Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boyz tackle Peru

http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/articles...amp;category=1
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

RE: Boyz tackle Peru

Reggae Boyz take on Peru tonight
    published: Wednesday | November 15, 2006
    <DIV class=KonaBody>

Audley Boyd, Assistant Sport Editor

Members of Peru's national football side arrive at Norman Manley International Airport yesterday for tonight's friendly clash with Jamaica at the National Stadium. - Junior Dowie / Staff Photographer

THEY DID a fairly good repair job at 'The Office' with a 2-1 win over Canada last time.

Now Jamaica's Reggae Boyz will get back down to business, looking to continue the major reconstruction exercise of their mashed-down image with another victory as they face-off against Peru in a friendly international at the site of their major successes - the National Stadium - this evening at 7:00.

Significantly, too, the match is the last in another of several spells for this country's most successful national senior coach, Carl Brown, whose interim role lasted for just over three months. Naturally, he wants to go out on a high and as several of these players owe their spot in the team to him, that additional motivation is certain to push them harder towards a triumph.

"I'd really like to go out on a winning note and, more importantly, I want the players to play well," Brown said. "Everything I do is for the players and I'd really love for this one to be a good one."

He has won two Caribbean Cup titles, in 1991 and 1998, and was also the assistant coach when the Boyz made their only World Cup Finals appearance - France '98 under Brazilian Rene Simoes.

Whopping losses

In recent times the team's performances have been dismal with whopping losses - 6-0 to England, 4-1 to Ghana and 5-0 to Australia - and that paved the way for this Brown stint.

An embarrassing first-round exit from the Digicel Caribbean Cup within the past two months is one stat he and the country could have done without as the nation's football basically bottomed out.

Last month's 2-1 win over Canada, somewhat of a revenge victory as the North Americans had won a first-leg tie 1-0, was seen as the first step in what is shaping up to be a long rebuilding process towards the 2010 World Cup in South Africa, aided by the acquisition of new coach Velibor 'Bora' Milutinovic, who arrived here yesterday.

The chief architect gets a first-hand look at the talent pool crowded with much of the nation's finest talent, most of whom play overseas in Europe and North America.

They include attackers Ricardo Fuller, who wore the captain's armband last time, passing genius Jermaine Hue, Luton Shelton, Jermaine Johnson, Jamal Campbell-Ryce, Khari Stephenson and Teofore Bennett, alongside defenders Tyrone Marshall, Shavar Thomas and goalie Donovan Ricketts.

With few exceptions, they recently arrived in Jamaica but Brown says that's not a problem because their conditioning is good.

"Most of the players have been active and participating in different leagues home and abroad so they should be in good, reasonable match condition so I'm not disappointed that I've not had them over a longer period," he said. Peru arrived here yesterday despite travelling since Sunday as they holed up in Panama where they trained up to Monday.

The South Americans are ranked 79th in the world haven't won in five matches this year, drawing 1-1 against Ecuador and Trinidad and Tobago, while losing to Chile twice - 3-2 and 1-0 in their last game, and 2-0 to Panama.

Jamaica's team will be without two players originally slated to come, Claude Davis and Jason Euell and likewise, the Peruvians will miss a top baller, silky Bayern Munich striker Claudio Pizarro who has vowed not to play under coach Francoi Navarro.

In Ivan Vargas (Catania, Italy), Jefferson Farfan (P.S.V. Eindho
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
    X