No announcement yet.

US Coach Fancies Jamaica to Qualify...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Coach Fancies Jamaica to Qualify...

US coach fancies Jamaica to qualify
    Published: Thursday | March 5, 2009

Gordon Williams, Gleaner Writer
    The United States is expecting "a battle" against Jamaica when the two CONCACAF rivals clash in the first match of final round FIFA Under-20 World Cup football qualifiers tomorrow in Trinidad and Tobago.

According to US coach Thomas Rongen, the current squad is Jamaica's most talented in recent years. He expects both countries to finish in the top two from Group A, which also includes El Salvador and Honduras, and earn an automatic berth at the World Cup in Egypt later this year.

"This is one of the better youth Jamaican teams I've seen in a long time," Rongen said while attending Sunday's practice game between the young Reggae Boyz and Canada in the US "So we're in for a battle, which we understand.

"Based on what I've seen from Honduras and El Salvador, right now, if I was a betting man, I'd put my money on Jamaica and the US."

Impressed coach

America's coach, who also scouted the Boyz during their last qualifying round in St Vincent and the Grenadines, has been impressed by Jamaica's team speed and organisation. He is also wary of the variety of ways the current Boyz can win games, even on the road.

"They have two or three special players," Rongen explained. "(Dever) Orgill, the front-runner, can score some goals obviously. They've got some speed.

"I'm very impressed with the captain at the back (Andre Darby). He's a very good player, plays with the ball, strong physically ... (Andre Blake) the goalkeeper (in St Vincent) I thought was very, very good."

Strikers Reneil Sappleton of Leicester City in England, who joined the Young Boyz last week, and Orgill, who is with Vancouver Whitecaps in North America, are Jamaica's only overseas-based professionals. Several Americans played in the last World Cup, plus nine of their 20-member squad are pros.

"Yes, being able to go to Europe, being able to play in the MLS (US Major League Soccer) daily in a good environment, you would like to think that that could benefit us," Rongen said.

US squad

The US squad includes two players with Jamaican parents. Collegiate goalkeeper Sean Johnson will be a reserve. But Anthony Wallace, a World Cup veteran who is signed with FC Dallas of the MLS, will play a much larger role. The midfielder/defender is also a team captain.

"We expect a lot from Anthony Wallace," the US coach said.

Rongen was not the only possible opponent in T&T who expects Jamaica to do well. Canada, which is in Group B with Mexico, Costa Rica and the host nation, believe the Boyz have narrowed the gap with their regional rivals.

"Athleticism is definitely a great weapon they (Jamaica) have; they have good speed," said coach Tony Fonseca, whose team lost 1-0 to the Boyz.

"The US is always a top team in CONCACAF. You can expect US will be very competitive, very strong and they will match up in the physicality (with Jamaica) ... (But) the teams are very even now."
    "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Karl - we will see how they do. Big game tomorrow.
    "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

God help the other TEAMs if Jamacia plays a TEAM game!

As Rongen says they are strong, some members are quick, they all can 'beat their man' and Reneil Sappleton (he had on #21) is special (size, mobility, good at heading, fast feet and powerful shot...plays TEAM)!
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

I think our best player is the skipper - Darby(?). We should be trying to get him a professional contract abroad as soon as we can. I wish I was able to go down there and watch. Peter R should be checking them out as he lives there.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Marin View Post
          Karl - we will see how they do. Big game tomorrow.
          Do you mean you have a web site where we can watch...or do you mean, we'll get the results?

...and Paul: if we qualify, real proof of our play will be at their FIFA finals? Can they live with the big boys?

...as I have been saying to Lazie and all who will listen, "Talent abounds"! It is crazy that we have not been able to make *better use of that "talent"!

*Qualify for more FIFA World Champs...and once there "perform as if we belong"!
          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Marin View Post
            I think our best player is the skipper - Darby(?). We should be trying to get him a professional contract abroad as soon as we can. I wish I was able to go down there and watch. Peter R should be checking them out as he lives there.
            Those are the age players who should be getting huge contracts! I hope Peter gives us his reports/comments after each match!

Comment

Funny you should ask. I believe there will be a website that you can see it at but I don't know one off hand. If I find one, I will let you know. It might be a long shot though.

Comment

So HL even you Wifey can say good things about Matey?

I wonder if Zeppo see this? Please don't go look for Mr. Rogen with no ill intent.
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Thanks!
                  All the Massive will also search and post it.

Comment

i've known rongen for a few years and i'm actually amazed that he made it so far....he used to coach nova southeastern and the fort lauderdale strikers and even dc united and he didn't never struck me as a particularly good coach.

he has FANTASTIC contacts, cannot deny that.....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

I say good things everyday Assasin.

Juss that some folks just concentrate on the negatives.

Iz like --all we hear about is the ~8% of the folks who are unemployed. Very little is said about the whopping 92% employment rate.

The U-20 appears focused. I am sure the younger BoyZ are planning to see the pyramids.
                      The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

EVERYDAY? reading really overrated bwoy...

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

hehehee

BTW Gamma(globulin): did you know that being right is also overrated!?

As a frequent participant of this forum, I am sure you have seen lots of examples.
                          Last edited by HL; March 5, 2009, 07:10 PM.

HL

Comment

well hl (haematoma) if i got it wrong as often as you...that would indeed be my mantra too...the other thing is tek yuh owna advice .... The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

Comment

I have gotten 'it' wrong more times than i have gotten it right.

Considering my present location on the "food chain"....I am extremely comfortable with that.

HL

Comment

Working...
                              X