• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donor found to help RSL player's wife

Donor found to help RSL player's wife

By James Edward
    Deseret News

Somewhere in Spain, someone has emerged as a potential lifesaver for Marcia Williams.

Nearly a year after the wife of Real Salt Lake midfielder Andy Williams first started experiencing the symptoms of what was eventually diagnosed as a rare form of leukemia, a bone-marrow donor match has been found.

It's not a perfect clinical match, but it's close enough that doctors at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle are going to proceed with the transplant on June 12. For the first time in months, there's optimism in the Williams household amid the many obstacles that still lie ahead.

First, Marcia must undergo her third round of chemotherapy next week. Then there's the pain of the transplant procedure followed by the uncertainty of whether her body will accept or reject the transplant.

The tight-knit soccer community in Utah and throughout the country rallied around the Williams family, but in a broader perspective they rallied around the entire marrow donor program, and that's what makes the news of a donor match for Marcia so inspiring.

The donor marrow program works, even from a continent away.
    Until Andy Williams' wife was diagnosed with leukemia, I was a bit na?e about the entire bone-marrow donor program. Marcia's plight, however, helped me and thousands of others in the soccer community realize we can help. By filling out some paperwork and the painless swabbing of a cheek, we became registered bone-marrow donors.

More than 6,000 men, women and children search the National Registry for a lifesaving donor match every day. Marcia Williams has been one of those patients for the past nine months, and a match was found an ocean away.

Only 1 in 200 registered donors will ever actually be utilized, but who's to say that you or I aren't the match a young patient in Germany or Ohio is praying for?

For me, registering was about doing my part. Modern medicine is there to save lives like Marcia Williams', she just needs help. Only 30 percent of those seeking a transplant find a donor match among family members. The remaining 70 percent need to find a match among the 10 million registered bone-marrow donors worldwide.

Are you one of the 10 million registered donors? If not, it's easy to become a potential life saver. Log onto dkmsamericas.org and request a registration packet be mailed to your home.

Before a match was found for his wife, Williams said, "continue praying and hoping for the best. God has a decision for all of us, and hopefully it will be a good one for us."

Now that a match has been located, Williams and his wife no longer deal with the heartache of wondering if a match will ever be found. A simple civic duty in Spain was the answer to that prayer.

"Now the focus and all the energy is it will be accepted," said Andy Williams.
    No need to thank me forumites.

Greats news. Very happy for the Williams family.

Comment

hallelujah!!!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Great news!! Hope everything works out in the end for Marcia and the Williams' household.
        "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

Comment

Thank di Lord fi Jesus. Hope everything goes well.
          "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

There was a collection drive being undertaken for Marcia Williams at the Rebok Games last saturday. The young lady whom claims to know her personally and speaks with her regularly, said that this report was not true after I told her about it. She said that they were still searching for a donor.
            Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Wish the family all the very best!
              "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
              X