• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seba to tour Czech Republic

Seba to tour Czech Republic

Adrian Frater, News Editor
    Western Bureau
    In a bid to provide international exposure for its players, especially its exciting teenage brigade, former National Premier League outfit Seba United will be embarking on a two-game tour of the Czech Republic

from April 11-18.

"We see this as a marvellous opportunity to expose our players to what international football is all about," said businessman Orville Powell, president of Seba United, twice national champions. "I am sure the benefit to the players will be tremendous."

professional aspirations
    The players selected to make the trip include several members of the victorious St James High School team, which won both 2008 daCosta and Ben Francis cups before being foiled in their bid for the Olivier Shield by St George's College.

"This is something that should be applauded and all credit must go to Seba United for creating this opportunity for the youngsters," said Pastor Hugh Solomon, coach of St James High.

"I know some of the players have professional aspirations so, hopefully, this opportunity will serve to develop their hunger for the game at the international level," he added.

Having secured the blessing of the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) and acquired the requisite visas to enter Europe, the Seba United delegation, which will be joined by JFF vice-president Bruce Gaynor, is slated to fly out of Montego Bay via British Airways next Saturday afternoon.

St James High School star striker Allan Ottey, who won last year's ISSA/Pepsi/Digicel 'Golden Boot Award' after emerging top schoolboy goalscorer with 26 goals, is looking forward to the trip and relishing the opportunity to showcase his talent.

"I am looking forward to going there and doing well in the two games," said the 16-year-old Ottey, who is also a member of the national Under-20 squad.
    "You never can tell, a talent scout might see me and like what he sees," Ottey said.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Working...
X