Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Essien shuts down Gerrard

Chelsea's Michael Essien leave his mark on Liverpool's Steven Gerrard

After leaving Diego Maradona's shirt ripped almost to shreds and his ankles lacerated, Claudio Gentile remarked that "football isn't a game for ballerinas''.

By Henry Winter
    Last Updated: 9:16PM BST 09 Apr 2009

Going toe-to-toe: Chelsea's Michael Essien effectively marked Steven Gerrard out of the game Photo: AP

Basically, it's hard for footballing Fonteyns to perform with battered legs and some bruiser holding their shirt and elbowing them.

In the long history of high-stakes games, football has not seen such a brutal man-marking job as the Italian's suffocation of the great Argentinian during their 1982 World Cup. Berti Vogts frustrated Johan Cruyff in 1974, employing some rough tactics, as did Nobby Stiles with Eusebio in 1966, but none came close to Gentile's viciousness.

Aggressive shadowing is difficult now the ballerinas are afforded better protection from unscrupulous ball-winners. That is why Michael Essien's negating of Steven Gerrard during Chelsea's 3-1 triumph at Liverpool was such a work of art, a rare collectors' item in an English gallery, however much Liverpool supporters and purists may object. Essien did not foul Gerrard, preferring to pinch possession in the fashion of a ************in rather than a Gentile.

Of the myriad masterstrokes Guus Hiddink has pulled in his impressive career, detailing Essien to track Gerrard was among the most inspired.Of the myriad masterstrokes Guus Hiddink has pulled in his impressive career, detailing Essien to track Gerrard was among the most inspired.

On the eve of Wednesday's Champions League quarter-final first leg, Rafael Benitez had wondered whether Hiddink might station Essien immediately in front of the visitors' back four, knowing he had the mobility to get to grips with Gerrard. Liverpool's manager had noted the Ghanaian had been removed early against Newcastle United on Saturday, signalling his importance to Hiddink.

Whatever suspicions harboured by Benitez, his team were still insufficiently prepared for the Essien ploy. "We changed tactically a little bit and they found it hard to deal with,'' observed Frank Lampard, who lauded the contribution of Essien. "He was as key as anybody.''
    The evening was a chastening one for Gerrard, a reminder that the type of man-marking frowned on in English football (Sir Alex Ferguson deems it almost unethical) is a tactic used in Europe.

The irony of it being inflicted by Premier League opponents will have been lost on Gerrard as he waited to undergo a groin scan yesterday. He will know, however, that he must learn to escape such attentions through dropping deeper or drifting wide.

Liverpool's dressing room was exceptionally quiet after the defeat; no shouts of defiance could be heard, a particular worry as Benitez needs his players strong as they host Blackburn Rovers tomorrow lunchtime. Benitez must drum into his shell-shocked players that the Premier League is still a possibility, that their season remains alive.

More strangely, the mood in the away dressing room was slightly subdued. It says everything for the high standards Hiddink demands that his players were a bit downcast. "There was a slight sense of disappointment that we didn't score more,'' added Lampard.

From Essien's instructions to pushing Lampard in behind Didier Drogba, Hiddink's game plan had worked. Liverpool had not expected such adventure from the visitors but Hiddink is bold.

His South Korea team, running on adrenalin and patriotism, charged to the semi-finals of the 2002 World Cup. His PSV Eindhoven side sprinted until they dropped, reaching the last four of the 2005 Champions League.

Russia go for it under Hiddink. Chelsea's Anfield aim was "to score minimum one goal'' in the words of Drogba.

Hiddink's Chelsea could hardly be termed negative, with Florent Malouda and Salomon Kalou out wide, Drogba through the middle and Lampard raiding frequently.

As well as selecting the correct tactics, Hiddink instilled calmness and belief. With the teams level 1-1 at the interval, the Dutchman just told them to keep going, to stick to the game plan.

"We felt that more opportunities were going to come,'' said Lampard. "We had a plan from the start of the game and we carried on doing it.''
    Assuming Liverpool do not summon up the spirit of Istanbul, Chelsea look set for a semi-final against Barcelona.

"I don't know if Barcelona will be too worried about anyone, the way they're playing, but if we can carry on playing like that we will put fear into a lot of teams,'' added Lampard.

Putting fear into Barcelona is hardly simple. Hiddink must devise another strategy. When considering where to apply Essien's limpet qualities, who does Hiddink start with? Lionel Messi? Xavi? Andres Iniesta? As good as he is, Essien can hardly man-mark a whole team.

But Barcelona are not invincible. Hiddink should remember that Benitez has outwitted the Catalans in the past, using lightning pace to embarrass Carles Puyol and his fellow defenders. Pick the right tactics and Chelsea have a chance.
    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

As a football fan I must admit that Guus have Chelsea playing much better.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

A Class above another class !
      “I am not a politician..I only suffer the consequences”.......Peter Tosh

Comment

when fit essien is the best player in the english premier league... if he was healthy chelsea would have been the leaders and looking to win the league... essien's presence alone is +4 wins...
        'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

Completely agree. He is part godzilla, part concrete...tough no rahtid. The marching orders for Gerrard tomorrow is to "rule" Essien...ain't gonna happen (unless Lampard ain't playing)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...le-Essien.html
          "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

glad there is someone on the forum who agrees with me... i first saw him about 5 or 6 yrs ago... he had just joined lyon in the french league... cant remember the team they were playing against but i had never seen another player who was a center half played a creative central midfield the way he did in that game...

he single handedly created 3 goals and he was the center half... made some telling through passes from the back... two after breaking up attacks and going forward... he was everywhere and yet he was never out of position... and he broke up many attacks... no one could pass him... to this day i've never seen any footballer do what he did that day... still bogles my mind...

Comment

i used to be a liverpool fan until essien joined chelsea... now, i am a chelsea fan... until essien leaves...

well what do i care... mi nuh bawn a england... mi jus love de football and how essien plays... mi nuh si nuh better footballer dan essien... not ronaldinho... not ronaldo... not nuhbady... any name call nuh better dan essien... mi jus glad him comeback healthy...

Comment

Working...
              X