• Show
Clear All

• Finally Obrien White in Jamaican press

window.google_render_ad();

White gets ready for his next chance

Published: Saturday | March 14, 2009

Photo by Gordon Williams
    O'Brian White Gordon Williams, Gleaner Writer
    O'Brian White is used to taking his chances. Nearly 50 goals scored by the Jamaican in United States college [COLOR=orange ! important][COLOR=orange ! important]football[/COLOR][/COLOR] proved that.
    The striker is just happy that someone else is willing to take a chance - on him - in a situation where it was easy to turn away.
    In a game for the [COLOR=orange ! important][COLOR=orange ! important]University [COLOR=orange ! important]of [/COLOR][COLOR=orange ! important]Connecticut[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] on October 18, less than a year after a 23-goal season crowned him the best United States collegiate player, and with professional clubs drooling over his prospects, White was cut down by a tackle that tore the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) in his knee. Doctors who operated in November ruled him out of the game for up to nine months.
    Huge gamble
    But Toronto FC, entering its third year of Major League [COLOR=orange ! important][COLOR=orange ! important]Soccer[/COLOR][/COLOR] - the top pro competition in North America - ignored all the warning signs and picked the native of Ocho Rios fourth overall in January's MLS draft. The club signed White to a multi-year contract.
    Many considered the decision a huge gamble. Without the injury, White was tipped to be the top pick. Now, some called him damaged goods.
    But not Toronto FC The club had scouted White for a while, gauging not only his physical talents, but mental toughness as well. It is banking on the same punch that brought him 46 goals at UConn between 2005 and the injury-shortened season of 2008.
    "I've known him for three years, through the [COLOR=orange ! important][COLOR=orange ! important]college[/COLOR][/COLOR] system," said Mo Johnston, Toronto FC's director of soccer. "He's a strong kid and when he gets behind people he can score goals. And he's very, very confident. I'm more than positive he has a serious future in the game. So, O'Brian White, for us, is a long-term project, not short term. I don't see (drafting him) as a risk."
    Eager to repay
    Neither does White. The rookie's recovery is ahead of schedule. On February 26, he jogged for the first time since the injury during the club's pre-season camp in the US There was no pain or swelling after. That made Johnston "very, very happy".
    The former national youth player is eager to repay Toronto FC's faith.
    "A lot of days rehab, for many hours, definitely gonna pay off in the long run for them," White said. "I'm definitely gonna do my best and show them that they take the risk of drafting me, but with risk is reward. I mean, it's not any team that would be doing this. So I'm grateful."
    Toronto FC's immediate reward, will be to get off to a positive start in its first game of the MLS season on March 21. White's impact will come later, perhaps by June or July. A lot will be riding on it. In 2008, Toronto FC finished last in the MLS's eastern conference. The team scored 34 goals, the league's second lowest tally and failed to make the play-offs.
    These days, White is kept busy getting in shape and learning Toronto's system of play. his teammates are anxious to see what he has to offer.
    "I know I'm happy and excited to see O'Brian here," said Canada international Dwayne De Rosario, an established MLS star who joined Toronto FC this season. "Of course he's injured, but I'm anticipating his arrival on the field to see what he can bring to the table."
    Aggressive playing style
    Toronto FC's coach John Carver, who, like Johnston, were pros in the British club system, is confident in what White will be like when fully fit.
    "We know what his qualities are," Carver said. "He's got pace, he's got strength, he's got power, but he is also terribly good."
    White's aggressive playing style might be one quality which, ironically, threatens his recovery.
    Wary that the natural explosiveness of his 6' 1", 175-pound frame could cause a recurrence of the injury if it brings him back too soon, the club is patient.
    "Look, if it's July, August or September, I don't really care," Johnston said.
    White is not about to squander endless hours in the gym rebuilding his strength and flexibility.
    "I'm anxious, yeah, but you know I'm just taking my time to make sure when I come back I'm ready and come back and take care of the situation," said White.
    What matters now is that he's comfortable. White, who grew up in Pimento Walk and attended Ocho Rios High, moved from Jamaica to live with his mother, Paulette Henry, in the Toronto area when he was a teenager.
    His father, Jackie White, is in Connecticut, where he completed a [COLOR=orange ! important][COLOR=orange ! important]bachelor's [COLOR=orange ! important]degree [/COLOR][COLOR=orange ! important]in[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] sociology at UConn.
    He's forging friendships with new teammates, including De Rosario, Rohan Ricketts and Johann Smith, who have strong Jamaican ties.
    Getting support
    White also knows several Jamaicans in the MLS, like Dane Richards of New York Red Bulls, who starred as a rookie last year and Tyrone Marshall of Seattle Sounders.
    He is getting support from the large Jamaican community in Toronto, part of the club's solid fan base. Toronto FC is taking care of his every need.
    Now, the remainder of the deal for White, who is eyeing a spot on Jamaica's team, is up to him. A torn ACL has done little to dent his confidence.
    "Once I come back to who I was, or even at 90 per cent of who I was, I'll definitely be good for MLS," White said.
    And taking chances again.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

finally.. a who wirte it sickko...

Comment

Working...
    X