Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sven Goran Ericsson is out....

Un fútbol enfermo

La victima se llama Eriksson y la solución podría llamarse Javier Aguirre, pero la enfermedad es mucho más grave

Por David Faitelson
    ESPNdeportes.com
    Archivo

Actualizado: 2 de abril de 2009, 12:06 PM ET

BRISTOL-- La solución más fácil es enseñarle la puerta al técnico, pero hoy más que nunca, el futbol mexicano requiere una medida de fondo y no sólo de forma.
    La decisión está tomada. Sven-Göran Eriksson ha dejado de ser el entrenador de México y en este momento se trabaja para darle el control de la selección nacional a Javier Aguirre. Los dos meses de receso --la selección juega hasta el 6 de junio en San Salvador-- le dan el margen apropiado para alistar un plan emergente.
    Y Aguirre ya aceptó. Lo hizo después de una llamada del presidente Felipe Calderón, una llamada en la que tuvo todo el crédito Justino Compean.
    "Me llamó el presidente. No puedo darle la espalda a México ahora que me necesita", le habría dicho Aguirre a sus amistades.
    Y usted se podría preguntar qué demonios hace el presidente de la republica metido en un tema de fútbol. La respuesta es sencilla: con la situación que envuelve al país, con una guerra en las calles frente a los grupos de narcotraficantes, una severa crisis económica que ha llegado por la frontera norte y la proximidad de las elecciones donde el partido en el poder ha perdido imagen, el futbol es un catalizador social al que ningún gobernante puede ignorar. Un país abatido por la situación social, económica y política puede ser, de alguna manera, rescatado por un fenómeno llamado fútbol.
    Aguirre es el bienamado del futbol mexicano. El mejor entrenador en la historia de este fútbol y el hombre que rescató la nave cuando esta naufragaba en la eliminatoria del 2001 antes del Mundial de Corea-Japón.
    Los primeros culpables ya pagaron: Decio De María ni siquiera hizo el viaje a San Pedro Sula y hay quienes aseguran que su cabeza será entregada para salvar la de Justino Compean. Néstor De La Torre toma cada día más fuerza pero nadie debe olvidar que el fracaso de Eriksson también es un fracaso de Jorge Vergara. Las divisiones, los grupos que ambicionan el poder y la lucha de de intereses son pan de cada día en el futbol mexicano.
    Ahora bien: Si México cree que el único cambio que necesita es la banca del equipo nacional cometerá otro grave error. Maquillar la situación poniendo a Aguirre o al Chepo De La Torre no solucionará nada de fondo. El cambio estructural que necesita México es de otro tamaño, de otro contexto, de otra ambición.
    En fin. La decisión esta tomada. La victima se llama Sven-Göran Eriksson y la solución podría llamarse Javier Aguirre o quizá José Manuel De la Torre. Pero la enfermedad que agobia al futbol mexicano es mucho más grave, crónica y peligrosa.

David Faitelson es uno de los reporteros deportivos más reconocidos en México y ha colaborado con medios como TV Azteca, diarios como Excelsior y El Heraldo, y estaciones de radio como Acir, y Radio Red. David es reportero y comentarista de ESPN. Consulta su archivo de columnas.

http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/news...al&type=column

I will try and find an english version of this story for the non-spanish speaking forumites.

Comment

Eriksson: My Bags Are Not Packed

Eriksson: My Bags Are Not Packed

Despite losing 3-1 in Honduras, Mexico manager Sven-Goran Eriksson said he's not planning on quitting.

Apr 2, 2009 9:05:20 AM

After only one win in three World Cup qualifying games, Sven-Goran Eriksson has put himself in the hot seat once again. Last Saturday, what Eriksson envisioned when he took over as manager for the Mexican national team was on display in Estadio Atzeca.

Wendesday, the image was brought back down to reality.

The reality is that Mexico has yet to win away from home with Eriksson as coach. If Mexico can't win at home it will make it really hard for them qualify before October, which is what the Mexican Football Federation wants. Eriksson mentioned that it’s not up to him to decide whether he stays or whether he goes.

“Over my head, I can’t do anything about it,” admitted the Swede. “I can’t do anything with this. Sure, there’s a lot pressure, but I think there’s a bad circumstance as well.”

The unity and the happiness that existed after the game against Costa Rica never made its way to the San Pedro Sula as we saw a completely different team.

“We needed to create more opportunities, considering our. Possession wise I think it’s the worse game we’ve had away from home, especially with those two or three times in 90 minutes where we gave up three goals, two of which were way too easy,” signaled Eriksson.

Eriksson knows that there exist an issue with the away games and that he is responsible for what’s happening

“I know that the responsibility is mine. I know perfectly well that the results away from home are bad. We lost against the U.S., we lost here 3-1, of course it’s bad,” said the manager.

The backline was the most vulnerable against Honduras and has been for a while since Eriksson’s been coach; he admitted that the goals tonight were completely their fault.

“Two times and then again in the final minute. I think we had a bad possession that is why they got those three goals, they were our entire fault. When we fail at something it’s because it needs work.”

When asked if he had his bags ready if they ask him to resign, Eriksson confessed: “No, if it depends on me no, but I think at this time it does not depend on me.”

Sylvestre Adame, Goal.com
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

If not Eriksson then who?

From what i can see, Honduras and El Salvador are just highly improved teams.

You've got to admire the football expectations of MexTico....
        The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

EL Salvador?
          No!

Honduras?
          Yes!
          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

FIFA.com Article On Sven's Firing

Eriksson sacked in Mexico

Former England manager Sven-Goran Eriksson was sacked as Mexico's national team coach following a disappointing 3-1 loss to Honduras in a 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa™ qualifier.

Wednesday's defeat was Mexico's second loss in three matches in the final phase of qualifying in North, Central America and the Caribbean, coming hot on the heels of a reverse to the United States sandwiched by a home success over Costa Rica at the Estadio Azteca in Mexico City. Eriksson had acknowledged before the Costa Rica encounter that he knew he was under pressure to deliver with media predicting his days were numbered after just 13 matches at the helm.

The decision was made because we could not risk Mexico's participation in the World Cup.
            Mexican FA President Justino Compean on Eriksson's sacking

"The decision was made because we could not risk Mexico's participation in the World Cup," said federation president Justino Compean, who, noting poor away form, added it was not sufficient to rely wholly on winning home matches.

The midweek loss in San Pedro Sula was only the latest in a series of poor showings on the road. "This morning we had a meeting with Mr. Eriksson and we told him his spell with the Mexican team had come to an end," added Compean.

Eriksson, who angered supporters by bringing four foreign-born players into the squad, said he regretted not having longer to prove his credentials. "I enjoyed the work, the country, everything. Sooner or later patience runs out," said Eriksson, who won a swathe of honours with IFK Gothenburg in his homeland before further successes with Portugal's Benfica and then in Italy with AS Roma, Sampdoria and Lazio, with whom he won Serie A prior to taking the England job.

"It's a shame because I always thought I would be in the Mexico dugout for a World Cup as Mexico are going to qualify," said the Swede, who readily admitted that poor away showings were to blame. "We did not play well away from home and this is my responsibility."

Next in line?
            Compean said a replacement would be lined up within days with the media quickly putting their money on former incumbent Javier Aguirre, who recently left Atletico Madrid, with Jose Manuel de la Torre of Mexican champions Toluca another name in the frame.

When in charge of England, Eriksson appeared to have inherited a 'golden generation' of players including the likes of David Beckham and Steven Gerrard. But a run to the 2002 FIFA World Cup quarter-finals and the same stage of both UEFA EURO 2004 and the 2006 FIFA World Cup were as far as he could take the side and he stepped down in 2006.

A turbulent season with Manchester City followed before he took, to general surprise, the Mexican job. But after patchy results ahead of the win over Costa Rica he admitted: "We must win or life will be very difficult for me - I will probably be out of work."
            Three teams from the six-nation final phase of qualifying advance directly to the 2010 finals in South Africa, with the fourth-placed team playing off for a berth against the fifth-placed team from South America.

Mexico were not overly impressive even in the first phase of qualifying which included, among other sub-standard showings, a loss to Jamaica. Eriksson took the reins last June following the sacking of legendary striker Hugo Sanchez three months earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce View Post
              "The decision was made because we could not risk Mexico's participation in the World Cup," said federation president Justino Compean, who, noting poor away form, added it was not sufficient to rely wholly on winning home matches.
              Lesson to be learnt.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

While we ongle mek decisions when the wheels fall off the wagon.
                Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Rumour has it that Bruce Arena is one of the candidates being considered for the Mexico coaching job. There's 2 months till the next round of qualifiers so it will be interesting who gets the job. I recall Steve Sampson getting the coaching job at Costa Rica a few years back.

Comment

Originally posted by HL View Post
                    If not Eriksson then who?

From what i can see, Honduras and El Salvador are just highly improved teams.

Honduras has had good teams but have always *choked* at WCQ level. El Salvador on the other hand has been flat out garbage the last decade. Dont make that performance against team USA last saturday fool you. Some teams can play above and beyond their norm depending on the opponent. El salvador did just that. It was a one off situation. The reality is they will come right back down to earth the rest of the way. I dont see them in SA2010.

Comment

Originally posted by HL View Post

Something the JFF needs to take note of. When youre a footballing nation you have high expectations and demand success. If there are issues with team structure and results.. changes are made very early before a disaster occurs. MEX federation understands the importance of WC qualification and will put themselves in the best possible situation to achieve that goal.

Comment

Yeah he lost his job after the first three games just like Simoes. So what is the lesson?

Comment

DAT would be like england hiring alex ferguson as their head coach!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Sven Won One Game

Originally posted by Brush View Post
                            Yeah he lost his job after the first three games just like Simoes. So what is the lesson?

Sven won one game (Costa Rica) and lost two (at USA, and at Honduras)

Comment

Originally posted by Brush View Post
                              The team didnt play well and is a significant footballing nation in Concacaf. The lesson is at this level poor results wont be accepted by FMF. The reason the change was made.

Comment

Working...
                              X