Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U.S. 3-0 T&T: Altidore hits hat trick

U.S. 3-0 T&T: Altidore hits hat trick

Jozy Altidore made the most of his chance.

After sitting on the bench for European clubs during most of the season, the 19-year-old became the youngest American with an international hat trick, leading the United States over Trinidad and Tobago 3-0 in a World Cup qualifier on Wednesday night.

He was acquired by Spain's Villarreal from Major League Soccer's Red Bulls last June, scored one goal in six matches and then was loaned in January to second division Xerez.

(continue)
    "Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
    - Xavi

Altidore shines as U.S. dismantles Trinidad & Tobago

When it comes to the U.S. attack, it long has been thought that Brian Ching was merely keeping the forward position warm for Jozy Altidore, especially given manager Bob Bradley's tendency to play with a single striker. But based on Wednesday's 3-0 dismantling of Trinidad and Tobago, which featured an Altidore hat trick, it's clear the Americans' offense functions a heck of lot better when both players are in the lineup.

Altidore's spot in the starting 11 now is etched in stone after he rallied the U.S. during Saturday's 2-2 draw in El Salvador and then did plenty to take apart the Soca Warriors. But he also owes a debt of gratitude to Ching. The Hawaiian not only had one of the assists on Altidore's first goal in the 13th minute, but he also did plenty to occupy the Trinidad and Tobago defense, and it was Ching's unselfish run to the near post that created the space for Altidore to fire home his second goal with 19 minutes remaining. Add in the physical presence provided by both players, and it's clear the combination they provide up top can be devastatingly effective.

(continue)
    "Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
    - Xavi

Comment

Altidore hat-trick welcome bonus for young striker

Jozy Altidore scored three impressive goals of varying skill against Trinidad and Tobago, but all were equally important to the youngster.

The 19-year-old has struggled to crack the first team in Spain playing with La Liga 2 side, Xerez, but a start with the U.S. national side made his problems in Europe seem like a distant memory.

“I think that in any situation, you have to earn it,” said Altidore of what needs to be done to get a place with Xerez. “It’s a tough lesson for any player out there, including myself. You don’t always know what’s needed to be successful, it’s a work in progress, it’s not going to happen over night. I think that at my club team right now, I’m doing what I can to, but the most important thing is to keep working.”

(continue)
      - Xavi

Comment

His movement and the 1st and 2nd goals were good!
        Fitness suspect!
        ...and he shall surely improve!

Could have had at least 4...the last one should ahve been saved - with that 5.
        Good show yute!
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
          His movement and the 1st and 2nd goals were good!
          Fitness suspect!
          ...and he shall surely improve!

Could have had at least 4...the last one should ahve been saved - with that 5.
          Good show yute!

And to think that Altidore is of Haitian descent and couldve represented Haiti but chose USA. Interesting considering the Haitians need a baller like that.

Comment

What's the point again? Every American is of "some descent" or other.
            Peter R

Comment

Very true.
              - Xavi

Comment

Working...
              X