• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ricketts is Player of the Week

LA's Ricketts impresses in MLS debut

Galaxy 'keeper wins Player of the Week after blanking Chivas USA

04/14/2009 05:42 PM
    $(document).ready(function () {simpleDateTime('2009-04-14T17:42:00Z');}) By Larry Morgan / MLSnet.com Staff

Donovan Ricketts stopped five shots on Saturday en route to Player of the Week honors. (Getty)

CARSON, Calif. -- Just in case there was any skepticism concerning Donovan Ricketts' ability as an MLS goalkeeper, the Los Angeles Galaxy newcomer put it to rest with an impressive performance in Saturday's 0-0 tie with Chivas USA. The Jamaican international was named MLS Player of the Week after finishing with five saves, including a diving stop of a shot by Paulo Nagamura and another one on a close-range attempt by Jesse Marsch late in the first half. He also made big saves on efforts by Chivas' Carey Talley and Sacha Kljestan in the game's closing minutes.
    "There were doubts about bringing in a foreign 'keeper to MLS," Ricketts admitted. "I just wanted to go out there and prove I can mix it up with the best of them. I know what I can do and I want people to see what I am capable of doing."
    Ricketts, who missed the Galaxy's first two regular-season games with a strained groin and then a sore shoulder, said he was appreciative of the award but was happier with the fact he kept Chivas scoreless.
    "It's more satisfying that I kept the clean sheet," the 6-foot-4, 200-pounder said. "To get the player of the week (award) is a bonus. I like that."
    The 31-year-old Ricketts, who has 72 caps with the Jamaican national team, became the third goalkeeper in Galaxy history (after Kevin Hartman and Jorge Campos) to be named MLS Player of the Week. Goalkeepers have won the award 37 times in MLS history, including Seattle's Kasey Keller, who won the award earlier this season.
    Galaxy goalkeeper coach Ian Feuer said he wasn't surprised with Ricketts' stunning performance. He also was more than aware Ricketts, who had been slowed by a groin injury since early in training camp, was anxious to get some playing time after seeing little action during preseason except for a couple of closed scrimmages. Ricketts also had been unhappy he couldn't play in the Pan-Pacific Championship in February.
    "It's funny," Feuer said, "because he started feeling bad that he had the (groin) injury, then he hurt his shoulder. He was like, 'I hope people don't think I'm lazy or whatever.' He definitely wanted to get in there.
    "He's obviously wanted to be in there from day one, but it wasn't the right time."
    Feuer said there are many strengths to Ricketts' game. The biggest, Feuer said, is Ricketts simply has a presence about him.
    "He seems to raise the level of the whole team when he's playing," he said. "He's a good shot-stopper, he's good on crosses and his kicking is awesome. You just feel really secure when he's back there."
    Feuer also likes the fact that the two of them have much in common. Each of them played in England (Feuer was with Luton Town and Ricketts with Bradford City), both are tall and lanky (Feuer is 6-7) and they were not in the least bit timid in challenging shooters.
    "I can relate to how he thinks and how he plays," Feuer said. "He's just a great acquisition."
    Ricketts said Saturday's game also was made more memorable because it was a derby. He didn't appreciate the fact he got a constant earful from Chivas supporters who were behind him, but he expected nothing less in a showdown between two bitter rivals who share the same stadium (The Home Depot Center) and practice facilities. Ricketts compared the game's intensity to the Bradford City-Huddersfield derbies he was part of earlier in his career.
    "This was very similar to those," he said. "It was pretty intense ... very physical. They prepared me for this one."

Larry Morgan is a contributor to MLSnet.com.

--> Over to you Tilla
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Congrats to Ricketts. Hope he keeps it up.

Comment

His performance will go a long way for Jamaican goalkeepers!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Settle down it's MLS

Comment

Yes. What? MLS has some of the best keepers in the world!

Now, see what you did! Zeppo and HL will use this against me for the rest of my life!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

true dat, true dat

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
              Yes. What? MLS has some of the best keepers in the world!
              How can you tell?

Comment

them stop becks from bending it
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
                X