• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlon King earns Southgate's praise

KING EARNS SOUTHGATE PLAUDITS

Posted 12/04/09 13:13
    EmailPrintSave

Marlon King continued to divide opinion between his past and present managers after reviving Middlesbrough's hopes of beating relegation.
    King needed little motivation after being recalled by Boro boss Gareth Southgate and capped a strong display with the decisive third goal in a 3-1 win over Hull at the Riverside Stadium.
    It was a sweet moment for the on-loan Wigan striker, who started the season on a similar short-term deal at Hull but left after falling out with manager Phil Brown in January.
    The win was not enough to lift Boro out of the bottom three but Southgate's men are now only two points adrift of 17th-placed Sunderland and four behind Hull.
    Southgate said: "It was a fairly easy decision to ask Marlon to play. I think I put him in the team for the game about six weeks ago.
    "It was no surprise he got on the scoresheet - that's how football is.
    "I was pleased for him because I thought his overall performance was excellent.
    "It's been difficult for him since he has been here but he got the crowd going. We need that leadership in the team."
    Southgate now needs to maintain the momentum for the final six games of the season, starting with next week's home clash against Fulham.
    The former England defender praised supporters after whipping up a fevered atmosphere as Boro secured only their second win in 20 games, and he wants to see that continue.
    Southgate added: "The atmosphere in the stadium was brilliant. I really feel as if the fans in the last few weeks have rallied behind the cause.
    "We have got to hope we have got enough time. If there is enough time, we can do it, it is just whether we run out of games.
    "Next week will be different but we have got to be as positive as we were here and there is no reason why we can't be. We have got a week to build towards that game.
    "Fulham are a different team to Hull. They are very solid, don't give anything away and don't concede a lot. I don't think it will be the same type of game.
    "Hull saw it is a chance to secure themselves - they would have gone seven points clear of us (with a win)."
    Hull were sixth in the table after beating Boro 2-1 in December but they have won only once in 16 since and are now in serious danger themselves.
    The Tigers recovered from the shock of conceding a third-minute goal to Tuncay Sanli to equalise through Manucho six minutes later but were then caught out by Matthew Bates before half-time.
    King wrapped up the points in the last minute after Jeremie Aliadiere robbed former Boro midfielder George Boateng.
    It was a reminder of the talents that brought Hull five goals in the first half of the campaign but Brown again insisted he had no regrets about letting King go.
    "Marlon's had three clubs this year," the Tigers boss said. "That emphasises the type of lad he is.
    "He got himself a goal - it wasn't a great goal from Middlesbrough's point of view and it was certainly a mistake from our point of view."
    Brown blamed all three Boro goals on Hull mistakes but admitted he did not get a clear view of how the corner that led to Bates' goal - his first for Boro - was won.
    Hull captain Ian Ashbee thought he had cleared before the ball crossed the line.
    Ashbee was booked in the game and now faces a suspension but Brown has called on his experienced players to pull his side out of trouble.
    Brown said: "It was a poor performance by our standards this season. We try to put it behind us as soon as we can.
    "I've got to get myself going as quickly as I can to make sure I can get them going before Sunderland next week, which is a massive game.
    "We have gifted a team in the bottom three, three points. That is damaging - but we know the situation and there are still six games to put that right.
    "It is about confidence, belief, eradicating mistakes and sticking with the basics that have got us through to this stage of the season.
    "It is about bottle and holding that together until the end of the season.
    "A lot of the players in that changing room have been in tight situations in their career and that kind of experience will stand us in good stead."
Working...
X