Referee Web yesterday gave a yellow card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Referee Web yesterday gave a yellow card

on Manu penalty kick to Gomes. Based on the argument by many on the forum it should have been a straight red if you compare it to that of Torres/Friedel sittuation.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

1st the ref was wrong , because Gomes attempted to play the ball and got the ball , giving a yellow was trying to gloss over a terrible mistake on the refs part.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot...em/8018920.stm

Redknapp rages at 'terrible' penalty that saw Man United steam ahead

By Joe Bernstein Last updated at 11:38 AM on 26th April 2009
    Furious Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp confronted referee Howard Webb in the Old Trafford tunnel after his 'terrible mistake' helped Manchester United overturn a 2-0 half-time deficit to beat Spurs 5-2 and stay three points clear at the top.
    Even United manager Sir Alex Ferguson conceded his side had a lucky break when Webb controversially ruled that Spurs goalkeeper Heurelho Gomes had tripped Michael Carrick. TV replays showed he had tipped the ball away first.
    Cristiano Ronaldo converted the spot-kick to spark an incredible spell of five United goals in 22 minutes.
    Scroll down for more

Turning point: Carrick falls as goalkeeper Gomes gets a hand to the ball

Redknapp and his equally angry assistant, Joe Jordan, approached Webb in the tunnel after the game and Redknapp then gave the official a piece of his mind in the referee's room.
    Redknapp said: 'It was a terrible mistake by the referee. I told him he had made a big mistake. All he would say was "If I did, I am sorry".
    'Even the United players on the pitch were telling our lads they couldn't believe it had been given.

More...

'The ball went at right angles. How would that have happened if our keeper had not got a full hand on it?'
    The 57th-minute incident inspired misfiring United to a handsome victory and Redknapp said: 'It changed the face of this game. We were 2-0 ahead and I couldn't see them getting back into it without a bit of help from the referee. I think you have to use technology now.
    'You have the fourth official concentrating on petty things like making sure managers don't step out of the technical area. Why can't they view a screen and help the ref?'
    Liverpool had drawn level with United earlier in the day by beating Hull City 3-1 but United's win means they now only need 10 points from five games to guarantee their third consecutive title.
    'If we had beaten United, it would have been game on for the title but I can't see them slipping now,' said Redknapp.
    Ferguson, who feels his side have been on the wrong end of penalty decisions in the last two FA Cup campaigns - against Redknapp's Portsmouth and Everton in last week's semi-final - admitted his side were lucky.
    'Football is a funny game and this time we got a break,' he said. 'We needed to get a goal early in the second half because before then we were too slow and casual. We got it and then we were confident.'
    Meanwhile, Redknapp has discovered that centre-back Michael Dawson, carried off in last week's win over Newcastle at White Hart Lane, suffered a partially torn ankle ligament and will be out for at least three weeks.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

I am just curious how you could compare the two ? Nothing about them is similar in anyway.

1)Friedel didnt attempt to play the ball

2)Friedel didnt get the ball

3) Friedel obstructed the man .

Whether intentional or not if it happens in the 6 yard box with nothing between the goal keeper and the attacker and the ball isnt played its going to be a straight red.

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Did the ref get it wrong with the freekick that led to Liverpool's opening goal? Address that first.
        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Boss stick to the issue nuh man , it nuh dat personal a ball we a talk about as it pertains to the rules of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by X View Post
            Boss stick to the issue nuh man , it nuh dat personal a ball we a talk about as it pertains to the rules of the game.
            If yuh waan tek it personal thats on you. All these hypocrites bitching bout the penalty ... show some balance ... talk bout the phantom freekick that led to your first goal.
            "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
              on Manu penalty kick to Gomes. Based on the argument by many on the forum it should have been a straight red if you compare it to that of Torres/Friedel sittuation.
              Sass, the outcome is consistent with the Liverpool game.

Comment

Liverpool deh pan yuh mind like Fergie ?

Comment

Originally posted by X View Post
                  Liverpool deh pan yuh mind like Fergie ?
                  Riena wasn't redcarded for the foul on Park, thats the reason for mentioning your pathetic side.

Comment

that is not the point Lazie. The point for me is the red card offense as what is and what is not.

You can't send goalie off for plainly trying to win the ball without any malicous intent.
                    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post

Yuh seit!

...yet I have to add, that should have been no penalty against Gomes and Tottenham! Di BoyU man dem lucky eeeeennnnnnnhhhh? ...or dem ave di ref dem innah.....
                      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
                      X