I Am Now in Jamaica

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Am Now in Jamaica

I am now in Jamaica, staying in Portmore. I have been there since Friday afternoon. I am at an Internet Cafe in Port Henderson, down the road from the hotel where I am staying.

Saturday, I went to see Independence City play Meadows at Ellierslie Pen in Spanish Town (Albion) The two teams were evenly matched, and ended in a 1-1 draw. We scored in the 55th minute, and Meadows scored in the 80th minute on a corner kick.

We had two possible goals which may have been lobbed over the goalkeeper and across the goal line, but the referee ruled the ball did not cross the goal line before being cleared out. One of the two linesmen did not show for the game. If there was a third official, the ruling might have been more definitive.

Sunday, I went to Tony Spaulding Sports Complex to pay tribute to Courtney, to see what he helped to build. I was very impressed by the complex and the professionalism by which the staff of Arnett Gardens FC conduct themselves.

Except for some sloppy midfield play , Arnett Gardens played well, but they couldn't find the net in a 1-0 loss to Village United. Village scored in the sixth minute on a direct free kick, and withstood pressure the remainder of the match.

Some of the Arnett staff recognized my RBSC T-shirt and asked if I knew Courntey. I said yes, he was my friend, told them how passionate he was about football, how on my first trip to Kingston, he, Ohene, and Mosiah were constantly arguing at full throat about football, and the last time I saw Courtney in New York.

I eventually went to the pub behind the stadium, and there I met two gentlemen who were with Courtney when he died. It was not a pretty picture. Courtney was joking, standing, leaning against the back of a chair. All of a sudden, he turned serious, got a funny look in his face, made some sort of a gurgling noise, spun around and collapsed.

When I left the stadium, I offered the following prayer to Courtney:

[b][/b Courtney, it was an honor to have known you. You can be proud of what you have accomplished here at Arnett Gardens. Your work is not done. Reach down, grab Mr. Boxhill and Mr. Burrell by the scruff of the neck, bang their heads together, and tell them it is time for Jamaica Football Federation to concentrate on what takes place on the pitch, not at JFF Headquarters.

Tell them it is time to put an end to THIS COMPLETE AND TOTAL F*CKERY !

Have a good time up there, my brother, You earned it. !r

RE: I Am Now in Jamaica

Bruce you are the best!
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

<DIV>Bruce, I was in Mobay last weekend. At the very least, let's try to link up at the Peru game. Call me at 836-1530.</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>Welcome back!</DIV>

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Good show Bruce! Tell it like it is.

Mosiah, I will keep that # too -will be there in Dec. for a brief visit
        Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
        - Langston Hughes

Comment

Don't keep it if you not going to use it!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Is one ting mi did love bout Mankind, man call di spade ebry time. Nuh tek back nuh chat. Respect an honor to di man ebry time. Fadah bless him fambily an give dem di strength an blessings fi fight di good fight.

Comment

bruce you are a noble soldier.. respect to you... a very moving account of mankind final moments... i am still not quite over his passing...
              'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

Working...
              X