This youth gonna go places-Tappa take heed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This youth gonna go places-Tappa take heed

ZAVON HINES wants to make a name for himself at West Ham.

The 20-year-old striker found his feet on the Hammers' pre-season Far East tour and scored in the 2-0 win over hosts Beijing Guoan in the Asia Trophy.
    The Academy youngster hit five goals in six games in pre-season last year before a knee injury scuppered his early season.
    But having had the chance to prepare with the senior players in China, Hines hopes he has shown manager Gianfranco Zola exactly what he can do.
    He said: "It has been a good tournament to play in.
    "It is good to play football in a completely different atmosphere and I am sure the fitness will show now we are back.
    "The conditions were hard but you just have to work harder to get through it all.
    "Last year, I had a good pre-season and then got the injury, but hopefully I can carry on this year and get through the season with no injuries and be involved as much as I can with the first team.
    "I want to show the manager what I can do."
    Hines rounded off the scoring after defender Danny Gabbidon had grabbed West Ham's 80th-minute opening goal.
    A disappointing 1-0 defeat by Tottenham in their opening game meant West Ham finished third in the four-team tournament.
    But Hines believes it was a positive experience. He added: "The trips have been good for team bonding.
    "Everyone can spend time together as a squad. We got to know anyone new and just spent the time as a team on and off the pitch.
    "It has been good to be around each other.
    "The older and more senior boys really looked after us well, making sure we were all happy.
    "We get a bit of banter from them now and then, if you are not doing well in training, they will tell you. But it was really good to be there."
    Now with the real business about to start, Hines has only one thing on his mind, scoring more goals and clinching a first-team place.
    He admitted: "My aim is at to be on the bench for the first team from the start if I can, but just to do my best in any game I play for West Ham United and go upwards from there."

A long time this youth de pon mi radar.

Comment

Hines show leaves Zola full of beans

West Ham United, 11:25, September 21, 2009
      Gianfranco Zola has admitted striker Zavon Hines is 'establishing himself' in the West Ham side after his display against Liverpool.
      The Hammers boss was encouraged by his side's performance on Saturday evening, despite losing out in a five-goal thriller against Rafa Benitez's Reds.

And Zola felt Academy product Hines should provide a target for the club's other youngsters to aspire to as he was singled out for special praise following an eye-catching performance.

"Zavon has done very well in the last week but today was even better against a difficult team," said Zola. "The boy is taking his chances very well. He helped the team defensively and he is establishing himself, which is down to his work and attitude.

"You need to have players like him. I am hoping a few others will do the same in the next few weeks. He is playing with a brave attitude and making an impact."

On the game itself in which new signing Alessandro Diamanti scored from the penalty spot and Carlton Cole found the net just before half-time, Zola added: "We were unfortunate not to pick up any points. But we will get better and it won't be long

Comment

hopefully zola is a more accomodating manager.....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
        X