• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's why football is! Man Utd 3-2 Aston Villa

Man Utd 3-2 Aston Villa

By Ian Hughes

Macheda produced a moment of magic to win the game for United

Federico Macheda scored a stunning late winner as Manchester United regained top spot in the Premier League. The 17-year-old substitute turned in the box and curled in a superb strike to make his debut the stuff of dreams.

Cristiano Ronaldo had opened the scoring from an indirect free-kick after a James Milner backpass, before John Carew's header restored parity.
    Gabriel Agbonlahor headed Villa in front only for Ronaldo to level with a low shot and Macheda to snatch victory.

It was an incredible finish to a match that twisted and turned - and had looked to be going the way of Villa rather than the champions.
    But after digging deep, and finding inspiration from an untried teenager, United have leapfrogged Liverpool at the top of the table.

And they also avoided a third successive league defeat, which would have been more galling given that Villa were thumped 5-0 by Liverpool in their last match.

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez said his side's last-gasp 1-0 win over Fulham on Saturday had placed the pressure on United, and he looked to be right from the way they started against Villa.

They struggled with an unfamiliar back four that was forced upon them because of Rio Ferdinand's injury and Nemanja Vidic's suspension.
    Gary Neville, returning from injury, was brought in to partner John O'Shea in the heart of defence, but that proved to be a costly mistake.
    Carew quickly served notice that he would enjoy the mismatch against Neville when his header was scrambled clear via Darren Fletcher and the post.

And the visitors were in the mood to expose United's vulnerabilities.
    The pace of Agbonlahor, back in the side for the injured Emile Heskey, and the poise and passing of Gareth Barry was causing United all manner of problems.

But United were handed a lifeline when Milner passed the ball back to Brad Friedel, who picked the ball up, and the resulting free-kick in the area was cracked in by Ronaldo after Ryan Giggs had rolled the ball to him.
    The goal settled United's nerves and they began to stroke the ball around with more confidence, but without really penetrating.

And Villa remained dangerous on the break, particularly through Agbonlahor, whose speed was a big problem for Neville.

Ashley Young's free-kick was tipped over by Edwin van der Sar as Villa threatened.

From another quick counter Villa deservedly restored parity, Barry's excellent right-wing cross powerfully headed into the bottom corner by Carew as Neville stood by helplessly.
    Shortly after, Neville was switched with right-back Jonny Evans - but it had been a half-hour to forget for the United skipper.

He would have felt better if Ronaldo's glancing header had gone either side of Friedel rather than straight at the keeper and given United a half-time lead.

Instead, Villa struck again on 58 minutes when Ronaldo was caught in possession and Villa moved the ball quickly to Carew, and his cross was headed in by Agbonlahor.

United's response was to bring on Macheda for Nani.

The young Italian, who signed professional terms with United in August 2008, hit a hat-trick for the reserves against Newcastle on Monday.
    He appealed unsuccessfully for a penalty after he fell under challenge from Curtis Davies, then at the other end Davies was close to converting Ashley Young's free-kick.

United needed something special from somewhere and it came from Ronaldo, who picked up the ball on the edge of the box and fired a low drive into the bottom corner to drag his side level.

The impetus was all with the hosts now and it took a fine save from Friedel to deny Fletcher from 12 yards.

Substitute Danny Welbeck was next to be thwarted by Friedel as he saw his shot saved at point-blank range.

But United were not to be denied and Macheda produced a moment of magic to win the game when he turned and curled a peach of a shot into the far corner.

Man Utd: Van der Sar, Neville, O'Shea, Evans, Evra, Nani (Macheda 61), Carrick, Fletcher, Ronaldo, Giggs, Tevez (Welbeck 87).
    Subs Not Used: Foster, Park, Gibson, Martin, Eckersley.

Booked: Macheda.

Goals: Ronaldo 14, 80, Macheda 90.

Aston Villa: Friedel, Luke Young, Cuellar, Davies, Shorey, Milner (Reo-Coker 76), Petrov, Barry, Ashley Young, Carew, Agbonlahor.
    Subs Not Used: Guzan, Delfouneso, Knight, Salifou, Gardner, Albrighton.

Booked: Milner, Ashley Young.

Goals: Carew 30, Agbonlahor 58.

Att: 75,409

Ref: Mike Riley (Yorkshire).
    BBC Sport Player Rater man of the match: Federico Macheda 7.89 (on 90 minutes).
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Thumbs up Karl??? Thumbs up??? You are happy with the result?

Anyway, must give it to Macheda... lovely goal but...
    Peter R

Comment

Originally posted by Peter R View Post
      Thumbs up Karl??? Thumbs up??? You are happy with the result?

Anyway, must give it to Macheda... lovely goal but...
      ...but?
      Why but...unless you wanted a draw?
      Truth be told, highly entertaining match...but I wanted a draw!
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

I wanted a Man U loss!!
        Peter R

Comment

I wanted a Man U loss!!
          Well that would not have made me unhappy...but I do not trust my YOUNG GUNNERS to remain consistent until the end of the season...so I do not want Villa any closer...and I am nervously watching Everton!

Comment

Sorry X, we couldn't hold them. We tried.

Good game Manu.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Your defence sucks .Villa have a good foundation to build on, 6 players from being a top 4 contender.Wegner was right not enough quality.
              THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Ok... I see your position... but someone else needs to take out ManU; the last fifteen minutes were pure pressure... Villa should have crowded the defence more...and talk about "squeaky bum" time...Sir Alex didn't look comfortable at all!
                Peter R

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                  ...but?
                  Why but...unless you wanted a draw?
                  Truth be told, highly entertaining match...but I wanted a draw!
                  Villa's best chance to beat Man U went up in smoke. No Vidic, Ferdinand, Rooney, Berbatov, and yet Man U still wins. They shouldve taken off Carew and brought on another defensive midfield player with 10 mins left. Man U's played through the middle alot late in the game.

Comment

Well that would not have made me unhappy...but I do not trust my YOUNG GUNNERS to remain consistent until the end of the season...so I do not want Villa any closer...and I am nervously watching Everton!
                    You've got nothing to worry about Karl,the Gunners have turned the corner.It's the others who should be worried,i was at The Emirates on Saturday to see the return of the little Maestro and boy did we miss him.With Fabregas in the team it improve us by 20%

Comment

Arsenal did look impressive... the result of the ManU -Villa match should indicate that ManU is not invincible; but they play a full 90 minutes, you can never count them out til the final whistle goes.
                      Peter R

Comment

Arsenal did look impressive... the result of the ManU -Villa match should indicate that ManU is not invincible; but they play a full 90 minutes, you can never count them out til the final whistle goes.
                        Great teams fight to the end,and there is no doubt they are a great team.I still fancy the Gunners to knock them out in the semi-final of the champions league.

Comment

I'll be wearing my Gunners cap for that match!

So how was the Emirates? stadium, atmosphere etc.
                          Peter R

Comment

Originally posted by Dunny View Post
                            You've got nothing to worry about Karl,the Gunners have turned the corner.It's the others who should be worried,i was at The Emirates on Saturday to see the return of the little Maestro and boy did we miss him.With Fabregas in the team it improve us by 20%
                            Envy yuh!
                            I am sure you had a wonderful time!

...and now to on the pitich - We have Liverpool (A), Chelsea (H) and BoyU at Old Trafford! Yuh tink we aguh win haul a dem?

...and do not forget that we have a tight schedule that includes - Champions League vs Pires' Yellow Submarine & FA Cup with Chelsea.

I hope and pray for a piece of silverware...THIS SEASON!!!!

Comment

Envy yuh!
                              I am sure you had a wonderful time!

...and now to on the pitich - We have Liverpool (A), Chelsea (H) and BoyU at Old Trafford! Yuh tink we aguh win haul a dem?

...and do not forget that we have a tight schedule that includes - Champions League vs Pires' Yellow Submarine & FA Cup with Chelsea.

I hope and pray for a piece of silverware...THIS SEASON!!!!
                              We wont be beaten in any,not sure if we will win them all though ,but i have a good feeling about picking up some silverware.The champions league would be nice.I just get the feeling from the players and the fans on Saturday that the aura is back.and Cesc Fabregas what a player.

Comment

Working...
                              X