• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Depleted Arsenal 'still a threat'

Depleted Arsenal 'still a threat'

PREMIER LEAGUE
    Venue: Anfield Date: Tuesday, 21 April Kick-off: 2000 BST
    Coverage: Full commentary on BBC Radio Merseyside 95.8 FM, 1485 MW and DAB, and BBC Radio 5 Live; score updates on Final Score and BBC Sport website

Lucas and Fabregas could face each other in midfield

Liverpool assistant boss Sammy Lee says Arsenal are a threat even though Robin van Persie and Emmanuel Adebayor are out of Tuesday's Premier League match. The Reds, who will be without injured Steven Gerrard, will leapfrog leaders Manchester United if they draw or beat the injury-hit Gunners side.

But Lee said: "We have a healthy respect for Arsenal and we know they won't be weak in any shape or form.

"Whichever team they put out tonight we know it will be a very difficult task."

Liverpool go into the game at Anfield one point behind United - although they have already played one match more than their Old Trafford rivals.

And Lee concedes it is a must-win game for Liverpool if they are to realistically maintain their challenge for a first league title since 1990.

We have to win every game - Lee

He added: "It is six games that we need to get maximum points out of and then we will see what happens.

"We don't prepare for failure, we know what we have to get out of each game - none more so than in these last six games.

"We can't look at what anyone else is doing or for anyone to do us favours, we have to do our own job."

Manager Rafael Benitez is likely to stick with the same team that lined up in the Champions League tie at Stamford Bridge - once again with Gerrard unavailable to him.

However, the Spaniard insisted that his side can cope without the England midfielder, who was sorely missed when Liverpool drew 4-4 with Chelsea in their second-leg tie.

"It's always disappointing when Stevie isn't in the team but we have won games without him and played well without him at times this season," stated Benitez.

"We have quality in the squad and I am sure we can still play nice football, score goals and win games, whoever is in the team."

Lee is also confident that Liverpool have the quality to get the result they need.

"Whoever we put on that park will be our best team. Obviously, if you are missing your star players it is going to be a big miss but all credit to these lads," he added.

"We are a strong squad and we are all working together. They have stuck to it this year and the mere fact we are talking about the title shows the improvement this club has embarked upon this year."

Arsenal have long been out of the title race and recently have concentrated on ensuring they secure fourth place in the league - and the Champions league spot that goes with it.

With fifth-placed Aston Villa now seven points behind them - and having played a game more - Arsenal appear to have some breathing space.

Title still a target - Wenger

But manager Arsene Wenger insisted: "Winning is what we live for. We cannot be happy with only trying to remain fourth.
    "We want to get closer to the top and have a good opportunity to come back to six points within Liverpool.

"Third place is important, second place is important and why not first? You never know.

"You do not want to have regrets. We want to win every single game, no matter what competition we play in."

However, the Gunners' chances of victory have been hampered by injuries to leading scorer Van Persie and fellow forward Adebayor - although Croatia international Eduardo is available again.

And Arsenal also have problems at the back, with second-choice keeper Lukasz Fabianski again set to deputise for the injured Manuel Almunia (ankle), while defenders Gael Clichy (back), William Gallas (knee) and Johan Djourou (knee) are all sidelined.

But full-back Bacary Sagna has recovered from a virus and could feature.

Liverpool (from): Reina, Arbeloa, Carragher, Hyypia, Agger, Skrtel, Dossena, Aurelio, Insua, Benayoun, Riera, Mascherano, Alonso, Lucas, Kuyt, Torres, Ngog, El Zhar, Cavalieri.

Arsenal (from): Fabianski, Sagna, Toure, Silvestre, Gibbs, Arshavin, Song, Fabregas, Walcott, Bendtner, Eduardo, Mannone, Eboue, Nasri, Diaby, Vela, Denilson, Ramsey.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Would not be surprising if the GUNNERS recover from the last lousy performance and put a dent in 'pool's match towards the EPL title!

Inconsistent YOUNG GUNNERS?! (shake head emoticon)
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

was arsenal inconsistent with tH14?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
        Would not be surprising if the GUNNERS recover from the last lousy performance and put a dent in 'pool's match towards the EPL title!

Inconsistent YOUNG GUNNERS?! (shake head emoticon)
        Arsenal will be happy to let Liverpool take the spoils at Anfield on Tuesday night because it will pile pressure on Manchester United. And thus Sir Alex Ferguson’s side may be distracted – or at least stretching their resources – when they play Arsenal in the Champions League Semi-Final at the end of the month.
        Sunday, August 28th, 2011. We will never forget !!

Comment

bwoy dem CIA stuff deh too high brow fi mi!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Wel! Well!

By Caroline Cheese

From a nervous Liverpool fan via text on 81111: "I can't take this! My heart's beating so fast it feels like it's about to explode. This could be the end of the dream."
            2146: Theo Walcott blazes over from a ridiculous angle over on the right. Arsenal aren't settling for a draw, although sitting back and defending isn't really an option for this team.
            2145: Nabil El Zhar replaces Dirk Kuyt for Liverpool. Five minutes remaining.

Mark Lawrenson on BBC 5 Live: "I'll tell you who has impressed me tonight: Bendtner. He's had a good game."
            2141: Oh my golly goodness. Fernando Torres' glancing header is goalbound until Kieran Gibbs nods it off the line. Corner cleared and Jamie Carragher volleys one wide.
            2138: This is very much like Chelsea-Liverpool last week. Abysmal defending, but you can't take your eyes off it. 11 minutes remaining, and Liverpool have a free-kick about 30 yards out... over the top by Xabi Alonso.
            BBC Sport's Phil McNulty at Anfield: "It's all getting a bit ridiculous now. First Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez is cursing his defenders for gifting Andrey Arshavin parts two and three of his hat-trick - although his second was a stunning finish - then Arsene Wenger is similarly furious as Fernando Torres is allowed to turn and level for Liverpool. Stunning stuff and quite a few hand gestures from Rafa - all aimed at his own team in case Fergie and Big Sam are worried for Arsene."

From Big Paul via text on 81111: "Is this the best season of English football ever? It just gets better and better."
            2133: Arsenal striker Nicklas Bendtner strokes the ball across goal and in off the far post but the offside flag had gone up and the effort is ruled out. Close decision.

2131: GOAL Liverpool 3-3 Arsenal
            Albert Riera crosses from the left but this is all about Fernando Torres . The Spaniard controls brilliantly, feints to shoot once, deceiving Mikael Silvestre and giving him the space to fire into the bottom corner. Stop the ride, I want to get off. Not really, this is flipping brilliant.

2129: GOAL Liverpool 2-3 Arsenal
            Bigger cat among pigeons. Andrey Arshavin passes out to Samir Nasri on the left and Fabio Aurelio sidefoots the cross straight to the Russian, who finishes off a stunning hat-trick. This is quite incredible.

2126: GOAL Liverpool 2-2 Arsenal
            Cat. Among pigeons. Andrey Arshavin easily wins a challenge with Alvaro Arbeloa but the Russian still has plenty of work to do, arrowing a rocket of a 25-yard shot past Pepe Reina's outstretched left arm.
            2124: Change is coming and it's Denilson who makes way for Theo Walcott. Samir Nasri will move into the middle, with Walcott playing on the right.
            BBC Sport's Phil McNulty at Anfield: "Liverpool fully deserve their lead on the overall balance of play and Arsene Wenger needs to try to give his side some sort of outlet. Nothing is happening up front and Theo Walcott has just been sent for a warm-up down the touchline. One-way traffic at the moment and Liverpool only look like adding to their advantage as they gain momentum with every attack. A very happy Anfield at the moment."

2121: Bacary Sagna picks up the game's first yellow card for an aerial challenge on Albert Riera. Chance for Fernando Torres on the edge of the box but the Spaniard doesn't connect well and Lukasz Fabianski collects.
            From Jez the Gooner via text on 81111: "34 years a Gooner and am angry and embarrassed by this performance, no backbone no strength and no striker! Gutted."

2115: GOAL Liverpool 2-1 Arsenal
            Dear oh dear. That all starts with Lukasz Fabianski's disastrous clearance to Kieran Gibbs. The Arsenal man can only give the ball straight to Dirk Kuyt and his cross is bravely headed in at the far post by Yossi Benayoun . Fabianski claws the ball out - but only after it's gone about a yard over the line.
            BBC Sport's Phil McNulty at Anfield: "Liverpool's fans are fired up even more by that vital equaliser - they can sense a siege in front of The Kop and Arsenal need to hang on here because they are suddenly in danger of being over-powered. Superb header by Torres, who is really setting the tone for Liverpool in the absence of injured captain Steven Gerrard."
            2112: Liverpool are piling the pressure on now. Arsenal need to steady the ship - and quick.

2108: GOAL Liverpool 1-1 Arsenal
            Bacary Sagna's sliced clearance ends up being a perfect pass for Dirk Kuyt on the right. His first cross comes straight back to him off Kieran Gibbs, his second is met by a towering header from that man Fernando Torres . Terrible defending, but a magnificent finish.
            2104: Xabi Alonso and Yossi Benayoun kick off the second half. No changes for either side.
            2103: Here come the players. Huge 45 minutes coming up.

From Ambivalent Gooner via text on 81111: "It's horrible. I want the Gooners to win, but I also want United to still be under pressure in the Prem when we play 'em in the Champions League."
            2059: I don't know. Arsenal are leading at Anfield, and still the texts slating Nicklas Bendtner are flooding in. You are a funny old bunch.

Rich, Sutton, via text on 81111: "United fan on the train home with my Arsenal-supporting wife. Come on the Gooners!!! Just 45 more minutes for Fabianski not to make a howler!!!"
            BBC Sport's Phil McNulty at Anfield: "Compelling first half and Liverpool very unlucky to be behind, but any suggestions this under-strength Arsenal side have simply come along for the ride can be dismissed. They are having a right go and defending for their life. Plenty of pressure from Liverpool, but Lukasz Fabianski is in inspired mood - arguably the most important 45 minutes of Liverpool's season coming up."
            2052: Here's a man for a big game, it's Danny the Stat : "Lukasz Fabianski is storming ahead with 8.16 over on our Player Rater . That's ahead of even Fernando Torres (7.85) and Andrey Arshavin (7.65). But do you know what? I think the real winners here so far are Manchester United. Sorry, Lukasz, I know you've done ever so well and that, but that's just how I feel. That's just how I feel. I'm sorry. Just how I feel."
            Liverpool v Arsenal Player Rater

From Tom McK, disgruntled LFC fan, via text on 81111: "Gutted. Playing footy with my best mate who supports Arsenal. I've been taking the mick and then that happens... Typical."

2049: HALF-TIME Liverpool 0-1 Arsenal
            2048: Yossi Benayoun's backheel sets up Albert Riera on the left and he is almost on the end of the low cross but can't connect. Alvaro Arbeloa does, but it's easy for Lukasz Fabianski.
            2045: Scramble in the box from a corner and with Lukasz Fabianski flapping, Mikael Silvestre is there with the clearance.
            2044: Liverpool piling the pressure on before half-time. Kolo Toure makes a vital interception to deny Fernando Torres a shooting chance.
            2039: Chance for an immediate response. Dirk Kuyt plays a through-ball to Yossi Benayoun as left-back Kieran Gibbs fails to intercept. The Israeli curls a left-foot shot towards goal but Lukasz Fabianski is having a great game and palms the ball round the post.

2038: GOAL Liverpool 0-1 Arsenal
            Cripes. Javier Mascherano gives the ball away initially, Samir Nasri provides a delightful pass with the outside of his foot for Cesc Fabregas - who is just onside - and he cuts the ball back for Andrey Arshavin to finish off the underside of the bar. That's spiced things up a bit hasn't it?
            2037: Cesc Fabregas is Anfield's least popular man at the moment. Just seconds after staying down after a Jamie Carragher challenges, the Spaniard springs back to his feet to whip the ball off Xabi Alonso's feet.
            BBC Sport's Phil McNulty at Anfield: "Liverpool still firmly in the ascendancy but one or two little signs of over-anxiety, especially from Daniel Agger and Fabio Aurelio - a little early for that but perhaps understandable because the stakes are so high. Anfield has turned up the volume to deafening, inspired mainly by a rash of questionable calls by referee Howard Webb. Fabianski is stopping everything so far - Liverpool will be hoping he is not gearing up for one of those nights."
            2032: Stunning from Fernando Torres, leaving Kolo Toure in a pile, before hammering the shot goalwards - too close to the keeper. Liverpool win a corner and Samir Nasri clears off the line from Daniel Agger's glancing header. Good game this.
            2031: The Liverpool fans are still booing about that last decision. Arsenal on the attack, Kieran Gibbs managing to collect Nicklas Bendtner's awful pass and crossing from the left. Daniel Agger heads the ball away, despite Pepe Reina being in attendance, Cesc Fabregas pokes it back in and Bendtner is an inch away from the final touch.
            2028: Dirk Kuyt heads a long ball just outside the area and then collides with Mikael Silvestre before performing at least four full rolls. Kuyt, Rafa Benitez and all the home fans want a free-kick. Howard Webb, he say no.

From Sinspaw on 606: "It's starting to get frustrating already. Arsenal can't get possession for more than five seconds."
            Join the debate on 606
            2023: Mikael Silvestre avoids a yellow card despite catching Fernando Torres a touch late. The French defender makes up for his error by heading Xabi Alonso's free-kick clear.
            2020: Super save Lukasz Fabianski. The Polish stopper makes a fingertip save from a Fernando Torres rocket that was heading for the top corner.
            BBC Sport's Phil McNulty at Anfield: "Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger makes his first venture from the technical area to complain about a wasted long pass - or has he just been told his old friend Hull City boss Phil Brown is in attendance at Anfield? Brown isn't here to kiss and make up with Wenger or Cesc Fabregas after the infamous Emirates spitting storm. He is here because his increasingly troubled team face Liverpool at the KC Stadium at the weekend."
            2019: Arsenal work the ball swiftly from right to left, but the final pass from Cesc Fabregas to Andrei Arshavin takes a little deflection and Liverpool recover.
            BBC Sport's Phil McNulty at Anfield: "Liverpool still showing a little concern over Fernando Torres after that awkward fall - Ryan Babel and Nabil El Zhar are warming up. Lively start from Liverpool and some early action for Arsenal keeper Lukasz Fabianski, which will do him the world of good after his unconvincing display in the FA Cup semi-final defeat against Chelsea at Wembley."

Mark Lawrenson on BBC 5 Live: "Where's Alex Song playing? He's nowhere near his central defenders. There's a massive gap and Dirk Kuyt is just wandering in there."
            2012: Dirk Kuyt plays a delightful ball through for Yossi Benayoun, but Lukasz Fabianski dives at his feet and then does the same to Alvaro Arbeloa. Brave stuff from the Gunners keeper, under a bit of pressure after Saturday's FA Cup semi-final.
            2010: Liverpool fans can breath again. Torres is back on.
            2008: Fernando Torres challenges for a long ball and it eventually squirms free to Albert Riera just outside the box but Lukasz Fabiasnki is equal to the shot. Torres needs treatment after that bit of rough and tumble.
            2007: Good start from Liverpool. Denilson gives the ball away in midfield and Javier Mascherano passes to Fernando Torres on the right-hand edge of the box but he is crowded out of it.
            2005: Fernando Torres has an early sight of goal, sprinting in between two dithering Arsenal defenders on the left but sidefooting the shot too close to Lucasz Fabianski. Decent chance.
            2003: Dirk Kuyt will play off Fernando Torres, with Yossi Benayoun on the right. For Arsenal, Samir Nasri is on the right, Andrei Arshavin over on the left.
            2002: Arsenal, in their yellow and blue kit, get us under way.
            2001: The Arsenal fans hold up a large banner reading 'Respect for the 96' which is a nice touch. The Liverpool fans respond with a particularly immense version of You'll Never Walk Alone.
            1959: I haven't seen this with my own eyes, but I hear that George Gillett is sitting next to Tom Hicks. Aw. Are they back together again? That is the healing power of a Premier League title race.
            Dan R the 'first time txting' Gooner via text on 81111: "I can't help but think its going to be 90 minutes of us delightfully passing the ball around Liverpool's half to no avail, with a few moments of brilliance from Torres deciding the game... However I wouldn't rule out some magic from Arshavin. I would, however, from Bendtner."
            1957: Right. Here come the players. Dunno about you, but I'm very much looking forward to this.
            BBC Sport's Phil McNulty at Anfield: "Liverpool co-owner Tom Hicks is also in town and sitting in the front row of the directors' box, attracting plenty of attention from a bank of photographers. Every appearance in England by the Texan usually coincides with a rash of speculation about Liverpool's future ownership. We shall see."

From WilsonLFC on 606: "An easy victory for Liverpool, should be quite comfortable, considering it's Anfield, and it's night-time so I'd expect all the buzz of a typical European-ish night at Anfield."
            Join the debate on 606
            From BBC Sport's Phil McNulty at Anfield: "Fabio Capello must be having a night off - England's coach has dispatched a very jovial Stuart Pearce to cast his eye over events at Anfield and he has just arrived in the directors' box. Not sure exactly who he will be casting his eye over with Theo Walcott on the bench for Arsenal."
            1943: Before I forget, don't forget to tune in to Danny Baker on 606 (audio version) after the game. And if you can make head or tail of his 606 (web-based version) post, you're a better person than I.
            Danny Baker on 606

From anon via text on 81111: "Re 1930: here's another thing (or two): Liverpool are unbeaten in their last 29 home games. And Torres has 26 goals in 29 games at Anfield."
            1938: Other things are going on in other leagues tonight. Cardiff and Reading could book Championship play-off places. Cheltenham could drop out of League One - and could be replaced by Brentford. I'll try to keep you up to date with all that. Don't get upset if I don't though.
            From Rob in London via text on 81111: "Re 1930:But Bendtner isn't Drogba."
            True. Very true.
            1930: I think the real reason Nicklas Bendtner is starting is because Emmanuel Adebayor is injured, and Eduardo isn't match fit. No? Anyway, here's a thing: the Gunners are on their longest unbeaten league run since the 'Invincibles' season in 2003/4.
            From zakattack1888 on 606 : "The reason Bendtner is playing is because Arsenal need a big target man - just look what Drogba did to Liverpool!!!!"
            Join the debate on 606
            1924: TEAM NEWS Liverpool v Arsenal
            Liverpool are again without injured skipper Steven Gerrard and make two changes from the side which drew 4-4 with Chelsea a week ago as centre-back Daniel Agger replaces Martin Skrtel and winger Albert Riera comes in for Lucas. Arsenal shuffle their pack with five changes as Emmanuel Eboue, Theo Walcott, Abou Diaby, Robin van Persie and Emmanuel Adebayor are replaced by Bacary Sagna, Alex Song, Andrei Arshavin, Samir Nasri and Nicklas Bendtner.
            1922: TEAMS Liverpool v Arsenal
            Liverpool: Reina, Arbeloa, Carragher, Agger, Aurelio, Alonso, Mascherano, Benayoun, Kuyt, Riera, Torres. Subs: Cavalieri, Dossena, Babel, Lucas, Ngog, El Zhar, Skrtel.
            Arsenal: Fabianski, Sagna, Toure, Silvestre, Gibbs, Arshavin, Song Billong, Fabregas, Denilson, Nasri, Bendtner. Subs: Mannone, Diaby, Eduardo, Vela, Walcott, Ramsey, Eboue.
            1919:Shay from Liverpool wants to know when Manchester United will play their game in hand. Well, Shay, thanks for asking: United won't actually catch up until they face Wigan on 13 May, two games before the end of the season.
            From BBC Sport's Phil McNulty at Anfield: "Anfield is paying tribute to a Liverpool legend and a member of Arsenal's 1971 double-winning side tonight. Ray Kennedy's white Liverpool number 5 and his blue Arsenal number 10 - part of the colours they wore in that year's cup final win against Liverpool - will be emblazoned on mosaics on The Kop and in the Anfield Road end. Kennedy suffers from Parkinson's disease and the tribute is to raise awareness of Liverpool fan Karl Coppack's Ray of Hope appeal, which has collected over £40,000 to fund essential equipment and services for the former England midfield man."
            1916: Bit of Arsenal team news: Theo Walcott is on the bench. Andrei Arshavin, Bacary Sagna, Alex Song, Samir Nasri and Nicklas Bendtner all play.

From Pam in Thornton, via text on 81111: "Arsenal will win - I know this because I dreamt about a purple woodpecker with rollerboots on last night and I'm sure it was an omen. Maybe."
            From davidoff on 606: "This has draw written all over it. Everywhere."
            Join the debate on 606
            1912: A win or a draw for Liverpool would see them return to the top of the Premier League at least until United play tomorrow.
            1910: Bit of Liverpool team news for you: Daniel Agger returns in defence, while Albert Riera will play on the left. Martin Skrtel and Lucas drop out.
            1907: Arsenal not only have the Gunners faithful behind them tonight, they'll also have the backing of the Manchester United fans. Victory for Arsenal would allow United to stretch their lead to four points if they beat Portsmouth tomorrow.
            1900: Welcome one and all. Arsenal may very well hold the destiny of the Premier League title in their hands. After Liverpool tonight, they face Chelsea on 10 May and Man United on 16 May. Arsene Wenger hasn't even given up on the Gunners snatching the trophy. "Why not first? You never know. You do not want to have regrets," he said, briefly channelling the spirit of Edith Piaf.

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
              was arsenal inconsistent with tH14?
              Last year?

Consistently the #4 EPL team?

Comment

These YOUNG GUNNERS?

http://www.livescores.com/default.dl...d1&game=254059

90'Liverpool4 - 4Arsenal

Liverpool 4; A. Arshavin = 4!

Comment

Liverpool 4-4 Arsenal

PREMIER LEAGUE LATEST (2000 BST)
                  Liverpool 4-4 Arsenal

GOALFLASHES AND MAJOR INCIDENTS (all times BST)

By Caroline Cheese

2152: GOAL Liverpool 4-4 Arsenal
                  2152: Into minute three of five of added time.

Comment

he wasn't there last year

Comment

Deep breaths, Dunny! Time to 'warm down'

FTLiverpool [4 - 4] Arsenal

36'[0 - 1]
                      A. Arshavin

49'[1 - 1]F. Torres

56'[2 - 1]Y. Benayoun

61'B. Sagna

67'[2 - 2]A. Arshavin

70'[2 - 3]A. Arshavin

72'[3 - 3]F. Torres

90'[4 - 4]Y. Benayoun A. Arshavin

Copyright © 1998-2009 LiveScore Ltd

Last edited by Karl; April 21, 2009, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Wenger & Benitez!

By Caroline Cheese

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger: "The game was of quality on both sides. Both sides gave absolutely everything. You're only half happy when you concede four goals. Andrey Arshavin's performance was outstanding. He had a quiet first half but when he comes into the game he's always very dangerous. He's a character and a winner."

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez: "We made too many mistakes, but it's also positive because the team showed character to the last minute. We have a point against a good team and we are top. United are in the driving seat so we have to keep pushing until the last game. Arsenal have to play United... it's football, you never know."

Comment

Boy Karl,me voice gone,i was watching the game in a sprts bar with approx. 150 people,what an atmosphere,what a game.

Comment

Originally posted by Dunny View Post
                            Boy Karl,me voice gone,i was watching the game in a sprts bar with approx. 150 people,what an atmosphere,what a game.
                            My interet connection did nto even start - TVU
                            Hope there is a replay...somewhere?

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                              he wasn't there last year

Extremely good one!

Comment

Working...
                              X