John Barnes says he'd make a good club manager and fancies G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Barnes says he'd make a good club manager and fancies G

John Barnes says he'd make a good club manager and fancies Guus Hiddink style job share role
    By Darren Lewis 25/03/2009

John Barnes wants another crack at club management after restoring pride to the Jamaican national team.

The Liverpool legend, 45, was sacked as boss of Celtic nine years ago.
    Since taking over as coach of the Reggae Boyz in November, however, Barnes has won six of his eight games and drawn the others.

He has played some impressive football and conceded just two goals.
    The run saw Jamaica lift the 2008 Caribbean Cup in December, a competition in which they fell at the first hurdle in 2007. Yet Barnes admits he is interested in a club job and would consider time-sharing like Guus Hiddink, who combines his roles as Russia coach with managing Chelsea.

Former England winger Barnes said: "Depending on the role, I can see a lot of people doing it.

"Hiddink has proved it can be done because of what he achieved at PSV when he was in charge of Australia.

"So if he can do it, other people can definitely do it."

After winning friends and influencing people with Jamaica's improved displays, Barnes has no fears about club football - despite the pressure being greater than ever before.

Since August, over 30 bosses have parted company with their clubs - including World Cup-winning Big Phil Scolari and Manchester United legends Roy Keane and Paul Ince. Yet Barnes insisted: "First of all I want to get back in because it's something I love.

"Secondly, the pressure doesn't bother me because I'm not looking to get in at the likes of Chelsea.

"I'd like to be at a club where I could be given an opportunity. I believe I'd have the necessary knowhow and vision to empower players to create a balanced football situation.

"It would be nice to be at a club where people - fans as well as the chairman - support and believe in you, rather than thinking: 'You are lucky to be here'. At Celtic, I had won 10 of the first 12 matches but they were still questioning every decision.

"Then suddenly Henrik Larsson breaks his leg and Paul Lambert breaks his jaw the very next week. And all of a sudden the dressing room and the board doesn't keep faith... and that's it."

While Roberto Di Matteo, the ex-Chelsea midfielder, enjoys universal backing for the job he is doing at League One MK Dons, Ince was sacked at Blackburn after losing the dressing room. The former Arsenal hero Tony Adams was also among the clutch of managers booted out quickly after failing to convince the players of his ability at Portsmouth.

But Barnes said: "You will go through a patch where you lose games. Mark Hughes has lost games at Manchester City, Sir Alex Ferguson lost games in the early days at Manchester United. But their respective boards have stood by them."

The ex-Watford forward went on: "What I always say is that I can be as bad as anybody else!

http://ad.uk.doubleclick.net/ad/dail...4;ord=12689115

"By that, I mean I have seen a lot of managers get sacked yet still bounce back into management and be given another opportunity... and I am no worse than them. So I'd like that same chance.

"Maybe I will need to go to a League One team or a side which is at the bottom of the Championship. But working with players at international level I have seen the improvement in them and I know that I can do that in a League situation. All it takes is that backing and belief."

Barnes also believes clubs need to take a stand to defeat the kind of player-power unseating managers up and down the land.

"Players have a duty to perform. It's as simple as that," he explained.

"It's the coach that goes upstairs but players should not have any opinions that are passed on to directors or chairmen or whatever.
    "The reason is simply that a player will do what's right for him.
    "That's why I believe a manager will only get success if the team is successful.

That means everyone buying into what HE is trying to do."

Barnes extended his eye-catching sequence of results in London last month when Jamaica held the powerful Nigerians to a 0-0 draw in the New Den at Millwall.

Bottom of their World Cup qualifying group when he arrived, he has inspired the Reggae Boyz to power up the table.

They missed out on the final stages on goal difference due to their bad start under the previous regime.

But Barnes is satisfied with his work. He pointed out: "We've done well with our results, but we have to keep doing it. That's what I keep stressing - regardless of whether we are playing Mexico in a qualifier or Nigeria in a friendly.

"Every time you train, the habits you adopt are the habits you take into games.

"The Jamaica players have all got good technical ability but now they've got tactical responsibility. And that is where I think they all have
    improved."

BARNES: THE MANAGER
    1999 Appointed as head coach at Scottish giants Celtic - his first managerial role - but suffers a torrid debut season culminating in an embarrassing Cup defeat to minnows Inverness Caledonian Thistle.

2000 Sacked by Celtic shortly after the defeat to Thistle, just eight months after taking charge.

2008 Appointed manager of Jamaica - and immediately wins the Caribbean Cup with a 2-0 win over Grenada.
    Last edited by Karl; March 27, 2009, 12:08 PM.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Use wi yah, Johnny!

heh heh!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

bwoy...is that writing i see there on that wall.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

a when a Gold Cup again?
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
          bwoy...is that writing i see there on that wall.
          Regardless of the Capt's outburst...his actions fall within statements on "lack of fuding" for di football!
          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Money. A dat me a seh long time. Nuff people here always a talk bout dis yah program and dat deh program, or dis coach or dat coach, but nobaddy naw address how all these programs will be funded. The JFF is bruk! The captain haffi use some creative thinking and sweet talk fe get the players fe play and coach fe coach while maintaining a sense of control for the public (both local and international). JB is willing to work for little or nothing in order to advance his career. Sometimes a man haffi suck salt fe advance.
            Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
              The ex-Watford forward went on: "What I always say is that I can be as bad as anybody else!
              Watford!!!?? With no mention of Liverpool!!?? That's like referring to Romario as the former Miami Fusion player with no mention of Barcelona!! That's just wrong.
              "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

"Bottom of their World Cup qualifying group when he arrived, he has inspired the Reggae Boyz to power up the table.

They missed out on the final stages on goal difference due to their bad start under the previous regime."

a eediat ting dat a weh dem tek whitmore fah

Comment

Working...
                X