Me just a follow up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Me just a follow up

Me just a follow up to our conversation yesterday. The US just announced their expanded roster. What are your thoughts? With these late additions to the US roster would your opinion on the significance of our first win over the US change? - T.K.

Altidore among seven added to U.S. squad

Forward Jozy Altidore scored to spark the USA past Spain in the Confederations Cup semifinals
    Photo by Mexsport

SEATTLE – Jozy Altidore, whose first-half goal helped spark the United States past Spain in the semifinals of the Confederations Cup, was among seven players added to the U.S. roster for the CONCACAF Gold Cup on Thursday.

Coach Bob Bradley augmented his roster two days after CONCACAF announced a provision that allows any team competing in the Confederations Cup and the CONCACAF Gold Cup in the same year to expand its Gold Cup roster from 23 to 30 players.

The United States played two World Cup qualifiers in four days to start June, then traveled to the Confederations Cup in South Africa where it played five more games including the title match against Brazil, losing 3-2 on Sunday in its first FIFA tournament final.

“Due to our involvement in the Confederations Cup, CONCACAF decided to expand our eligible pool of players for the Gold Cup,” Bradley said. “At times during the tournament, we may integrate these seven players with our core roster that was announced last week.”

Altidore was joined by Confederations Cup teammates and fellow forward Conor Casey, midfielders Ricardo Clark, Benny Feilhaber and Sacha Kljestan, defender Jonathan Bornstein and goalkeeper Brad Guzan.

They will all be available for selection, but the U.S. will not have all seven players present for each Gold Cup match. The exact schedule for these players will be announced as it becomes available.

They join four other players: Freddy Adu, Charlie Davies, Heath Pearce and Luis Robles, who already were carried over from the Confederations Cup.

All teams still will be limited to 18 players for any one match.

The U.S. is seeking to join Mexico as the only teams to win three consecutive Gold Cup titles. The team began gathering in Seattle on Tuesday and will open group play against Grenada on July 4 at Qwest Field, the second game of a doubleheader following Honduras vs. Haiti.
    No need to thank me forumites.

Where is the "soft" teams certain people a talk bout?
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
      Soft teams? Wasn't aware anyone referred to any of the teams as soft teams? What? Yuh mekking up stuff now bredren? Its amusing, when there is nothing to play for, people brag how we can beat Spain etc, now a competition is about to start, a competition is which we have a strong team and many of the favourites didn't take their best team, unuh a back off and a lower the bar to just reaching the next round? Y'all mek me laugh.
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Who mekkin up stuff now? if not Lazie? Just who have backed off and are lowering the bar?
        Peter R

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
          Not sure about soft but it is a fact that the US even with the new additions, Mexico, Costa Rica, and Canada have all brought under-strengthed squads to the tournament. - T.K.

Comment

Originally posted by T.K. View Post
            Not sure about soft but it is a fact that the US even with the new additions, Mexico, Costa Rica, and Canada have all brought under-strengthed squads to the tournament. - T.K.
            Sorry I take that back about Costa Rica. Brain freeze. - T.K.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter R View Post
              Who mekkin up stuff now? if not Lazie? Just who have backed off and are lowering the bar?
              yuh ever fling stone in a pig pen? Oh wait ... you're one who listed reaching the next round as some achievement. Even though some teams aren't full strength anything less than the trophy is a failure for them. Why should it be any different for us?
              "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

That is a stronger team, but a defense that has no Onyewu, Bocanegra or even Demerit, is one that our strikers should be able to exploit. With no Landon or Dempsey the midfield is not nearly as much of a threat going forward, although it may be very dangerous if Sacha decides to find his game. If we play against them, it would be very interesting to see Austin and Clark battling in a midfield. Those are two very active players.

Comment

Working...
                X