X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mosiah step up-Tell we bout da youth ya

Local-based Nigerian player eyes Europe

Sunday, May 03, 2009
    Harbour View FC's impressive Nigerian Under-21 player Lanre Ajobo is on a journey to make it to the top.
    AJOBO... my goal is to play in Jamaica until I get a chance in Europe
    The African-born midfielder, whose ambition is to play in one of Europe's top leagues in the future, left his native Nigeria six months ago on the recommendation of his older brother Olakunle Taofeer in an effort to chart a course forward.
    Gonga, as he is affectionately called by his peers, said he is impressed by Harbour View's structure and organisation as a club and believes the East Kingston-based outfit can provide the springboard he needs to
    move ahead.
    "Everything about Harbour View is organised; the way we train, the way they talk to us. The technical crew and coaches; the executive members are all very organised and I personally want to thank them for everything they've done for me since I came here," he said.
    Brother Taofeer, who has been living in Jamaica for the past 20 years and has worked with the JFF, was responsible for his sibling's decision to come
    to Jamaica.
    "He was the one that initiated me and let me understand that I should come and play in Jamaica because the level of the game in Jamaica is very interesting... and that I'm going to enjoy my game here," he said.
    "But my goal is to play in the Jamaican league for a while until I can get a chance to get exposure at a big club in Europe," Ajobo added.
    His immediate goal, he shares, is to make the transition from Under-21 to the seniors. But this, he concedes, will be no easy task.
    "I'm working extra hard and it's also a challenge for me, but I'm very focused on my goals... so far I see some people ahead of me and I really want to get there some day and play for the senior team," he stated.
    The youngster said playing professionally in Nigeria and for the national team has helped him develop his game.
    "Playing professional football in Nigeria was the greatest opportunity I ever had. The Nigerian game is very tactical and for you to excel, you have to be a good footballer; you have to work extra hard," he noted.
    Ajobo, who has played for his state team three times and also for the Nigeria Under-17 team, said
    the national coach has been his source of inspiration.
    "My coach is the one that motivated and tell me that I can play at a high level, and so I always tried to play purposeful football," Ajobo told the Sunday Observer.
    Ajobo, who turned 19 on April 21, celebrated the day with his first goal for Harbour View in their win over Reno the following day.
    However, it has not always been smooth sailing for Ajobo since his arrival in the island as the Jamaica Creole continues to present a huge challenge for him.
    "The language patois, I wasn't able to understand what they were saying... even my teammates, I used to tell them to speak more slowly so I could understand, but as time goes on I will catch up," he said.
    Harbour View's Under-21 coach Harold Thomas said the Nigerian is a model of a true young professional and noted that he never loses his cool no matter the situation.

Not sure he is as good as the article suggests. However, I have not seen him play, but he took a while to settle in the U-21 for HV, so...I have asked about him and it does not appear he is setting the place ablaze with his skills.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Him shoulda go to the yardie bush league in Marylan first. That one have whole heap of hybrid Nigerian patois speakers. Then he would hit the ground running like Uche who was at Waterhouse.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
        Not sure he is as good as the article suggests. However, I have not seen him play, but he took a while to settle in the U-21 for HV, so...I have asked about him and it does not appear he is setting the place ablaze with his skills.
        thanks boss

Comment

The other thing I should mention is how "ordinary" Akeem Preistly has looked since he returned to Harbour after a decent college career in the US. And that's why I know there are at least 25 Adus in Jamaica. I suppose many thought he would come to Jamaica and dun di place. Well, he hasn't thus far. Still a good player but there are several here that are at least his equal and some even better.

He is supposed to be on his way to some "big" club after this NPL season.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
            The other thing I should mention is how "ordinary" Akeem Preistly has looked since he returned to Harbour after a decent college career in the US. And that's why I know there are at least 25 Adus in Jamaica. I suppose many thought he would come to Jamaica and dun di place. Well, he hasn't thus far. Still a good player but there are several here that are at least his equal and some even better.

He is supposed to be on his way to some "big" club after this NPL season.
            No doubt,nuff good player down deh,they only need some better field to play on.

Comment

Exactly! And some better clubs and coaches in some situations. But individual talent abounds!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
              X