El Salvador v Jamaica - I was disappointed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• El Salvador v Jamaica - I was disappointed

Of course I had to see the game live. It was in my backyard at RFK. OK, so I have to admit I did not know much about this "new" team under Coach John Barnes, so I went to the game with an open mind.

I do not know most of the player names, so I will refer to their numbers. I thought the standout players were the #11 and #12. Most of the RBZ's positive attacking moves were due to the personal skills of those players. #4 (who I learned after the game was Adderly) showed good ball knowledge, but I thought his execution was lacking. Seemed clumsy at critical times of the game. My biggest disappointment was with #7 (Jason Morrison). Many times he was caught flat-footed waiting on passes that were eventually intercepted by an El Salvador player. He also did not do well looking around for the best positioned team-mates to pass to. It was like he could only pass the ball in the direction he was facing.

Both teams played very tentatively in the first half, not making any penetrating moves thru the oppposing defense. El Salvador got the best breakthrough chance to score in the second half from a RBZ error on our left-flank. The resulting header in the goal area from the El Salvador player beat the RBZ keeper and went just shy of the upright. If that had scored El Salvador would have won the game. The momentum was with them from then to the game's end.

My best moment of the game came 20 minutes before starting time when by chance I got to meet and shake hands with Capt Burrel's as he was coming off the elevator leading to the press box.

#1 fan
    "He has been the best so far based on his level of professionalism and great motivational skills. That made him one of the top coaches I have ever been under. He was exceptional in getting the best out of his players."

Paul Young on Renee Simoes (c. 2005)

Thanks for the feedback and welcome back to the forum. It has been maybe two years since you have been missing.
    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

It is time!
      We have had our Independence since 1962. In terms of the life of a nation a mere few years ago. However our expectations are lofty. We have had sons and daughters who have risen to the challenge and in various disciplines made it to the highest of heights.

We have had our George Headley, Jeffery Dujon, Michael Holding, Courtney Walsh and others in cricket. We have had our Arthur Wint, George Rhoden, Herb McKenley, Donald Quarrie, Bertland Cameron, Merlene Ottey, Deon Hemmings and our recent Olympic and World Record holders on the Track. We have had our Norman Manley, Hugh Lawson Shearer, Michael Manley whose voices have been in the forefront of leading the World’s charge against inequality and injustice. We have had in football the lone exploits of Lindy Delaphena as top world rated player. These, our sons and daughters, have lead on the World’s stage. They have whetted our appetite for top world performances. They by their actions have said that nothing but the best is good enough. The result is our expectations are lofty.

We have been to FIFA’s World Cup finals and won a match. Our expectations are lofty. It is time to be honest with ourselves where quality of our national teams is concerned. It is time to call a spade a spade. Our national teams, at all levels, suck! …and we need to make the players, coaches and administrators know we know they suck!

It is time to stop fooling those who aspire to be players, coaches or administrators into believing that that which now holds is acceptable. Enough is enough!

It is time we shout it loud and clear that TEAM play, good team play is what it is all about. It is time those who manage our football recognize that that which they currently put before us is not good enough. Our expectations are lofty and there must be concerted effort to satisfy those expectations.

The new mantra where our football is concerned must be “nothing but the best is good enough”.

We are not suggesting that tomorrow our players, coaches and administrators will awake and suddenly be TOP OF THE WORLD. But we expect that tomorrow they shall awake realizing that what they have been offering is not good enough and with determination to immediately start doing all in their powers about getting on the road to “good, very good, and excellent”.

It is time that our media practioners cease and desist from presenting flowery reports on performances of players, coaches, administrators and teams that are not based on the reality of our expectations. And when the performances compared to world top performances are awful present us with truth.

It is time we honestly report on the performances of our national teams. If the reporters themselves have been schooled into thinking our awful play is great, having themselves been fed by reporters who have gone before who in their ignorance supplied a diet of ’awful’ being described as ‘brilliant’…then the present reporters need to know that it is time that they understand they must bring themselves up to speed on knowledge of the game. Put selves on a new diet that moves them to being able to recognize the qualities of a good player, good coach, good administrator and good team.

Ignorant reporters feeding the public descriptions of poor play as excellent leads to a new generation of players, coaches, administrators and teams that are just not good enough to satisfy expectations.

There are too many parading as ‘teachers’ of the game – players, coaches, administrators, fans and reporters - who need to return to ‘football school’, enter at the kindergarten level and work selves through to graduation. If it were not so how could the players, coaches, administrators, fans and reporters…time after time…hold out players, coaches and our national teams as “great” and on those players, teams, coaches getting to the final stages of qualifying for FIFA World Championships are upended and dumped from the competitions?

http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/views.aspx?id=233

It is past time that we face the reality of how awful too many of our players, coaches, administrators and reporters are. It is time to work…really work…at getting to the TOP OF THE WORLD!

The kids have the innate talents...but if the 'teachers' (coaches, administrators, reporters) are mar-ers...no grasp of the subject matter and spew as knowledge/facts 'nonsense'...

...then?

Confusion! ...an accepting of 'the nonsense' as sense....and practicing of 'the nonsense' and putting that on display.

It is time we come awake and stop leading our talented youth down the wrong path
      Last edited by Karl; June 1, 2009, 09:40 AM.
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Right Karl, we cyaan even trust our own media for objective reporting, everybady inna dis hype ting. The observer say a 50,000 people watch de game, and de Washington Post say a 30, 313. As for de play on the field, mi neva expect a good performance from the local ballers, but a 0-0 draw is acceptable. Most of our local ballers nuh ready fi prime time; one or two have likkle skill, but their tactical and technical execution are poor.
        Six days I work for my children, on the seventh day they work for me.
        Mitty

Comment

Right Karl, we cyaan even trust our own media for objective reporting, everybady inna dis hype ting. The observer say a 50,000 people watch de game, and de Washington Post say a 30, 313. As for de play on the field, mi neva expect a good performance from the local ballers, but a 0-0 draw is acceptable. Most of our local ballers nuh ready fi prime time; one or two have likkle skill, but their tactical and technical executions are poor.
          Six days I work for my children, on the seventh day they work for me.
          Mitty

Comment

50,000 - 30,313 = undocumented persons

Comment

Working...
            X