RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Liverpool can’t win the Champions League...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Liverpool can’t win the Champions League...

After Liverpool's systematic dismantling of Real Madrid, many are understandably tipping the Merseysiders for Champions League glory this year.

It's written in the stars, they say.
    Liverpool won their first European Cup in Rome in 1977, and triumphed there again seven years later when Bruce Grobbelaar's spaghetti legs spooked AS Roma in their own backyard.

And with hated rivals Manchester United on course to equal the Reds' record of 18 top-flight titles, it would certainly ease the pain if the Anfield outfit secured their sixth European Cup to United's three.
    But if you know your history, Liverpool’s name isn't on the Cup*.

It's not because Rafa Benitez will be distracted by domestic affairs, be they chasing United's tails in the Premier League or interviewing prospective LFC owners to ensure they're pliable.

It's not because his squad rotation – a phrase strangely absent from the reaction to the Madrid massacre – will go accidentally awry and leave him fielding a half-dead, half-useless team in the final (although things eventually sorted themselves out in Istanbul).

It's not even because Torres and Gerrard will be bundled into the back of a car by a mysterious man with a Scottish accent.

No, Liverpool have cooked their own goose by beating Real Madrid.
    Because for the last six seasons, whoever boots the Bernabeu boys out of the Champions League has then been defeated by the eventual champions.

Last year, Roma knocked out the Spaniards in the last 16 and were promptly dispatched with aplomb by a Manchester United side bound for triumph in Moscow.

The year before, Bayern Munich knocked Madrid out at the same stage and were swiftly dismissed by AC Milan, who beat Liverpool in the Athens final.

That was the second successive time an English club had lost the final, Arsenal having succumbed to Barcelona in Paris.
    Why? Because they'd beaten Real Madrid in the last 16, thanks to Thierry Henry's brilliant individual goal at the Bernabeu.
    The year before that there had been English glory, thanks to Liverpool's heroic Istanbul comeback – which was surely founded on their sudden realisation that they had previously beaten Juventus, conquerors of you-know-who in the last 16.

Juve should have known better. They got as close as anyone to beating the ju-ju in 2003 when they shared a penalty shootout with AC Milan, before the footballing gods extracted revenge for the Old Lady's semi-final dismissal of Los Merengues.

The Curse of Madrid is partly responsible for the Cult of Mourinho, too.
    Much of his reputation is founded on winning the Champions League with Porto, who easily overcame an oddly dispirited Monaco when the Monegasques paid the price of their Morientes-inspired win over Madrid.

That's six successive seasons in which those who have eliminated Real Madrid have been beaten by the eventual winners. The year before that, the trophy was won by Madrid themselves, powered along by all-action Steve McManaman.
    Man, that seems a long time ago...

*Well, it is, because they've won it before and have thus been engraved on the trophy.

http://fourfourtwo.com/blogs/fourfou...ns-league.aspx
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

GUNNERS time!
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Lazie, this means then (if you think United will win the cup) that Liverpool will have to face them either in the q's semis or finals. I don't think you will see an all-English finals because Uefa will rig it that way (yes, I think dem tief) and worse, I think Uefa is terrified for human safety if Liverpool and Manure face off in the finals - that would be a recipe for some serious bodily harm. So my suspicion is that you will see Liverpool face the scum before the finals. That said, Liverpool is famous for breaking jinxes...so I don't take too much stock in this.
      "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Marin View Post
        Lazie, this means then (if you think United will win the cup) that Liverpool will have to face them either in the q's semis or finals. I don't think you will see an all-English finals because Uefa will rig it that way (yes, I think dem tief) and worse, I think Uefa is terrified for human safety if Liverpool and Manure face off in the finals - that would be a recipe for some serious bodily harm. So my suspicion is that you will see Liverpool face the scum before the finals. That said, Liverpool is famous for breaking jinxes...so I don't take too much stock in this.
        Its not the first time I've seen that opinion from you about The Empire facing Livafool in the final. Why would there be violence? Both team play each other a minimum of 2 times each year and there isn't a violent confrontation after the game as far as I'm aware.

Is it a Liverpool thing for y'all to assume the worst of others? How yuh fi say dat bout UEFA? What proof yuh have? Wasn't there an all English final last season? The season before, wasn't it AC Milan that prevented an all English final?
        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Lazie, I am saying this from my own experience. Keep in mind I am in England every month and go to Liverpool at least 2x a year over the past 3 years. I have been to at least 2 prem matches a season over the same period and many champions league games. As I write this I am in England heading home tomorrow.

You have no idea Lazie, what these two sets of fans are capable of. You have to take a trip to Anfield to see the conditions that these people live in...you would believe you are in west Kingston. Well, not that bad, but bad enough.

The point is that we are not talking about people with much to live for other than their support of a club. Same thing in Salford, where Manure is. You also don't realise just how much they dislike each other, it is not normal.

The problem also stems from the difference in authorities. The English police are far more effective than anything Uefa and the Italians could ever match. They are useless. Just go back to the CL game where dida got bombed. Tell me when you have ever seen a prem game where flares get lit? This is routine in Italy.

Russia was different. I was there. The Russian police were out in force and they were incredibly intimidating. I saw them drag two chelski fans by the neck right in front of me; as the the two policemen grabbed them, about 20 more came in out of nowhere and put themselves between the crowd and the arrested men. It was obvious they meant business. They were also out in force in public places. I am not so optimistic of this happening in Rome. Another problem will stem from the colours as both teams wear Red - that will create much confusion and make it more difficult for the authorities to visually separate partisans...and when the authorities are incompetent to begin with, I worry.

Anyway, I hope I am wrong, but if the two teams are to meet, I hope it is anywhere but in the finals.
          "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Marin View Post
            Lazie, I am saying this from my own experience. Keep in mind I am in England every month and go to Liverpool at least 2x a year over the past 3 years. I have been to at least 2 prem matches a season over the same period and many champions league games. As I write this I am in England heading home tomorrow.

You have no idea Lazie, what these two sets of fans are capable of. You have to take a trip to Anfield to see the conditions that these people live in...you would believe you are in west Kingston. Well, not that bad, but bad enough.

The point is that we are not talking about people with much to live for other than their support of a club. Same thing in Salford, where Manure is. You also don't realise just how much they dislike each other, it is not normal.

The problem also stems from the difference in authorities. The English police are far more effective than anything Uefa and the Italians could ever match. They are useless. Just go back to the CL game where dida got bombed. Tell me when you have ever seen a prem game where flares get lit? This is routine in Italy.

Russia was different. I was there. The Russian police were out in force and they were incredibly intimidating. I saw them drag two chelski fans by the neck right in front of me; as the the two policemen grabbed them, about 20 more came in out of nowhere and put themselves between the crowd and the arrested men. It was obvious they meant business. They were also out in force in public places. I am not so optimistic of this happening in Rome. Another problem will stem from the colours as both teams wear Red - that will create much confusion and make it more difficult for the authorities to visually separate partisans...and when the authorities are incompetent to begin with, I worry.

Anyway, I hope I am wrong, but if the two teams are to meet, I hope it is anywhere but in the finals.
            I'm aware the fans don't like each other, but any confrontation could cause their beloved team to be suspended by UEFA. I want the team good enough to reach the finals and if it is Liverpool and The Empire ... so be it.

Comment

You don't get it. Hooligans are not fans. They don't think about the next 5 minutes much less the next season or a ban. Still, I understand your sentiment and I could be wrong. I am speculating.

Comment

Working...
              X