Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Report: Manchester United To Replace Ronaldo With Ribery

Report: Manchester United To Replace Ronaldo With Ribery

It could be a busy summer at Old Trafford if reports in the British media prove correct.

Apr 5, 2009 2:14:06 AM

Champions League : Franck Ribery (Bayern)

Manchester United are reportedly planning to sign Bayern Munich star Franck Ribery this summer, according to a report in the News of the World.

The British tabloid claims that the English champions have joined the chase for the French international and will beat off competition from the likes of Barcelona and Inter to sign the 25-year-old.

The paper reports that their sources at the Nou Camp believe that the Red Devils are almost certain to capture Ribery and have already begun negotiations with the Bayern man.

Ribery joined Bayern in 2007 from Marseille and has been a huge hit in the Bundesliga helping his side claim a league and cup double last season.

However, the Frenchman has recently extended his contract with sponsors Nike, which has led to speculation that he may shortly be leaving Adidas-backed Bayern. Both United and Barcelona are Nike teams.

Barca had been thought to be favourites to land Ribery; however, with reports surfacing yesterday that Cristiano Ronaldo may finally join Real Madrid in the summer, United may be in a position to make a move.

Ronaldo’s flirtation with the Spanish giants has been well-documented and should new reports prove correct he may finally be granted his desire to play in the Primera Division at the end of the season.

Should the Portuguese international depart Old Trafford, United will be in the market for a replacement. And with Real reportedly willing to pay £75 million for Ronaldo, they will not be short of funds either.

Gill Clark, Goal.com
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Karl, come out of MAN U business, sar.
    "Jah Jah see dem a come, but I & I a Conqueror!"

Comment

Originally posted by Westman View Post
      Karl, come out of MAN U business, sar.
      I always thought Ribery had ambition?
      BoyU? (disgust emoticon)
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Ribery isnt even half the player that Ronaldo is.

Comment

Listen up sports fanz. A few important points.

First is that Christiano has already peaked and is coming down now.

Second is that Man U should sell him for big money, pocket some and buy a mix of veterans and youngsters.

Third, Christiano is being a bit disruptive, especially in situations where Man U is behind in a game or is obviously going to lose.

Fourth, if someone wants to leave, don't let them stay and poison the team. A disgruntled player is no good.

Right now, Ribery wants to be a part of something great and participate in contemporary history while Ronaldo wants to go to a museum to see banners and photos of former greats and dinosaurs.

Comment

Listen up sports fanz. A few important points.

Second is that Man U should sell him for big money, pocket some and buy a mix of veterans and youngsters.

Third, Christiano is being a bit disruptive, especially in situations where Man U is behind in a game or is obviously going to lose.

Fourth, if someone wants to leave, don't let them stay and poison the team. A disgruntled player is no good.

Right now, Ribery wants to be a part of something great and participate in contemporary history while Ronaldo wants to go to a museum to see banners and photos of former greats and dinosaurs.
            Spoken like a true believer!

Comment

Finish the sentence Karl....spoken like a true believer that the report has truth to it
              Peter R

Comment

Maybe, there is more to a footballer's life than winning a trophy and spending the prime of your youth in Manchester (or Liverpool) England, or being in Madrid or Barcelona or even London...maybe?
                Peter R

Comment

Originally posted by Peter R View Post
                  Maybe, there is more to a footballer's life than winning a trophy and spending the prime of your youth in Manchester (or Liverpool) England, or being in Madrid or Barcelona or even London...maybe?
                  it should read "instead of being in Madrid or Barcelona..."
                  Peter R

Comment

Originally posted by Peter R View Post
                    Finish the sentence Karl....spoken like a true believer that the report has truth to it
                    I'll only say, Franck Ribery has the ability to make any good TEAM a monster TEAM.

...but in the next few years the YOUNG GUNNERS shall become monsters!

Comment

You just lost me right here. I didnt know solid players peak at 23-24 yrs old then suddenly go into decline. You cannot be serious. Im not a Man U fan but that comment has no ounce of truth in it.

Comment

All are not the same. My opinion is that he has peaked. I have seen several peak that early. I have not said that he wont continue to be a good player. I think Man U should sell him for a ridiculous sum and come out a ahead with replacments and money in their pockets.

Comment

All are not the same. My opinion is that he has peaked. I have seen several peak that early. I have not said that he wont continue to be a good player. I think Man U should sell him for a ridiculous sum and come out a ahead with replacments and money in their pockets.
                          ... as a Manu fan, I wouldn't mind if he stays. Yes, him mek mi pull out mi hair ... wait .. mi nuh have none .. anyway .. but you never know when he is going to change the game. I see no reason to push him out the door.
                          "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

I don't know if he has peaked but I think he has had his best output year behind him. He'd have to do something extra-special to better last year.
                            Peter R

Comment

Hear me again bredrin. Him want to go so mek him gwaan. If him want to stay him need fi conform. A simply so me see it. If him decide fi gwaan, then get big money fo him.

Comment

Working...
                              X