later, Ronaldo was at it again. Manchester United was struggling to break down a resolute Stoke City side at The Britannia Stadium when Andy Wilkinson gave the home crowd even more to shout about with a well-timed challenge on their pantomime villain.
    Once again, Ronaldo flicked out, and once again, he escaped any form of punishment. A few minutes later, referee Chris Foy sent Wilkinson off for his second bookable offense — a foul on Ronaldo.
    Exhibit C comes from the recent meeting between Manchester United and Blackburn at Old Trafford. David Dunn was on the receiving end of an ankle tap this time as Ronaldo lied on the floor feeling aggrieved that the Blackburn midfielder had dared to tackle him.
    Ronaldo was already on a yellow card following a dive earlier in the game and went on to punish Blackburn for referee Howard Webb's mistake with a stunning free kick to win the game.

Had Ronaldo been punished for these misdemeanors in the same way as Wright-Phillips and Marney had been, he would have sat out nine matches. Instead he has escaped unscathed.
    Sir Alex Ferguson's role in this situation should not be underestimated. Any straight red cards received by his players are publicly questioned and disputed by the United manager, and he even turns the heat up on the media for highlighting any wrongdoing.
    His reaction to the justified media scrutiny of Wayne Rooney's nasty stamp on Kasper Risgaard is a case in point. Ferguson snarled that the media would be delighted to see Rooney banned and that they played their part in the uproar. Unsurprisingly, the United No. 10 got off.
    This season saw the "respect the ref" campaign introduced.
    Unless the officials start punishing every individual in the same way, harassment and abuse from players and managers will only increase. Premier League referees have to start applying rules to every player regardless of their status or the fearsome reputation of their manager. George Kotschy is a contributor for Bleacher Report, the open source sports network.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

People keep drawing comparison with the SWP incident and Ronaldo. The SWP incident resulted in a player being sent off ...as a result, SWP was banned for what he did. The Ronaldo incidents caused any other player to be ejected?

Regarding Rooney, unless people going to claim the corrupt Fergie have powers over UEFA, why dem never ban him? The video show that even though Rooney stepped on the keeper, there is nothing to say he did it intentionallly.

People need fi stop being petty.
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Lazie,

Far from me to ever accuse you of being objective. Would it be petty if Ronaldo had been banned for 3 games? It is all about your perspective. Man City losing SWP, a key player for them, is a big deal.

I don't understand why can't you just say that the author is right and be done with it? He presents a lucid, clear and well articulated position that could only be countered with an argument presenting similar actions by lesser players. At least, that's the only way I can think of to counter his article. But I suspect you won't find any such player no matter how hard you try, as the man is as close to right as right can be as far as I can tell.

To support him further, I am sure the same argument could be made using Steven Gerrard as the guilty party instead of Ronaldo. There is a refereeing double standard between the prem's stars and their bread and butter players and as the writer says, until that changes, the prem can forget their respect campaign.

YNWA.
        "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

Lazie,

Far from me to ever accuse you of being objective. Would it be petty if Ronaldo had been banned for 3 games? It is all about your perspective. Man City losing SWP, a key player for them, is a big deal.

I don't understand why can't you just say that the author is right and be done with it? He presents a lucid, clear and well articulated position that could only be countered with an argument presenting similar actions by lesser players. At least, that's the only way I can think of to counter his article. But I suspect you won't find any such player no matter how hard you try, as the man is as close to right as right can be as far as I can tell.

To support him further, I am sure the same argument could be made using Steven Gerrard as the guilty party instead of Ronaldo. There is a refereeing double standard between the prem's stars and their bread and butter players and as the writer says, until that changes, the prem can forget their respect campaign.

YNWA.
          Different senarios Paul ... but you refuse to see it. SWP's incident resulted in the Stoke's player being red carded. Its as if its a fascination with wanting Ronaldo red carded .... one newspaper accused him of spitting at Robbie Savage ... I'm surprised the Blecher didn't mention that as well.

Comment

Lazie,

Far from me to ever accuse you of being objective.

Would it be petty if Ronaldo had been banned for 3 games? It is all about your perspective. Man City losing SWP, a key player for them, is a big deal.

YNWA.
            Good talk, sah!
            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
              Different senarios Paul ... but you refuse to see it. SWP's incident resulted in the Stoke's player being red carded. Its as if its a fascination with wanting Ronaldo red carded .... one newspaper accused him of spitting at Robbie Savage ... I'm surprised the Blecher didn't mention that as well.
              I know you use your VCR for ManU matches this season. You have said so here! ...so I know you have seen the great plays by Ronaldo as well as his 'sins'!

We have seen him do exactly what the writer claims! As Paul says, and I also ask, just admit it?!
              "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Lazie,

Far from me to ever accuse you of being objective.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

People keep drawing comparison with the SWP incident and Ronaldo. The SWP incident resulted in a player being sent off ...as a result, SWP was banned for what he did. The Ronaldo incidents caused any other player to be ejected?

Regarding Rooney, unless people going to claim the corrupt Fergie have powers over UEFA, why dem never ban him? The video show that even though Rooney stepped on the keeper, there is nothing to say he did it intentionallly.

People need fi stop being petty.
                  Predictable stuff. "Stop being petty."

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                    I know you use your VCR for ManU matches this season. You have said so here! ...so I know you have seen the great plays by Ronaldo as well as his 'sins'!

We have seen him do exactly what the writer claims! As Paul says, and I also ask, just admit it?!
                    Never said he didn't commit any sins .... the FACT (like Rafa) is the SWP incident is different from Ronaldo's incident, but who want to keep dem head in the sand can continue doing so.

Comment

Never said he didn't commit any sins .... the FACT (like Rafa) is the SWP incident is different from Ronaldo's incident, but who want to keep dem head in the sand can continue doing so.
                      You've got to be kidding me! You are hilarious. It is impossible to have an objective conversation with you. The point about SWP is irrelevant. What the writer is saying is that there is a double standard. I totally agree based on his factual assertions. If you came back and said - "[some player] in games x, y, and z over seasons a, b, and c did exactly what Ronaldo did and was treated exactly the same" then okay - but you have no such argument.

It is sad when people can't be honest. To be clear - I AM A LIVERPOOL PARTISAN - but I see the same unfair dispensation of the arbitration of the game with referee treatment of Gerrard. It is b.s. and further supports the call for video evidence.

Comment

The point about SWP is irrelevant now? I hope you realize its one of the "points" presented by the writer you fully agree with? Just because I don't go down the path with the rest of you I'm not objective? Okay!

There is no need to point out previous calls .... you all act as if the refs normally give the same call. There is a thing they're allowed to use call discrestion don't it?

Comment

Okay. Let's say you're right. Can you please tell me if you think the refs in the Prem dispense their rulings fairly or do they favour the stars? That's all I'm asking.

Comment

Okay. Let's say you're right. Can you please tell me if you think the refs in the Prem dispense their rulings fairly or do they favour the stars? That's all I'm asking.
                            Lets take the Liverpool Chelsea game. Do you recall in the 3rd minute when Gerrard kicked the ball on Bosingwa as he laid on the ground? I think it was the week before a player was carded for the same thing, possibly ejected, but it would be nonsense to deliver the same punishment at that time in the game. There are times when the ref have to use common sense and simply talk to the player ... instead of rushing for the card too quickly.

Comment

I don't dispute that refs have to use common sense, but you are still avoiding the question. Please answer it. Again, "Can you please tell me if you think the refs in the Prem dispense their rulings fairly or do they favour the stars?" - Why is this so hard for you?

Comment

Working...
                              X