President Wallace faces tough challenge in St James FA elections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• President Wallace faces tough challenge in St James FA elections

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><SPAN class=TopStory>President Wallace faces tough challenge in St James FA elections</SPAN>
    <SPAN class=Subheadline></SPAN></TD></TR><TR><TD>BY PAUL A REID Observer writer
    Monday, November 20, 2006
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <P class=StoryText align=justify>MONTEGO BAY - Lennox Wallace, president of the St James Football Association, is expected to face two challengers for his post at tonight's Annual General Meeting (AGM) of the FA to be held at the Montego Bay Cricket Club starting at 7:00 pm.<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width=120 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD><SPAN class=Description>WALLACE... confident of victory </SPAN></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><P class=StoryText align=justify>Orville Powell, who served as Wallace's second vice-president and Thomas Chambers, president of the St James Cricket Association, have both confirmed they will be in the race for the presidency.
    Wallace, who took over from George Evans two years ago, had easily beaten Errol Campbell in the last voting AGM two years ago.<P class=StoryText align=justify>A Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) executive is expected to oversee the voting procedures tonight.
    While Chambers is not expected to mount a serious challenge to the incumbent, Powell who started his campaign some time ago, is seen as a serious contender.
    Powell has surrounded himself with a powerful team that includes the influential competitions director Lilly Mae Crawford, first class cricket umpire Steve Bucknor and Seba United chairman, Bruce Gaynor.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Former JFF Third Vice-president, David Watt, who served as general secretary to Wallace said he would be contesting the position of first vice-president against the incumbent Jerry Reid.
    In a manifesto published by Powell, it was pointed out that not all the people they listed in the booklet had been contacted by their team but were recommended by others.<P class=StoryText align=justify>The six-page document which called the Powell-led group "Team Recovery" listed a number of areas that will get priority under their stewardship. They plan to place emphasis on youth programmes, infrastructure, technical areas, finance and marketing.<P class=StoryText align=justify>The Observer was unable to contact Wallace over the weekend as he was said to be out of town. Jerry Reid. who is seeking to return as first vice-president, said he is confident Wallace would be returned as president.
    The other candidate, Chambers, noted that he was making himself available for election as he thinks he can move football forward in the parish.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Chambers, who served previously as a board member, said he did not think being the president of the cricket association would affect his ability to oversee football as well and he was certain he could do both jobs effectively.
    "St James football is not going anywhere," Chambers said. "We need more international football in the parish," he added.<P class=StoryText align=justify>He said he would use the proceeds from international games to help the local clubs including those in the National Premier League.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Chambers, who played football for Cornwall College in the 1950s, said he had spoken to delegates of clubs who were "disgruntled with what is going on as there seems to be no growth" in the sport in the parish.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

RE: President Wallace faces tough challenge in St James FA elections

Come Sickko man - Give us a synopsis of what has been happening in St James football since 2003?

In fact, since you are in the West - kindly make some calls and along with your own observations give us a run down on progress or no in the Western parishes - Westmoreland, Hanover, St. James, Trelawny - ...and Western Confed?

A Congress is due in 2007 - why should any of the Presidents and or the Chairman of the Western Confed be returned?

Sickko: I am assuming that you may find it difficult to do a similar job on the other Confeds and their respective parishes! Am I right?

If not, it would be great if you could do a series on each area?
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Yes sickko, please do an analysis of all the areas - mi interested in happenings in the East!!
      Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
      - Langston Hughes

Comment

Sickko only have analysis on Burell and him friend them.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Karl (11/20/2006)Come Sickko man - Give us a synopsis of what has been happening in St James football since 2003?

In fact, since you are in the West - kindly make some calls and along with your own observations give us a run down on progress or no in the Western parishes - Westmoreland, Hanover, St. James, Trelawny - ...and Western Confed?

A Congress is due in 2007 - why should any of the Presidents and or the Chairman of the Western Confed be returned?

Sickko: I am assuming that you may find it difficult to do a similar for the other Confeds and their respective parishes! Am I right?

If not, it would be great if you could do a series on each area?
          Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
          Che Guevara.

Comment

Disappointment or are we well on the way?

http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/views.as...ess&amp;id=159

Comment

http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/views.as...ess&amp;id=156

FORWARD?

Comment

Well appears I cant use the technology on the Forum so I will try and remember all the questions you asked.

As for synopsis of what has been going on in St James, some progress has been made but still a whole lot still to be done as would be expected. people who are part of the executive who have not been working over the years and then all of a sudden want to jump in and use their money as leverage to get positions wont help either.

I think if Powell wins the election tonight it would be a backward step for football in the parish but time will tell as far as that is concerned.

Wallace is a good president and managed to keep the football moving forward, not as fast as some would have hoped but as usual, he had to do everything by himself.

Powell complained to the press about the state of the fields in the parish but he seemed to have forgotten that he was the head of the committee responsible for them.

I am not sure what the local FA voting and the Western Confederation have to do with the JFF Congress coming up next year, maybe I am just not getting the whole picture. The way I see it is that each FA is autonomous; it is not like the JLP and PNP where each constituency helps to decide the big picture.

Then again maybe I am wrong.

As for me giving a synopsis of the entire country...I cant do that. That kind of thing takes local knowledge and it would take some one close to the situation to be able to shift through the several layers.

Additionally why would I go into some one else's region to do a story like that? The Observer has writers/reporters in all regions and that would take on that responsibility.
                Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                Che Guevara.

Comment

The East is not my region at all...check Everard Owen for that, or Gareth Davis- they are the major writers from the east.
                  Che Guevara.

Comment

Working...
                  X