• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They are out!!

They are out!
    Boyz fail to progress in Gold Cup
    IAN BURNETT, @ THE CONCACAF GOLD CUP in the USA
    Monday, July 13, 2009
    MIAMI, USA - Jamaica's national senior football team will be heading home today after being sent packing from the 2009 CONCACAF Gold Cup tournament here last evening.

El Salvador's Alexander Escobar (right) falls to the ground as Jamaica's Ricardo Fuller (10) moves down during their CONCACAF Gold Cup football match in Miami on Friday night. Jamaica won 1-0, but the victory was not enough to see them advance to the quarter-finals. (Photo: AP)
    The Reggae Boyz's hopes were dashed from early when Panama humbled Central American neighbours Nicaragua 4-0 to claim third place in Group C on four points, thus edging Jamaica out of being one of the two best third-placed teams.

The other third-placed berth was taken by Caribbean neighbours Haiti on Saturday night.

Assistant head coach Bradley Stewart and team captain Ricardo Gardner, while expressing regret at the team's elimination, pointed to the side's lack of 'killer instinct' in front of goal as the main reason for their early departure.

"Yes it is," said Stewart in explaining the disappointment of his team's exit. "Particularly because of the quality of the players we have on tour.
    We certainly had an expectation that the previous games we would have had positive results out of them and it wouldn't have got to this stage where we are dependent on the results of other teams, because certainly we believe that the Jamaica team is right up there with the best in the region," he added.

Coincidentally, the Boyz were at a training session yesterday when news filtered through that they had been eliminated, and Gardner said that all heads dropped with disappointment.

"The spirit went down. We were waiting on that result and hearing the news coming from outside it was really disappointing. It wasn't the result that we really wanted, but we had it in our hands and we had to depend on others in the end, so it's not really good from that standpoint, for me," he said.

Jamaica lost their first two encounters 0-1 against Canada and Costa Rica, despite playing better and creating clearer scoring opportunities, before edging El Salvador 1-0 in their last game, even while playing below par in that game.

In the end, missed chances came back to haunt the team.

"Finishing, finishing, meaning creating opportunities and not scoring on a high percentage of those opportunities created during this tournament," bemoaned Stewart yesterday. "The first game against Canada we had like 10, 12 opportunities. Canada had two or three opportunities... the kid that scored had one shot on goal," Stewart added.

While the team had difficulties on the pitch converting goalscoring chances, it also had its fair share of off-the-field problems as well, but Stewart believed it had little impact on the pitch.

"I don't know that players at this level take off-the-field incidents onto the pitch. I would rather look at a player's performance over a period of time than judge him on the basis of one match. I think that is what the coach has done...," said Stewart.

He noted, that going forward, the Jamaica Football Federation should look to expose "fresh blood" into whatever games are organised, in an effort to prepare for the next World Cup qualifiers.

Gardner also thought that the off-the-field incidents had no impact on the players' performances on the pitch. "I wouldn't say that affected the team spirit, really, because we got the opportunities in the games and the spirit was right on the pitch. What the player (Damion Stewart) and the coach had in the end is something between them," he noted.

However, Gardner, the Bolton Wanderers veteran, conceded that the team did not have enough time to prepare, though he believed that head coach Theodore Whitmore did "as great a job as he could in the little bit of time that he had us together".

He also rued the absence of veteran defender Ian 'Pepe' Goodison, even while admitting there were still enough quality players to have got the job done adequately.

"I think it affected the team a lot, but I think we had players here, as well, who could go out there and do the job," said Gardner.

Canada won Group A from Costa Rica, Jamaica and El Salvador, while the US won Group B ahead of Honduras, Haiti and Grenada, and Mexico topped Group C ahead of Guadeloupe, Panama and Nicaragua.

The quarter-finals will be played at Dallas and Philiadelphia on Saturday and Sunday, with the semis in Chicago on July 23 and the final in New Jersey three days later.
    Last edited by Karl; July 13, 2009, 04:51 AM.

Originally posted by Dunny View Post
    He noted, that going forward, the Jamaica Football Federation should look to expose "fresh blood" into whatever games are organised, in an effort to prepare for the next World Cup qualifiers
    that sounds like a plan... i believe that was what simoes was doing and we all (myself included) 'beat up' on him for costing us the wc qualifiers...

which brings me to offer a profound apology to a former jamaica football representative (nah call nuh name), who told me before the tournament started that were not going to advance because of the lack of discipline in the squad...

his reasoning was we should have continued with the youths simoes was using because they were the future... they took the program and training seriously, was disciplined in their approach (they wanted a buss), followed orders and play according to the coach script...

his argument was a response to me saying that simoes cost us the qualifiers by using a bunch of inexperienced players...
    'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

B the problem was Simoes was one year too late. He needed just a little bit more time with the youths. He saw the indiscipline and selfishness and he told us in his famous letter.

We have to be a team before we can be anything. the thing that Fuller and Shelton nah talk, The defense not listening to Granny Marshall and the goalie and the constant lack of concentration by our players clubbing even when they are suppose to be thinking about game is not going to work.

Before the tournament I said my concern was the discipline. It may not look like nothing to some people but most of the games we play at all level for the past two years we end up with 10 players. you can't win at this high level with 10 men on the field and giving away free kicks in and around your 18 yard box.

Our team was poor at things teams do togather and this includes corners and free kicks.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

if simoes was one year too late then that would make him or tappa 4 years early for the next world cup... i am now of the belief that we should move forward with the youths that simoes was using and some other fresh talents...

i want to see ryan johnson and omar cummings as regulars in our squad... i want a creative midfielder... i don't want bibi being that player... his is clearly not that player... he can be in the midfield on the outside left...

i am concerned about claude's attitude... well, i expect that we've seen the last of stew peas... i just want to see some new hungry talent who respects the team...

if whitmore wants to keep his job, he will have to lay down the hammer and only use players that are respectful and committed...
        'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

I support you 1000%. the fact is once Simoes left you could feel the hating of the players he picked. I would lke to see Ryan, Omar Cummings and a fit Obrien White getting a chance. We need to start grooming Andre Derby. The truth is many on here cuss Jermaine Taylor but he has better tatical awareness than most of our current defenders.

The players Simoes was grooming needed a bit more time and we would have seen what he was doing. The talent level may not have been there but the discipline was as you stated.

We need someone to come in and design a program to all our players so even when they are away they know the system and new players can adjust to it. For now there is no system and it is not very good for new players coming in as the senior players are our biggest let down with the lack of discipline on and off the field
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
          X