Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X, here is a little more balanced reporting

20/03/2009 22:30, Report by James TuckBoss puzzled by Rafa remark
    Sir Alex Ferguson admits he is baffled by Rafael Benitez's latest comments about United's spending power.

The Liverpool boss claimed last week, not for the first time, that a disparity in "players, transfer records and wages" is the key reason his side have failed to end United's Premier League dominance.

Benitez also suggested United's comparative success recently could be attributed to "£100million spent on players and a big stadium".

But, having done some research, Sir Alex has dismissed the remark and even predicted there would be a huge increase in spending from Benitez now that he has signed a contract extension at Anfield.

When asked at a press conference on Friday what he thought of the Spaniard's claim, the United boss told reporters: "I was amazed at that one, so I got some of the coaches to check it out because I was sure I hadn’t spent that much money.

"He said our spending power is more than theirs but it’s not. It worked out that he’d spent £24million more than United in the last five years. The most amazing fact is that they have used 50 players in their reserve squad this season.

"I think you’ll see Rafa produce an incredible spending spree. I think that’s an absolute certainty now he’s signed a new contract. There’s talk of a recession, but I don’t think there’ll be one at Liverpool this year.

"I couldn’t understand the figures at the beginning, but now I can see he’s well ahead of us in spending terms over the last five years."

Both clubs have undoubtedly flexed their financial muscle recently in pursuit of success at home and abroad. United have brought in the likes of Dimitar Berbatov, Michael Carrick and Owen Hargreaves in the last three seasons, while Liverpool spent a reported £40million on players last summer – half on which was on Robbie Keane.

But Ferguson insists what sets United apart is the focus on youth, whether homegrown or scouted at an early age and then nurtured through to the first team.

"We’ve signed 18 players in the last five years and eight of them are youngsters," he continued. "We try to develop our young players, like Danny Welbeck for example. We’ve always done that; maybe other clubs are different.

"Obviously Rafa has a different philosophy to mine, but that’s the great thing about football – everyone’s got a different way of doing things.

"That’s why, when a new manager comes to a club, you see a change of direction, or a change of staff or philosophy, because we’ve got our own ways of doing things."
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Balanced? Yuh nuh see that these Liverpool victims not interested in balance?
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Notice that he didn't say anything about "net" spending. That is still the only part of the equation that matters. If he has figures to show that Rafa has outspent him on that front, then I stand corrected, but I would bet my left nut that he doesn't because it's not true. No matter, whatever the outlay, Liverpool still has a way to go to have a deep enough squad to challenge seriously on all fronts.
      "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

Working...
      X