• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drogba 'sorry' for referee abuse

Video :http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8039181.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8038835.stm

Drogba 'sorry' for referee abuse

Didier Drogba hounded referee Ovrebo after the final whistle

Didier Drogba has apologised for verbally abusing Norwegian referee Tom Henning Ovrebo following Chelsea's Champions League exit on Wednesday. The Ivorian and several team-mates surrounded Ovrebo after Chelsea's 1-1 draw with Barcelona, with Drogba clearly swearing at the Norwegian.
    In a statement issued by the club Drogba admitted he had overreacted.
    "In the heat of the moment I let out my huge frustration and disappointment and for that I apologise," he said.
    The 31-year-old continued his verbal attack on the match officials even after being booked, and had to be restrained as Ovrebo went down the tunnel.
    "I was very upset at what happened during the game," added Drogba.
    emp_load.getEmpEmbeddedParams("emp_8038835");
    Taylor calls for Uefa to use video evidence

"I also fully accept that the language I used did not set a good example for those watching at home, especially children."
    Chelsea were unhappy that a number of penalty appeals were turned down by Ovrebo, before and after Andres Iniesta's dramatic injury-time strike that sent Barcelona through on the away goal's rule into a final against Manchester United in Rome on 27 May.
    "Chelsea welcomes Didier's statement which was made honestly and after reflection," said Chelsea in a statement.
    "We are all acutely aware of the responsibilities that lie with both the club and its players towards setting a good example as role models.
    "While it is clear that some of the events were regrettable, they occurred only because of the high emotions and frustrations which arose from the disappointment of a controversial defeat in such an important game.
    emp_load.getEmpEmbeddedParams("emp_8039200");

"We made representations to Uefa immediately after the game and we await their comments following a review of the match officials' report."
    European governing body Uefa is expected to confirm on Friday whether Drogba will be punished for his behaviour.
    "It is not acceptable," Professional Footballers' Association chief executive Gordon Taylor told BBC Radio 5 Live. "It will have to be punished [by Uefa]. But having been a player, you knew where Drogba was coming from."
    emp_load.getEmpEmbeddedParams("emp_8039181");
    Chelsea-Barca step too far for Ovrebo - Gallacher

Taylor also suggested the Chelsea staff could have done more to defuse the situation.
    "You could see there were going to be problems at the end of the game and that's why stewards and security should have been very careful to make sure that no-one got near the referee," he said.
    Former Premier League Dermot Gallacher referee said he was surprised by Ovrebo's performance.
    He told the BBC: "Of the five key decisions he got three wrong three - Drogba was a penalty, shirt pull and trip, and should have been a red card - the trip on Nicolas Anelka wasn't a foul, Eric Abidal is very, very unlucky. Gerard Pique was the easiest decision of the five, as it was a clear handball.
    "This guy is not a new guy - 22 Champions League games is quite a CV - and he's been on the Uefa list since 1994. He's cool, calm, collected, profile on the rise, as it was on the night it proved a step too far.
    A Uefa spokesman refused to confirm whether Drogba or Chelsea will face reprimands, saying: "We will see the report from the referee and match delegate before deciding whether to take any action."
    Blues captain John Terry, who also strongly remonstrated with Ovrebo, defended the reactions of the Chelsea players and Drogba in particular.
    FOOTBALL BLOG

Chelsea were left with the bitter after-taste of defeat and the potential consequences of another loss of control from Drogba

Phil McNulty

"I am fully behind Didier for the way he reacted," declared Terry. "The man wants to win. You can see the passion that he played with during the game and the passion afterwards.
    "People are saying we shouldn't have reacted the way we did but the fact is, six decisions went against us in front of 40,000 people. And for the ref to not give one of them is unusual."
    The central defender also condemned the decision to select Ovrebo for such a high-profile tie.
    Taylor added that the controversy over Ovrebo's performance, which also saw him controversially send off Barca's Eric Abidal, underlined the need to use video technology to aid match officials.
    emp_load.getEmpEmbeddedParams("emp_8038054");

"It is too much pressure on the referee," he claimed.
    "I don't understand why they don't make use of technology to make sure decisions are right. It is used in other sports and used well."
    Meanwhile, defender Jose Bosingwa issued a statement on Thursday to retract comments made in a Portuguese TV interview in which he described Ovrebo as a "thief".
    Bosingwa said: "We were all very disappointed and frustrated after the game, but I regret describing the referee as a thief.
    "Having had some time to reflect, I would like to withdraw those comments."
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Chelsea is totally out of order and should be disciplined! 6 decisions against them?!? Nonsense! That foul outside the area was just that. Just because player forces himself into the area and then flops doesn't make it a penalty.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
    X