Here You Go Karl I Know You Are A Stickler For The Laws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here You Go Karl I Know You Are A Stickler For The Laws

Brad Friedel is an honest man, but the FA have set a dangerous precedent with their ludicrous decision to rescind his one-match ban for a professional foul on Fernando Torres.

Having served Blackburn Rovers with distinction before moving on to have a fine season with Aston Villa, Friedel is a man who deserves respect.

If he says he tried to get out of the way rather than trip Torres as the Spaniard attempted to score a fifth goal for Liverpool on Sunday, we should believe him.

But the sympathy ends there, because his reasons for unfair dismissal represented an even less valid defence than Villa’s exploding back four.

Friedel’s complaint about his red card was surprising and his decision to appeal baffling.

This seemed a classic case of an appeal so spurious that it warranted an extension of the ban for wasting the FA’s time. Yet, incredibly, the appeal was upheld and the automatic one-match suspension withdrawn.

Fifteen years ago, Friedel might have had a point. As Torres pushed the ball past him, the American attempted to get out of the way.

But the days of intent counting for anything – a flashback to a million park games where the phrase ‘I went for the ball, ref’ was shouted ad nauseam – ended when the laws changed in 1996.

Friedel advanced to challenge Torres and only when it was too late did he curl up like a hedgehog on the M6.

Whether he could have avoided Torres was irrelevant, the only thing that mattered was that Torres could not have avoided him and a goalscoring opportunity had been denied.

Some have pointed to the presence of a covering defender, but had it been the other way round a covering goalkeeper would not have been enough to prevent a red card for a defender.

Many had sympathy for Friedel’s plight and felt common sense should prevail.

But the day the FA rules purely on a sympathy vote is a concerning one.

The laws of the game are the bedrock on which the sport is built and the appeal panel must have begun to realise they had made an error when the referees’ governing body started angrily waving the rulebook at them.

An explanation must now be given to avoid mistrust of the secret shufflings within Soho Square, where rules should really be rules.

That, of course, is unless it involves a couple of disorientated Argentinians and the dear old auntie of English football - West Ham, not Niemi - in which case it is probably best to make things up as we go along.

And now the essence of the professional foul has been thrown into jeopardy.

Is it okay to bring down an attacking player, providing it is made to look accidental?

Could Willie Young be digging the boots out of the garage and making a comeback, if first he learns a little subtlety?

It was once said that ‘young men know the rules, but old men know the exceptions’.

One can only hope the venerable sages on the FA appeal panel let us in on their little secret some time soon.

Is it okay to bring down an attacking player, providing it is made to look accidental?

No but what if it is an accident? Does the attacker have a right to the ball regardless? We we may as well just stand up and nuh go fi the ball then. If that is the rule then if an attacker accidentally hurt a goalie he should also be REDCARDED within the 18 yard box.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post

No but what if it is an accident? Does the attacker have a right to the ball regardless?
      What? So if it's an accident it's not a foul? Nobody has a right to the ball but we are talking about a specific case where the attacker had already won possession of the ball. As for the last part of your statement are you forgetting about the "denying a goalscoring opportunity" part? Would the attacker have denied the goalkeeper of a goalscoring opportunity? You and Karl have access to the same water supply or something?

Comment

it look like to contagious to wrath.. quarantine karl .....NOW!!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

you can't deny the right of the attacker but you can't deny the right of the keeper to go to the ball either.

Acident will happen in football and you can't give people red card for accident. If he willfully hit the striker or if he intended to obstruct the player I could understand but none of those were his intention.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
            you can't deny the right of the attacker but you can't deny the right of the keeper to go to the ball either.

Acident will happen in football and you can't give people red card for accident. If he willfully hit the striker or if he intended to obstruct the player I could understand but none of those were his intention.
            The goalkeeper can go to the ball all he wants but if he doesn't get the ball then him get wha di duck get. Why can't someone be red carded for an accident? If it was determined that he Torres had a clear goal scoring opportunity and Friedel impeded him then it is a red card. When since intent come into this? He impeded the player whether he meant to or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Bricktop View Post
              What trick you pulled that prevents a full quote of your post?

...anyway the guy is a joker - 'bout
              ...a professional foul being made to look like an accident!
              It was incidental to play and an accidental contact with Friedel avoiding contact and Torres initiating an assault!

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

What? So if it's an accident it's not a foul? Nobody has a right to the ball but we are talking about a specific case where the attacker had already won possession of the ball. As for the last part of your statement are you forgetting about the "denying a goalscoring opportunity" part? Would the attacker have denied the goalkeeper of a goalscoring opportunity? You and Karl have access to the same water supply or something?
                Brickie have you ever seen accidental contact being no foul in the game of...not jax or whatever it is you have been basing your position...but football?
                "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

yuh nuh see 'ow mi run weh lef dis ya topic!

mi gone again! dem virus deh potent!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                    Brickie have you ever seen accidental contact being no foul in the game of...not jax or whatever it is you have been basing your position...but football?
                    Yes. Not after I ran round you with the ball and am gonna buss up your net though

Comment

Yes. Not after I ran round you with the ball and am gonna buss up your net though
                      You thin it was a foul!
                      I do not!

I am not going to get you to change your opiniion. You cannot get me to change mine!

Respek!
                      No foul!

Comment

Working...
                      X