FSC Wins USA Broadcast Rights To UEFA Cup in 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FSC Wins USA Broadcast Rights To UEFA Cup in 2010

Posted Mar 30, 2009 8:15PM By Michael Cardillo (RSS feed)
    Filed Under: European Soccer , Soccer , UEFA Champions League

This dropped out of the sky Monday, the fact that Fox Soccer Channel won the American rights to broadcast the UEFA Champions League starting next season, edging out ESPN -- the self-proclaimed 'Worldwide Leader in Sports.' Fox Soccer hasn't made an official statement, but ESPN has apparently confirmed the deal.

The ramifications for the American soccer fan could pretty large -- namely because ESPN is currently available in almost triple the homes compared to FSC. Granted the games are usually on during the middle of the afternoon in the States, but these certainly cuts down on the number of eyeballs on the games, meaning Fox must have blown UEFA's doors off with its bid.

For Fox, this has to be considered a major power play to get FSC on more homes in the country. It'll be a lot easier to convince carriers and soccer fans to add the channel now that it's home to the two biggest non-World Cup entities -- the Champions League and the Premier League.

Monday's out of left field announcement is a good news/bad news scenario for American soccer fans. It's hard to overlook the major fact that ESPN is much more readily available than FSC. Beyond that, it's probably a good thing since it's a network devoted to soccer and will likely develop some original programming around the competition. It'll likely also force FSC to up its production value from the ground floor, which won't hurt.

What this means for the long-term future of soccer on ESPN is harder to figure out right now. I'm guessing ESPN retained its Champions League rights in other markets, like the Pacific Rim. ESPN is already committed to the 2010 and 2014 World Cups, but beyond that, who knows? It's a safe guess the Bottom Line won't be running scores of a CSKA/Lyon match any time in the near future.

ESPN aired the matches and did have a weekly show on ESPN Classic, but beyond that, the competition was relegated to the back burner. Then again, the mere fact the Champions League aired on ESPN was probably a good thing for the growth of the sport in America. It's odd ESPN, which seemed so gung-ho toward soccer post Euro-2008, would lose these rights, along with striking out on the Premier League. Will ESPN bid for the next World Cup or renew its MLS contract when that runs out?

And if it means more Bobby McMahon in our lives, that's never a bad thing.

Awful news. FSC isn't broadcast in HD

Comment

YAY!!!! More knowlegable announcers and analysts.
      Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

FSC has been broadcasting UEFA for the past 2 - 3 years. I'd rather work with FSC than ESPN afterall FSC.. Football Sport Channel need fi get the rights fi the Champions League as well.
        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
          FSC has been broadcasting UEFA for the past 2 - 3 years. I'd rather work with FSC than ESPN afterall FSC.. Football Sport Channel need fi get the rights fi the Champions League as well.
          How can you stand watching non HD television?

Comment

Originally posted by Bricktop View Post
            Lazie nuh have a HD TV, and him naw go know the difference. Its like posing that question to Mo.
            Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Bricktop View Post
                You can watch yuh ESPN ... I'll watch my FSC. All dem want now is La Liga and Champions League. When FSC move to HD, then I'll consider it.
                "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
                  You can watch yuh ESPN ... I'll watch my FSC. All dem want now is La Liga and Champions League. When FSC move to HD, then I'll consider it.
                  Mi cyaan watch Flintstones TV sorry boss

Comment

FSC does have HD.....at least in my neck of the woods. But Brickie having HD tv nuh mek nuh difference fe you because yuh eyes dem nuh good. Yuh see Torres foul big time goalie in HD and yuh naw call it....or is just lie yuh lie?
                    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
                      FSC does have HD.....at least in my neck of the woods.
                      Yuh sure is me a di blind one?

ESPN and ESPN2 are available in 98 million homes and have broadcast Champions League matches in high-definition this season, while FSC reaches 34 million households and has not yet started hi-def telecasts.

Comment

Working...
                      X