Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ferguson shoulders blame

Boss rues gamble of playing Premier League match on Sunday

Sir Alex Ferguson has admitted Manchester United paid the price against Porto for the 'gamble' he took by opting to play just 48 hours prior to the UEFA Champions League tie.

United boss Ferguson had the option of taking on Aston Villa in the Premier League last Saturday but he chose to arrange the televised encounter for the Sunday, with a demanding international break in mind.

The Red Devils triumphed over Villa but struggled on Tuesday night when they took on Porto at Old Trafford in the first leg of their Champions League quarter-final tie.

Gamble
    The fixture ended in a 2-2 draw and Ferguson has conceded the result means the European champions have a "difficult" task ahead at Estadio do Dragao.

He said in The Sun: "We showed tiredness because of the gamble I took playing Sunday which was not the best preparation.

"But we faced a situation and we took the best option hoping a European occasion would bring the adrenalin up."

Ferguson added in The Guardian: "I was tempted to get Villa moved to the Saturday.

Fragile
    "However, we had so many players on international duty in places like Bolivia, Rio de Janeiro and Korea, involving some very long and tiring journeys, I thought it best to go with Sunday."

Ferguson also rued his team's defending on the night, with his depleted back four suspect on both goals.

The Scot added: "It shows the fragile nature of our defence at the moment."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,195...160786,00.html
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

I fully agreed with playing the game on Sunday! Tevez wouldn't be able to play the Saturday game since he returned Friday night, therefore who would have played forward?

The team simply go to Porto and deal with them there. Argument done.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Agreed Mr. President. I did not get a chance to watch the game but I saw the goals on highlights. I know we will deal with matters in Portugal. By then we should be back to full strength. I am still ketching up on my readings, but so far it nuh seem like yuh blaze the fyah pon Xcuse. What's up with dat?
      Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
        Agreed Mr. President. I did not get a chance to watch the game but I saw the goals on highlights. I know we will deal with matters in Portugal. By then we should be back to full strength. I am still ketching up on my readings, but so far it nuh seem like yuh blaze the fyah pon Xcuse. What's up with dat?
        Is not all the while me feel like kicking a victim when he is down.

Comment

Working...
        X