Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Put up or shut up at Anfield?

Put up or shut up at Anfield?
    Less than a week until the new season starts and their remains questions to be asked at Anfield, LiverpudlIan writes... Written by This Is Anfield on August 10th, 2009 ▪ 5 Comments

Related Articles
    Benitez frustrated by lack of funds
    Next Up: Atletico Madrid (h)
    FC Lyn 0-2 Liverpool

Season 09/10 approaches and we all know it really is a case of win or bust this time round as far as the Premier League is concerned. Second place allied to our results against the other members of the big four has laid the platform but there really is nowhere left to go now in terms of integrity should our old habits of inconsistency lead to dropped points & see us again fail to become the best side in England. The old adage of Bill Shankly that “first is first and second is nowhere” has never been truer now that our record of eighteen league championships has been equalled.
    Thinking long and hard as to the theme of this article, I realised the sentiments in the title apply to every single one of us associated with the club, from the owners right down to the fans. All of us can play a role in creating exactly the climate and circumstances required to facilitate an end to this twenty year wait. For years there has been far too much talk off the pitch and not enough quality on it whilst United continued to chalk up success after success. There has got to be a single minded approach without distractions such as the court room revelations, boardroom squabbles and the subsequent media reporting.
    Our fabled owners have at least in the short term ridden out the financial storm and the pivotal July watershed of refinancing has now passed. Regardless of our perspective, these two now look to be in it for the long haul and we are being told that a cash injection of £60 million pounds of their own money was needed to satisfy the brokers. Add to that in excess of £40 million pounds to service the debt and indirectly or otherwise, over £100 million pounds has been spent just in retaining ownership. Little wonder, then, that talk of massive outlay in the transfer market has, so far at least, been wide of the mark. We are also hearing of attempts in America to reduce their assets there, clearly in an attempt in this current financial climate, to maximise their efforts on the best “franchise” in their portfolio. The world wide brand that is Liverpool Football Club still has so much untapped potential but it seems now there is very little chance of these two being made an offer that they cannot refuse amidst the notion that even oil rich billionaires have different perspectives now.
    So with re-finance in place, there has been no mention of building the stadium and the irony of announcing Anfield as a potential venue still holding 45,000 for the Rugby World Cup in 2013 was not lost on me. The significance is of course that, if we are not “putting a spade in the ground” right now then a substantial investment in the transfer market would be the perfect springboard to take that last step up and usurp United as champions. The most vociferous within Old Trafford would have you believe that they are not weakened by the transfers this summer but conventional football wisdom dictates that you continually need to improve to stay at the top and it is hard to accept that policy has been adopted at the “theatre.”
    Most of us still seem to agree then that our significant signing in the summer has to be the addition of a world class forward to both support Fernando in attack and adequately replace him when he is not playing. Unfortunately and despite all that speculation, with the big kick off looming it seems the finances are just not there, especially in the current inflated market, for the acquisition of the likes of Sergio Aguero or David Villa after all. Regrettably the pre-season displays have done nothing to convince me (for the second successive year) that David NGog, Ryan Babel, Andrei Voronin or Kristzian Nemeth can adequately fill the Spaniards boots if the calamitous happens and he has another injury interrupted season. We were told that there was money outstanding from Portsmouth from the Peter Crouch transfer and from the return of Robbie Keane to Spurs. We have also sold a few fringe players like Sebastien Leto and with the money we got for Alvaro, my maths tells me that the purchase of Glen Johnson should have easily been covered from these deals. I am hoping then, that a surprise deal is in the offing otherwise I fear that a golden opportunity will have been lost to steal a march on our rivals. OK, so City and Real Madrid have put, to say the least, an unrealistic slant in terms of transfer values but there is no doubt that United and Arsenal look weaker for their outgoings while Chelsea have done little to bring down the average age of their side. If ever our owners needed to speculate to accumulate it is now with the cash for a spectacular transfer to inject the momentum into a pre –season that has basically lacked any sort of impetus.
    Indeed, the only small grain of comfort to be gleaned from the protracted Xabi Alonso transfer is that the potential revenue may allow Rafa to bring in a forward as well as the incoming Alberto Aquilani. Clearly Xabi looked like he wanted to go all along but his timing was awful in coinciding with potentially our most important season in twenty years. At times such as this when contradictory statements come thick and fast, a simple one liner from the player is usually enough to both clear the air and the situation. Xabi’s comment then regarding the situation being sorted “for better or worse” said it all & did little to ingratiate himself, given that it looks like we had, sadly, become the latter option.
    As they say though, life goes on and for the second successive summer we were involved in a protracted transfer saga but at least there was a solution this time round, albeit not to our liking. The position with Javier, conversely, looks more promising now with Barcelona appearing to have blown their entire transfer budget on the enigma that is Zlatan Ibrahimovic. Quite how he is worth that much more than Eto’o in this swap deal is beyond me but if it keeps the little Argentine on Merseyside, despite his wife’s misgivings, then so be it. All along though, I just got the gut feeling that this was merely the agent posturing for a wage rise for his player but the last thing we needed was another unsettled player’s “alleged” comments in the press at the same time as Xabi’s saga was rumbling on.
    So yet again then, it would be nice if the players, i.e. the ones who are staying, are wary of what they say to the media. The “this is our year” comments, regularly attributed to Stevie and Carra, for example, do us no favours at all when it is thrown back at us so, this time around, can we be cautious with what we say (and in some cases, what we do) and let someone else give the papers their headlines? The Liverpool way was always to just keep your head down, get on with it and do your talking at the end of the season with the trophies in the cabinet. You never saw Emlyn, Graeme or Jockey saying what we were going to do, they just did their talking on the pitch.
    Having successfully overseen the power struggle that saw so many changes behind the scenes, our manager’s head is now firmly on the block if things do not go well. Yes, he now has a hand picked backroom team behind him but it is all about results nowadays and in cutting out the people that he saw as an obstacle to the way he wants to run the club, that double edge sword has now put enormous pressure on himself. Ultimately though, it may be that the appointment of Kenny proves to be a master stroke though perhaps in a manner outside of what was envisaged in his job description. Because Rafa holds him in such esteem, I believe he will see him as someone who similarly has the club totally at heart and can be trusted implicitly. Consequently then, a few well chosen words of wisdom from behind the scenes from one Scotsman who is a legend at his club may avoid some of the mind games “bollocks” with one at another. For despite all of his qualities, Rafa’s propensity to get involved in slanging matches, is in my view, unnecessary and again, not the Liverpool way. He is a brilliant tactician - arguably the best in world, but I just wish at times he would get on with the job of proving he is a brilliant manager too.
    In welcoming back Kenny, his new backroom staff, without doubt, certainly need to “put up” this year and at the very least, begin the process of alleviating the horrendous log jam of young talent which is apparently stagnating at reserve and youth level. Having watched the kids regularly on LFCTV I remain staggered at how many professionals we actually have on the books and bemused at exactly what club policy is for planning & progression into the first team. Gerard Houllier famously fell out with Stevie Heighway regarding exactly this subject and here we are, some six years later and it seems nothing much has changed. The night of the long knives saw practically every member of the staff replaced and this is allegedly one of the areas of discontent over which our manager fundamentally disagreed with Rick Parry, causing the furore at boardroom level last year. History will show that Rafa was triumphant in that internal power struggle but having come out it relatively unscathed, like a politician who has won a second term of office, he now has to convince the public that he has the personnel and policies to take on the world.
    Those of us who are old enough to remember the days when we paraded that cherished trophy around Anfield with seemingly monotonous regularity cannot believe that, in the last two decades, we have rarely even come close to number nineteen. Those recollections of our halcyon days continue to dim with time and are now consigned to another era and apart from Istanbul, we seem constantly to be living in the past. The level of support shown in our far eastern tour, then, was quite incredible, especially considering the actual silverware count won in the lifetime of most of those thronging shopping centres, river banks and stadiums. Following a team in the twenty first century is light years from the terrace culture of the 1980’s and although we now assume the wherewithal befitting, arguably, the second most popular club on the planet, in my view there is an imbalance between popularity and success. It is an anomaly that must now start to be addressed.
    Satellite & media coverage continue to promote & hype the premiership to an extent that it has become a magnet to those who love to be associated with the glamour and money currently enjoyed in the English game and teams like ourselves in particular. The influx of foreign managerial and playing personnel has been another influence in our popularity but I have never subscribed to this myth, perpetrated by our friends across the park, that the “peoples club” somehow has more local fans. A walk down any street at any time and a quick sample poll of replica shirts tells it own tale.
    So we‘ve all had our say and after so many false dawns and missing pieces of jigsaws, we start another year optimistic, excited and supportive of the team both on & off the pitch - that of course is a given. But as the season unfolds, regardless of our form, would it be possible, just for once, to ask that we keep the lid on the tone of predictions, criticism and comments sent in to the many radio phone ins, teletext and websites and by doing so avoid possible distractions and simply let the team get on with it?
    Liverpudlian

Written by This Is Anfield
    Contact and read more articles by This Is Anfield

Add a Comment: (5 so far)</B>
    Registration is separate from the forums and Kopblog. Your first comment will require approval. Please use good English and punctuate your comments. No 'txt tlk'! Get your own gravatar here!

You must be logged in to post a comment. Click here to register.
    scottishscouser
    Posted on August 10, 2009 @ 6:44 pm
    What is worrying me the most is the emergence of the ‘brat’ fan at Anfield. Booing and constant sniping at our own players. Don’t get me wrong the odd rocket up a player from fans is sometimes needed but some of the comments thrown from the stands at Lucas, Babel and Voronin had me embarressed as did the chants at the Derby aimed at tyhe BS,(incidently, no player has impressed me in pre-season not just the ones you mention).
    Also as a season ticket holder in my early 40s I can’t remember the team being booed after going top of the league following a nil-nil draw. Some of the younger fans should be taught that not every game in the 70s and 80s was a ‘classic,’ there were many dismal performances during title winning campaigns.
    I guess what I want this season is more support for the team when things are not going our way. Let’s cut out the ‘Rafa out’ rants after every draw or nil-nil drudgery, of which no doubt there will be a few (there always are for all sides).
    Let’s hope ‘Mr’ Ferguson has an audience of one for his ramblings and Rafa resists temptation. Let’s get back to the Liverpool way, and that includes us the fans!
    Boo Radley
    Posted on August 10, 2009 @ 8:16 pm
    Many fans are disappointed with our summer’s transfers. Especially the fact Michael Owen wasn’t taken on a free transfer when he was an ideal sub striker - which is all he’ll be at Manure. How on earth we can sign Veronin and Degen on free transfers and not Owen is very frustrating.
    Rafa always seems to take one foot forward and another backwards through his own wrong decisions in the market. Would it not have inspired the team and fans a lot more to sign Owen on a free and a quality winger instead of blowing 17m on a right back? Glen Johnson is a good player but Arbeloa was solid last season and could have been kept for his final year on his contract. Up front, not right back, was where we needed new QUALITY ideas. Aquilani is another who is an extremely risky purchase. He’s a good player but his injury record and Italian players weak record in England make it a dangerous buy. Who else in Europe was lining up to pay Roma a huge £18m for this guy with his injury record?
    We haven’t won anything for 3 seasons and our squad lacks depth. If we match 86 points I would say well done to Rafa because it would be a good achievement considering Aquilani is out for the start and Alonso is gone.
    mike ormsby
    Posted on August 10, 2009 @ 9:34 pm
    Good piece, well written, well-argued, well here we go…
    mike ormsby
    Posted on August 10, 2009 @ 9:39 pm
    PS. Disappointed to see Adam Hammill get the push… signed as a 7-year old, 14 years with the club … and better than some of those we see on http://www.lfc.tv?
    Sam Wanjere
    Posted on August 11, 2009 @ 7:25 am
    Though unhappy overall about Alonso’s sale, and the player’s behaviour, I still think it was good that Rafa’s legendary stubbornness gave us some much-needed funds at Anfield. That said, it wouldn’t have done us any harm to keep both Arbeloa and Alonso for one more push for #19. It’s in the past now, and no one will ever be bigger than LFC – thank God!
    One thing I strongly agree with is the role of non-players in the success of the club. Fans are an integral part and there are times when those at Anfield don’t cheer on the team, only emerging when we’re in the ascendancy. It’s not only about the skill of those in the field, but all the support they (and the coach) can get.
    As a club and I believe the Liverpool Way amounted to this, we’re one. We rise and fall together as a unit. Is this our year? Every year tends to be just that. We live in hope and optimism keeps us going - heck, its only hope that didn’t escape from Pandora’s box!
    I tend to doubt if our players truly mouth some of the things carried in media. There’s room for caution though. You can’t be foolish in speaking when there are so many anti-all things Kop media outlets lurking in the shadows. I want to urge all of us to play our part in supporting a superb tactician, lover of the Kop, and his fabulous team. The team’s not infallible, but we must remember that it’s not always sunny, and neither does it have to be.
    While blaming the prevailing economic climate, in truth Messrs G & H are fully to blame for our current impasse. Where are the promised funds to keep challenging for the title? Where is our new stadium or at least physical signs of the same? Why on earth have they refused to sell LFC to the likes of DIC, investors with the long-term future of this great institution in their minds?
    Our club tends to be like the Greek myth on Sisyphus. We keep rolling our stone uphill but it always comes unstuck and rolls back down for us to start again. We shouldn’t have been selling – not Alonso, not Arbeloa, not even homegrown kids like Hamill. But where we are right now is no different from where many teams (outside the present moneyed soccer royalty) are. Are we now going to be a feeder club in order to survive?
    In the light of all current temptation to be pessimistic, it is also wise to remember that in terms of his quality, we cannot afford to pay Senor Benitez for what he’s done. Here’s a clubber who’d have fitted right in Shankly’s Boot Room in terms of understanding the club’s history, respect for its achievements, identification with the city – this despite being a foreigner; etc. In terms of money only we couldn’t have afforded the likes of Torres, Kuyt, Benayoun or even the departed Alonso.
    We DO have something worth playing for and believing in. The question is are we willing to do what it takes to stand together, knowing that it squarely means risking falling together?
    Is this our year? It always is. We’re Liverpool. We believe, we’ve been written off countless times in our past, but we remain steadfast Scousers. We’re the Reds, and no one ever will be.
    Let’s not allow our team to walk alone. Neither should we ever. Good day to all.
    </SPAN>
    </SPAN> (26 votes, average: 4.42 out of 5)

Loading ...
    Email This ArticlePrint This Articleaddthis_pub = 'thisisanfield'; Related Articles
    Benitez frustrated by lack of funds
    Next Up: Atletico Madrid (h)
    FC Lyn 0-2 Liverpool</SPAN>Tags: gillett
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Can we be cautious with what we say (and in some cases, what we do) and let someone else give the papers their headlines? The Liverpool way was always to just keep your head down, get on with it and do your talking at the end of the season with the trophies in the cabinet.

This was the reason we lost last year. Rafa blundered when he took aim at Slurgueson before the manure clash with chelski in January. He should have kept his mouth shut. Hopefully, he will have learned his lesson, but I doubt it.
    "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

OOOOH come on , Fergie opened his mouth Rafa answered and we lost .Fergie needs to be answered , Mourinho whined about Man U special treatment , so did Arse when they were on top.

Fergie will never shut up as it pertains to all things pool.Rafa will give him oral diarrhea this season.

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Originally posted by X View Post
        OOOOH come on , Fergie opened his mouth Rafa answered and we lost .Fergie needs to be answered , Mourinho whined about Man U special treatment , so did Arse when they were on top.

Fergie will never shut up as it pertains to all things pool.Rafa will give him oral diarrhea this season.
        You are right about Slurgueson...but Rafa (nor the players) shouldn't say anything...we need to do our talking on the field and done.
        "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

True !

Comment

fergie can talk...him have di tikles fi back it up....him talk ...... rafa get distrack...it done!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Gamma , I will take great pride in dussing you out , I mean arsenal.

Comment

OR......? overlook the alternative at your peril!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

btw yuh joing jangle fantasy league?

Comment

Time wont permit me.

Comment

How will the Premier League unfold?

Post categories: Football, Premier League
                      Phil McNulty | 07:30 UK time, Tuesday, 11 August 2009

Chelsea and Manchester United set the tone for the battle at the top of the Premier League in a Community Shield encounter liberally sprinkled with spice and confrontation.
                      The traditional quartet will jostle at the sharp end of the table - but can anyone break up the cartel of the so-called "Big Four"?
                      Can Liverpool end a 20-year wait to bring the title back to Anfield? Who will emerge from the pack? Who will consolidate? Who will be condemned to a season fighting for survival? It will all unfold once the top-flight campaign commences next Saturday.
                      Time to polish off the crystal ball and study the prospects of those hoping to make an impact in the Premier League in 2009/2010.

ARSENAL
                      Arsene Wenger heard the first strains of discontent from the previously unquestioning Arsenal support last season after four years without a trophy. Is potential now simply a cover for under-achievement at the Emirates?
                      For all that, there is still no-one better to guide Arsenal's fortunes - although a meaningful title pursuit and at least one piece of silverware is required.
                      Wenger has done superb business to take the best part of £40m off Manchester City for Emmanuel Adebayor and Kolo Toure, although £10m recruit from Ajax Thomas Vermaelen will be expected to toughen up a defence regarded as having a soft centre.
                      Andriy Arshavin's genius was underscored last season, while Robin van Persie is a glorious talent when fit. Big season for Theo Walcott - with the incentive of a World Cup at its conclusion.
                      If Wenger can add a midfield enforcer (surely the return of Patrick Vieira came from the realms of romance rather than realism) then Arsenal may last the pace better than last season.
                      Will be attractive and dangerous - but the cups remains their best bet. Not title winners.
                      Verdict: Fourth.
                      ASTON VILLA
                      Big season for Villa and boss Martin O'Neill. Sixth place was not exactly a disappointment last time out, but they faded spectacularly late in the season and made no serious impact in the cups, the tame Uefa Cup exit causing particular consternation.
                      O'Neill has stuck to his tried and trusted policy of investing mainly in English talent, with Stewart Downing arriving from Middlesbrough as the highly-experienced and influential Gareth Barry moves to Manchester City.
                      Fabian Delph comes from Leeds United with rave reviews but no Premier League pedigree - so he is one for the future as opposed to one to make immediate impact.
                      Expect the usual O'Neill template of pace, power and width, with Ashley Young the jewel in Villa's crown. O'Neill will also surely have addressed the reasons why Villa fell off the cliff after threatening the Champions League places.
                      Dangerous on their day, especially away from home, but I expect more of the same in terms of league placings with more emphasis on success in the cups.
                      Verdict: Top Six.
                      BIRMINGHAM CITY
                      Birmingham City were functional as opposed to spectacular in winning promotion last season, but that will matter not one jot to their experienced manager Alex McLeish. The means justified the end.
                      Now the real battle begins and Birmingham have been busy working the markets. Joe Hart is a sound signing on loan from Manchester City in goal, but Barry Ferguson never cut it in the Premier League with Blackburn Rovers in his prime, so it takes a leap of faith to imagine he will do it now - although it is one McLeish is happy to take for a player he knows well.
                      James McFadden has top-flight experience in attack, but the real wild card is club record signing Christian Benitez, who arrived from Mexican side Santos Laguna for a fee that could rise to £9m. Unknown quantity and much will depend on how he adapts, especially with a chequered injury history.
                      Roger Johnson, a £5m buy from Cardiff, was a good performer in the Championship and he is another whose development in the Premier League is key to Birmingham's hopes. May just have enough to stay up.
                      VERDICT: Season of struggle.
                      BLACKBURN ROVERS
                      Sam Allardyce negotiated a route to Premier League survival for Blackburn last season, and expect them to nestle comfortably in and around mid-table this time, despite the loss of Roque Santa Cruz to Blackburn.
                      Allardyce's tactical approach may be an acquired taste for some - it was certainly not acquired in Newcastle - but he fashioned a system to suit Blackburn. El-Hadji Diouf, Benni McCarthy and Jason Roberts should give them a threat up front, while Ryan Nelsen and Christopher Samba will operate within the no-frills defensive framework Allardyce demands.
                      VERDICT: Mid-table comfort.
                      BOLTON WANDERERS
                      Gary Megson fights a permanent - and mostly losing - battle for the affection of Bolton fans, but he kept them up last season and will have high hopes of repeating the feat.
                      Sean Davis will provide experience in central midfield, while keeping hold of the coveted Gary Cahill is a coup for Megson. He will now have assistance from new boy Zat Knight.
                      Kevin Davies will be his usual physical self up front, and it is highly unlikely many Bolton games will have the purists purring, but the thick-skinned and combative Megson will be supremely disinterested in that small matter.
                      Whether Bolton fans like him or not, I expect Megson to retain their Premier League status once more.
                      VERDICT: Tough but survivors.
                      BURNLEY
                      Fantastic story and the return of one of football's great old clubs will add real romance to the Premier League - but how will they fare?
                      In Owen Coyle Burnley have one of the best young managers in the game and it is a tribute to both him and everyone at the club that Celtic's attentions were deflected as Turf Moor basked in the after-glow of promotion.
                      Coyle is a disciple of the passing game, but realism suggests he will tailor this style for the top flight and bank on Steven Fletcher, a £3m buy from Hibs, to bring goals south of the border.
                      Wade Elliott is already being tipped as a Premier League star of the future, while all men of a certain age will keep an eye on how 37-year-old Graham Alexander copes with the Premier League.
                      Expect some great occasions at Turf Moor this season - and nothing more than a gut feeling tells me tee-totaller Coyle may just celebrate survival.
                      VERDICT: Staying up but only just.
                      CHELSEA
                      Carlo Ancelotti is the latest manager through Stamford Bridge's revolving door and needs to make a fast start as the legacy of Guus Hiddink's masterly spell in charge remains fresh in the memories.
                      If Chelsea's players respond to Ancelotti's urgings and the big players - John Terry, Frank Lampard, Didier Drogba and Michael Essien - stay fit, then they will be serious contenders for every competition.
                      Chelsea's attempts at big-spending have been thwarted by Real Madrid, but Yuri Zhirkov is a gifted left-sided player and Daniel Sturridge was a real talent in the making at Manchester City.
                      Miserly in defence, versatile in midfield and powerful in attack, Chelsea also possess the concrete-clad mental strength needed to last the whole course.
                      If Ancelotti makes the transition from Serie A and AC Milan to the Premier League, Chelsea will be the team to finish above to win the title.
                      VERDICT: Second.
                      EVERTON
                      The FA Cup final and fifth place in the Premier League was a superb return for an Everton squad ravaged by serious injuries down the spine of the team - Phil Jagielka, Mikel Arteta and Yakubu - and built without the aid of a huge budget.
                      The motivational and organisational skills of manager David Moyes and the resilience of his squad must not be under-estimated, but financial circumstances make it almost impossible to forecast a similar league finish this term.
                      Chairman Bill Kenwright has been unable to bring major investment to Everton, while close rivals Villa, Spurs and particularly Manchester City have splashed out. It leaves Moyes to perform a trick which gets more difficult with every passing season.
                      Everton's determination to keep Joleon Lescott away from Manchester City shows they still have ambition, but without the money to fuel that ambition it is hard to see another fifth place this season.
                      VERDICT: Top Ten.
                      FULHAM
                      Roy Hodgson used all his years of expertise to take Fulham to seventh and a place in the Europa League last season - a superb effort and one that made him a candidate for Manager of the Year.
                      Hodgson built an attractive side on sound defensive principles and they are especially formidable at home. He will hope to keep central defender Brede Hangeland beyond August, while Danny Murphy's experience and tactical awareness keeps things ticking over in midfield.
                      With Hodgson in charge Fulham can expect more of the same this season.
                      VERDICT: Mid-table security.
                      HULL CITY
                      Phil Brown's feat in keeping Hull City in the Premier League last season should have been heralded as a miracle - but some of the lustre of the achievement was lost because of an astonishing collapse that brought only one win in their last 21 league games.
                      Brown was heavily criticised for his infamous half-time team talk on the turf at Manchester City, and even his celebratory survival sing-song at the KC when Hull lost to Manchester United but stayed up was used as a stick to beat him.
                      It will be even tougher this time (surely there cannot be another miracle start?) and Brown has had trouble tempting his top transfer targets to Hull City, with Michael Owen, Habib Beye, Bobby Zamora and Fraizer Campbell all going elsewhere.
                      Defender Michael Turner is admired by many top clubs, so it will be an even bigger test of Brown's managerial abilities this time around. He may at least be able to call on £5m signing Jimmy Bullard at some point this season as he recovers from another serious knee injury.
                      Great support that graced the Premier League last season, but a very long road ahead, I fear.
                      VERDICT: Relegation.

LIVERPOOL
                      Hopes have never been higher that the title will be reclaimed after a 20-year barren spell - but was last season the great missed opportunity or the primer for the Premier League crown?
                      Liverpool lost only two league games last season and still finished second. It was too many home draws that did for them and they cannot afford a similar failing this season.
                      Glen Johnson is a sound, if expensive, recruit at right-back, but it is in question whether the gifted but fragile Alberto Aquilani can make Liverpool's midfield tick over in the manner of Xabi Alonso, now a part of the Real Madrid re-fit.
                      Liverpool's title hopes rest on manager Rafael Benitez refusing to become distracted by Manchester United, as he did so pointlessly last season, and on the well-being of Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres.
                      If this world-class pair stay fit and play in the manner that propelled Liverpool so beautifully through the last three months of last season, then all the optimism and expectation is justified, despite a stuttering pre-season.
                      VERDICT: Champions.
                      MANCHESTER CITY
                      The great unpredictables - even when they are backed by the biggest transfer fund in British football. Such finance brings pressure and Manchester City and manager Mark Hughes need to make a fast start.
                      Make no mistake, they are a better squad than last season but they will be judged on how swiftly Hughes marshalls those new recruits.
                      Gareth Barry is an excellent common sense signing, while Carlos Tevez will provide attacking verve and industry. Kolo Toule is a steady performer, but question marks remain over the expensive Roque Santa Cruz (fitness) and Emmanuel Adebayor (consistency.)
                      Stephen Ireland is as influential as any of the big-money buys - an outstanding midfielder - and do not expect Craig Bellamy to accept his time is up as he fights for a place with Robinho, Tevez, Santa Cruz and Adebayor.
                      The big worry is central defence, which is why Everton's Joleon Lescott was pursued with such vigour. How Hughes strengthens in that area will be crucial - but still an unknown quantity.
                      VERDICT: Europa League places and cup contenders
                      MANCHESTER UNITED
                      Old Trafford is now a Cristiano Ronaldo-free zone - but where there is Wayne Rooney there is hope and Sir Alex Ferguson will have a glint in his eye as sets his sights on a fourth successive Premier League and passing Liverpool's record of 18 titles.
                      Ferguson must find a way of compensating for Ronaldo's departure, but not many predicted signing Michael Owen from Newcastle United would be part of his solution.
                      This could yet prove a master-stroke and he will provide competition for Rooney and Dimitar Berbatov, while Antonio Valencia has already shown his promise in pre-season.
                      Rooney carries so many of United's hopes on all fronts this season, but he has the ability and confidence to cope.
                      But how will the elder statesman Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes fit in? Will Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic stay fit? Will Ben Foster finally succeed Edwin van der Sar in goal?
                      The biggest question of all is how the old master will shape his side without Ronaldo. How Ferguson does it will decide the destiny of their season.
                      It is the most hazardous of occupations to predict United will not win the title, but a quartet of Premier League triumphs may just be beyond them.
                      VERDICT: Third.
                      PORTSMOUTH
                      Not huge amounts of good news here. Glen Johnson and Peter Crouch gone, more departures possibly in the offing and all pre-season plans shrouded in the uncertainty of a protracted takeover.
                      Throw in the bad publicity of David Nugent and Marc Wilson being fined two weeks' wages after a "serious breach of club discipline" on a trip to Portugal and you get the idea. Optimism is in short supply.
                      The Harry Redknapp era, when players like Crouch and Jermain Defoe were arriving and the FA Cup was being paraded, seems an age away and the highly-respected Paul Hart faces a huge task to stop the slide.
                      Pompey simply have to hang on to keeper David James and the creative force of Croatia's Niko Kranjcar in midfield otherwise this season will be a long haul, probably into the Championship.
                      VERDICT: Relegation.
                      STOKE CITY
                      To visit the Britannia last season was to sample Premier League life in the raw - something that also applied to Stoke City's opponents. Noisy, atmospheric, exhilirating and the main reason Tony Pulis's side stayed in the division.
                      Stoke, backed by feverish fans, made it a harrowing afternoon for many Premier League sides, although there was more to them than Rory Delap's much-publicised long throws.
                      Pulis built a side in his own image and likeness. Hard-working, honest, uncompromising, and it was a winning formula for survival.
                      The Britannia may not be such a culture shock this season, but I still back Stoke and Pulis to have enough about them to maintain their Premier League staus.
                      VERDICT: Staying up again.
                      SUNDERLAND
                      Just survived last season, but a shrewd choice of manager in Steve Bruce and a big transfer budget that he will manipulate wisely means they can look forward to better times this season.
                      Bruce has excelled in the past in the transfer market, utilising contacts abroad while scouring for talent at home. He may be a Newcastle United fan, but Sunderland are in safe hands.
                      Darren Bent has been derided for his time at Spurs, but he scores goals and is a wise acquisition, while former Marseille captain Lorik Cana will add (and this is putting it politely) steel in midfield. Fraizer Campell is a promising talent, and if either he or Bent forms a partnership with Kenwyne Jones then Sunderland could be in business.
                      VERDICT: Top ten.

TOTTENHAM
                      Harry Redknapp's shrewd manouevres in the transfer market and the use of the forces he inherited meant good progress was made by Spurs last season - now there will be expectations that he will build on that platform.
                      No close season is complete without hectic transfer activity down the Lane, and the addition of Kyle Naughton to Spurs' array of right-backs is a shrewd move. He was widely regarded as the most promising young defender outside the Premier League when he was at Sheffield United.
                      Luka Modric will again be the brains of the operation while we can expect to see Peter Crouch and Jermain Defoe reunited once more in attack after their brief partnership at Portsmouth. But what of Robbie Keane? Surely the happy wanderer will not find himself surplus again?
                      Central defence is a worry, not because Spurs lack quality but because they lack good health. Ledley King, Jonathan Woodgate and Michael Dawson are all troubled by injuries, hence the outlay of £8m on Sebastien Bassong from Newcastle United.
                      Spurs have talent but will they have the consistency? If they do, expect further improvement.
                      VERDICT: Top six and potential cup winners.
                      WEST HAM UNITED
                      Gianfranco Zola made a promising start at West Ham last season - no surprise there given his pedigree, style and personal dignity.
                      He has footballing principles that appeal to the Upton Park psyche and with the astute Steve Clarke at his side, expect West Ham to settle comfortably towards the middle of the Premier League.
                      Nothing in the way of serious big-money signings in the new frugal era, but plenty of quality sprinkled around Zola's squad in the shape of keeper Robert Green, Scott Parker, Mark Noble, Jack Collison and others.
                      Young players have been secured on long-term contracts while all at West Ham will hope the outstanding Dean Ashton can finally rid himself of injury.
                      VERDICT: Middle of the road with cup ambitions.
                      WIGAN ATHLETIC
                      Steve Bruce's departure was a blow to Wigan, but chairman Dave Whelan has attracted someone regarded as one of the brightest and most imaginative managerial talents in the game in Roberto Martinez.
                      Martinez is unproven at Premier League level, but his Swansea City side won rave reviews for their cultured approach and it will be intriguing to see if the Spaniard can transport this to the top flight.
                      He suffered a grievous loss when Antonio Valencia went to Manchester United, but he has placed his trust in two of his Swansea City old boys in the shape of striker Jason Scotland and gifted midfield man Jordi Gomez.
                      James McCarthy was regarded as a major prospect in Scotland with Hamilton while Wigan fought off interest from old boss Bruce at Sunderland to sign Honduras midfield man Hendry Thomas.
                      Wigan will aim for survival again - and if Martinez achieves this he can regard it as a job well down.
                      VERDICT: Lower reaches but staying up.
                      WOLVERHAMPTON WANDERERS
                      Just like Burnley, another great old name returns to the Premier League and we should welcome them with open arms.
                      Mick McCarthy's wise leadership and experience will be a huge help this season - as will the passionate Molineux crowd, although there will be times when they have to stick by their side in adversity.
                      McCarthy will hope Kevin Doyle's £6.5m arrival from Reading as partner to the prolific Sylvain Ebanks-Blake will give Wolves the firepower to keep them up.
                      Andrew Surman's ability to make the leap from Southampton to the Premier League will also have an influence while Michael Kightly is another they will lean on.
                      McCarthy is realism personified and he knows survival is the aim as they return to the elite - anything else will be a plus.
                      VERDICT: Fighting Birmingham for final relegation place.
                      You can follow me throughout the forthcoming season at twitter.com and join me at Facebook (requires registration)

Comment

1. At 08:35am on 11 Aug 2009, onekopite wrote: I Think you are pretty spot on there Phil, I am a liverpool supporter and agree the pre season hasnt been full of wins, but in patches we have bee superb and we have also been playin a whole host of youngsters more so than united and chelsea i must add, i do believe its goiing to be even tighter than last season, United have lost the the 2nd best player in the world (behind the COMPLETE Steven Gerrard) and influential Carlos Tevez and not replaced them with any better than they already had, where as chelsea have kept all there stars, and liverpool have bought in the best Right Back in country and added a midfielder, who i agree is not as good as Alonso BUT IS better than the rest of midfielder we have so its still better than we already have, unlike United as i stated, The interesting thing for me is how quickly Arsenal are being written off, they still have fabregas, Gallas. van persie, Walcott and Sagna to name a few, i agree 4/5th spot but i think they will still push early on and maybe, just maybe sustain the pressure till the end. As for City, time is a big thing and they want instant success, rarely happens, and they are still frail at the back and in the wide areas, as for there strikers hardly 'top goalscorers'!

top 4 - Chelsea,Liverpool,United and Arsenal.
                        Europa League - Spurs,City and Aston Villa
                        Relegated (3 of) - Hull,Burnley,Portsmouth and Wolves

What do you think?
                        Complain about this comment
                        <LI id=P84123677 class=" stripe">2. At 08:45am on 11 Aug 2009, el nino wrote: Wow I am shocked at this revelation Phil.I would have thought YOU would definately go for Man U or Chelsea.
                        But I do agree with the outcome.
                        <LI id=P84123709>3. At 08:56am on 11 Aug 2009, Hinksy99 wrote: As usual, Everton hugely under-rated. Apparently, two consecutive 5th place finishes counts for nothing.

And I can't see Liverpool winning the league without better striker cover. When Torres doesn't play, they will have real problems up front.
                        <LI id=P84123727 class=" stripe">4. At 08:59am on 11 Aug 2009, SugarDunkerton wrote: Have to disagree here... I would think Wolves and Birmingham will stay up before Burnley...

Liverpool will never win the league this year... losing Alonso is a massive blow.. and only getting 3.5 for Arbeloa then spending 17 on Johnson is nuts.. Rafa needs a reality check with his transfer dealings.

I think Chelsea have one or two more buys in them.. if one of them is another striker who can offer something different to Drogba and Anelka then I think they could be in business... Deco could be like a new signing if they tailor their midfield to him.. I don't understand the chasing of Pirlo when you have Deco there.. undoubtedly a great player but if Deco struggles I would imagine Pirlo would too as they are similar players with similar tempos..
                        <LI id=P84123755>5. At 09:01am on 11 Aug 2009, TorbenPiechnick wrote: Liverpool first and United third? Phil... is that really you?!?

<LI id=P84123782 class=" stripe">6. At 09:04am on 11 Aug 2009, SirPhoenixrisingfrom wrote: Yes Phil - excellent predictions and I do feel Liverpool will be Champions IF they can keep Gerrard/Torres/Mascherano injury-free. They were the best team of the last 2 months of last season and really should have won the League. Time will tell.
                        <LI id=P84123797>7. At 09:04am on 11 Aug 2009, akaTommySmith wrote: If we're basing this on logic, how can you suggest Liverpool will win the league Phil?

They are still massively, massively dependent on Gerrard and Torres. Man Utd and Arsenal can afford to have injuries to any of their players and have enough strength in depth to cope. Liverpool don't.

And do you really think Torres, in particular, will be fit all season?

The signings of Aquilani and Johnson aren't enough to paper over this problem.

And how many world-class players do each of the top four have?
                        Man Utd: Ferdinand, Vidic, Rooney, Evra
                        Chelsea: Lampard, Essien, Terry, Drogba,
                        Arsenal: Fabregas
                        Liverpool: Torres, Gerrard, Mascherano
                        <LI id=P84123825 class=" stripe">8. At 09:06am on 11 Aug 2009, ginger_gooner wrote: Great Blog.

But can't see anything but man u walking away with it again.

I'm interested... are the media saying Arsenal will finish 4th because they believe it, or because they've been writing us off for years and keep ending up with egg on their faces?

I think Liverpool might struggle - have a feeling Gerrard/Torres might pick up a long term, and I don't think Carragher has the legs he once had.

Chelsea will be powerful, but might fade towards the end of the season with old legs.

Will hopefully be an epic league battle (especially around 6->8th).
                        <LI id=P84123837>9. At 09:06am on 11 Aug 2009, Istanbul2005_4eva wrote: This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.
                        <LI id=P84123931 class=" stripe">10. At 09:10am on 11 Aug 2009, sofablade wrote: AMAZING.......Liverpool fan backs Benitez to win title! Surprised that YOU tipped Man U to stay up though Phil....
                        The relegation places will be more exciting than the title chance I reckon and it'll all pale in comparison to the joy of the Championship.
                        COYRAWW!
                        <LI id=P84124007>11. At 09:12am on 11 Aug 2009, displacedscouse wrote: As a red through and through, it pains me say it, but top 10 for everton? understatement! our blue "friends" wil be placed higher than that. moyes has the nouce to get them playing well, and if his squad stays fit, push anyone for europa league places, verging on champions league if arsenal have a bad year.

nice to see you tipping us for the title, but i don't think we want the pressure.
                        <LI id=P84124044 class=" stripe">12. At 09:14am on 11 Aug 2009, Rafa's Magic Box Beard wrote: I was worried you might have jinxed it phil, but on the basis that we haven't won the league when you've said we wouldn't, I'm prepared to let you off!

I'm suprised by your Everton prediction. I'd still have you 5th or 6th. Mind you, that new kit won't do them much good.
                        <LI id=P84124082>13. At 09:15am on 11 Aug 2009, Rafa's Magic Box Beard wrote: sofablade, I think you'll find Phil is a Toffee.
                        <LI id=P84124109 class=" stripe">14. At 09:16am on 11 Aug 2009, pomglen wrote: This comment has been referred to the moderators. Explain.
                        <LI id=P84124149>15. At 09:17am on 11 Aug 2009, Gruff_Nut wrote: Agree Liverpool look good when all are fit - but we all know that doesn't happen. Any injury or loss of form to Torres or Gerrard and they are out. Man U have lost depth in their squad, as have Arsenal. Sure Chelsea have not bought significantly, but they have not lost anyone like the others, and that depth and consistency I think we see them with the title this season.
                        <LI id=P84124194 class=" stripe">16. At 09:19am on 11 Aug 2009, spowwowwow wrote: This comment has been referred to the moderators. Explain.
                        <LI id=P84124197>17. At 09:19am on 11 Aug 2009, telkat wrote: Agree with a lot of what is said...but can't see Liverpool winning the PL anytime soon. Aquilani is an unknown and Benitez let Fergie get under his skin last season so SAF will be out to irritate Benitez at other crucial moments this season. When Gerrard or Torres have been injured Liverpool look at little out of fizz and now that Alonso is gone then the impetus in midfield has diminished.

For me Chelsea will win the league. Ancelotti will almost certainly buy a big name before the end of August despite saying Chelsea are finished in the transfer market.Chelsea haven't lost any of their core squad from last year and the acquisitions of Sturridge and Zhirkov look sound business. Also, a very favourable fixture list at the start of this season should see Chelsea hit the ground running and develop a winning momentum that might carry them nicely into the crunch games against the other top six sides.

Top 6: Chelsea - Man Utd - Liverpool - Arsenal - Everton - Man City

Bottom 3: Wolves - Bolton - Hull
                        <LI id=P84124518 class=" stripe">18. At 09:27am on 11 Aug 2009, surcha wrote: I think there should be no criticsm at Phil (there hasn't been yet)for suggesting Liverpool as Champions. It is his opinions. Being a LFC fan, I honestly beleive Liverpool should have been champions last season as they were the best team. But ManU grinded out last minute winners in the late season and it made the difference.

I think it was a missed chance last season. This time, I don't think we can do the double over ManU or Chelsea, but atleast if we don't drop points over the lower teams then these doubles won't matter.

I don't think Alonso will be missed but what effect that has on the team, I don't know. I still have hopes but losing faith in Rafa.
                        <LI id=P84124535>19. At 09:28am on 11 Aug 2009, U13844141 wrote: This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.
                        <LI id=P84124795 class=" stripe">20. At 09:34am on 11 Aug 2009, Istanbul2005_4eva wrote: This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.
                        <LI id=P84124960>21. At 09:38am on 11 Aug 2009, manufan_rooney wrote: Hi Phil,

Your prediction is so predictable. Predicting Liverpool to win the league has been the biggest joke for last 10 years and it only gets bigger and bigger. There is no doubt what so ever that Man United will definitely struggle with the loss of exceptional CR especially to force wins against teams in the bottom half of table who will only defend but will definitely do better against the top 6 teams. Yes, there is no magical player in ManU's ranks now but ManUtd didn't have magical players in 1999 but they still won the treble. The key to ManU's success this season is how well they start and if they start well, then they will definitely win the league. If you had tipped Chelsea to win the league then i can understand your prediction being objective and logical and by predicting Liverpool to win the league, you have thrown logic out of the window. Chelsea has not lost any key players and in fact has added Zhirkov, Drogba looks much more motivated and Carvalho is back. To win a championship, you need lot of luck to go with skilled players and Liverpool had more than their share of luck last year but still finished second. Liverpool didn’t fare well in Carling Cup and FA Cup which also helped them in their pursuit of the BPL but still fell short.

Thanks for hyping Liverpools's title chances though.....It only helps ManUtd's cause.....but please remove your Liverpool glasses before looking at the Crystal Ball....

Did you get a chance to look at Lawro's predictions ? He must have done with a a heavy heart.......
                        <LI id=P84125043 class=" stripe">22. At 09:40am on 11 Aug 2009, gilesmc wrote: As a Liverpool fan, I would be delighted if your prediction about us finishing as champions comes true. Sadly, I don't share your optimism. Had we kept hold of Alonso, maybe we could have done it this year. Without him, and without Aquilani for maybe the first two months of the season, I think we'll struggle.
                        <LI id=P84125217>23. At 09:44am on 11 Aug 2009, slimtons wrote: This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.
                        • 24. At 09:50am on 11 Aug 2009, flicksdontwork wrote: Nice one Phil.
                          Reading the predictions from the esteemed NOTW sports journos on sunday only 1 tipped Liverpool to win with Rob Shepherd predicting LFC to finish outside the top four!
                          Is it easy to get a job in sports joournalism as i've been spouting nonsense for years without any financial renumeration.

Comment

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philmcnul...er_united.html

<LI id=P84125763>25. At 09:57am on 11 Aug 2009, Johnnyrichmond wrote: This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.
                          <LI id=P84125774 class=" stripe">26. At 09:57am on 11 Aug 2009, BeyondThePale wrote: "When Torres doesn't play, they will have real problems up front."

Who finished top-scorers last season, with injury problems seeing Torres missing a hatful of games and our preferred partnership playing together a grand total of 12 times?

Do people just stick their fingers in their ears and go 'Laa laa laa laa' when the facts are there in front of them?
                          <LI id=P84125887>27. At 09:59am on 11 Aug 2009, PulpGrape wrote: This comment has been referred to the moderators. Explain.
                          <LI id=P84125939 class=" stripe">28. At 10:00am on 11 Aug 2009, Bearsridingbikes wrote: As a Liverpool fan I'm ever the optimist and while I'm happy to agree with Phil's crystal ball, I think it will definitely be a three horse race and it's difficult to choose between them.

I'd just like to point out that this 2 man team argument aimed at LFC is getting really tired. Did Gerrard and Torres play every game last season when they we were only a handful of points behind the champions, mainly a result of too many draws against teams we should have beaten? The simple answer is no, they didn't. Liverpool would miss Mascherano, Torres and Gerrard massively if they were out long term, the same way Chelsea would miss Drogba, Lampard or Terry and Man U would miss Rooney, Ferdinand or Van Der Sar. All 3 teams have very good squads, who suffers the most from injuries is impossible to predict.

Incidentally the addition of Aquilani indicates a system with less emphasis on 2 holding midfielders than last season and hopefully more attacking impetus. Bringing on Lucas for a winger / attacker when we needed a goal seemed a regular ploy that cost us a lot of points, hopefully Benetiz has realised this.
                          <LI id=P84126128>29. At 10:04am on 11 Aug 2009, Ewood21 wrote: akaTommySmith were you joking when you said Fabregas is Arsenal's only world class player? If so, let me set the record straight:

Arsenal: Fabregas, Van Persie, Arshavin, Clichy.
                          <LI id=P84126177 class=" stripe">30. At 10:05am on 11 Aug 2009, whatbill wrote: Its a brave pick but Liverpool had their best season for a long time last year and a lot of pundits will want to predict the moment that their 1st premier league title finally happens.

That said, Liverpool benefitted from United's slow start and Chelsea's mid season turmoil last year but faltered when it really mattered. Its fine to say the were great for the last 3(?) months but by that stage they were out of serious premiership contention and the pressure was off. And when they did look like winning something, they blew it with 2 Keeganesque 4-4 draws. Alonso is also a big loss.

Chelsea have the most settled team in that they haven't lost any big players, although they have a lot of 30somethings. If Ancelotti can keep Drogba fit and focused, Terry and Lampard provide the leadership and Cech gets his form back then they will be hard to stop. Don't forget that despite all last season's problems (and only getting 1 point off Liverpool and United) they were only 3 points beind Liverpool's best ever premiership season, while besting them in the champions league and winning the FA Cup. You can see why Fergie respects them.

United have changed the most and have lost the world player of the year. They have gambled on Owen and Valencia and are relying on their experienced players stepping up and the defence staying fit. They are likely to change their style of play and are also going for a 4th sucessive title, unprecedented in the modern game.

Despite that, if you bet blindly every season that United would win the premiership, you'd be well ahead by now. Fergie is the master of the title race and the players have the experience. They will also not let it go without a fight. I trust Fergie, he has been right too many times before...
                          <LI id=P84126186>31. At 10:06am on 11 Aug 2009, guyastral wrote: It'll be business as usual in the predictable Premier League so lets not get too excited
                          <LI id=P84126187 class=" stripe">32. At 10:06am on 11 Aug 2009, Red_Devil_21 wrote: Liverpool champions - really, Phil? I was expecting to get some professional (?) and logical prediction on this year's Premier League, instead I read this nonsense.
                          Yes Man Utd will struggle this season, but so will Liverpool. Even with the loss of CR7 and Tevez we are still better off than Liverpool losing Alonso.
                          I expect some heavy rivalry for the title between Man Utd and Chelski.
                          <LI id=P84126216>33. At 10:06am on 11 Aug 2009, Bortron wrote: So Liverpool's success depends on two players out of a squad of 20+ staying fit, when they have no adequate replacements. Yet United won't win because some of our players might get injured, despite the fact we have several covering players for every position?

That makes no sense, Phil. Absolutely none.
                          <LI id=P84126361 class=" stripe">34. At 10:09am on 11 Aug 2009, damiendruce wrote: The prospect of passing Liverpools title haul will be a huge motivator at OT this season for both Fergie and the players - I think we'll come 1st/2nd in another run off with Liverpool.
                          <LI id=P84126412>35. At 10:10am on 11 Aug 2009, 5europeancups05 wrote: This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.
                          <LI id=P84126482 class="notables stripe">36. At 10:11am on 11 Aug 2009, Phil McNulty - BBC Sport wrote: To akaTommySmith...take your point about Torres and injuries, but these are imponderables. What if Rooney got injured and was ruled out for months? How would Manchester United cope? What if Frank Lampard got injured and Chelsea were without him?

Of course all the top teams hope their best players stay fit - and at this stage we have to make the assumption they will. I do make the point, however, that Liverpool's chances do depend on Torres and Gerrard staying fit.

Let's call that my prediction's safety net shall we??

And let's hear from fans of every club. Don't let supporters of the top four hog the debate. I want to hear from you all.
                          <LI id=P84126532>37. At 10:12am on 11 Aug 2009, cleverbillsmith wrote: Im alivepppol fa for the last twenty years and i beg to differ with Phil we dont have depth and for you to win the league you need 16-18 players particualrly with the injury prone Gerrard and Torres
                          The owners have not splashed the cash and i we nneed to get one more striker Aquilani is a gamble adjusting to the Premier leguie wont be easy .I would have loved to go for for playweers who have played in the EPL for the ,last couple of years
                          <LI id=P84126639 class=" stripe">38. At 10:14am on 11 Aug 2009, whatbill wrote: #28

I think the Liverpool "2 man team" theory has been spread by Liverpool fans as much as anyone else. When things went wrong last season, the party line was that Liverpool didn't have the resources to compete with Man United or Chelsea as they had only 2 world class players. I'm sure if things go wrong again this time, the same arguement will be used.

You can't have it both ways...
                          <LI id=P84126810>39. At 10:18am on 11 Aug 2009, 355gts wrote: 7 Teams in the top 6?
                          <LI id=P84126813 class=" stripe">40. At 10:18am on 11 Aug 2009, akaTommySmith wrote: Good response Phil - cheers
                          <LI id=P84126919>41. At 10:19am on 11 Aug 2009, AA23 - ''Now, I am Gooner'' wrote: Liverpool Champions?? are u having a laugh? They loose Alonso and replace him with that italian bloke who is injured most of the time. A big injury to either Gerrard/Torres and the season is over for them.
                          <LI id=P84126992 class=" stripe">42. At 10:21am on 11 Aug 2009, doncobaino wrote: "pass liverpool's record of 18 titles"

Maybe you have forgotten but this record is not liverpool's alone, united also hold the record of 18 titles...

Phil the difference is Torres and Gerrard are regularly injured, case in point Torres limps off on Saturday and Stevie has pulled out the England squad. As a United fan I am happy for United not to be favorites heap the expectation on the pool. Similar to the expectation heaped on them last january, expectation which resulted in episodes of Football focus in building up to what surely seemed to by the pool's title (we had Alan Hansen walking around the streets of Anfield) only for them to crumble at Stoke a day later.
                          By all means phil heap on the expectation...
                          <LI id=P84127080>43. At 10:23am on 11 Aug 2009, sam2samsam wrote: #18

Being a LFC fan, I honestly beleive Liverpool should have been champions last season as they were the best team. But ManU grinded out last minute winners in the late season and it made the difference.

-----------------------------------

One of the most hilarious statements I've read in a while. The best team WINS the league and as far as I can recall Liverpool didn't.
                          Oh and don't the best teams win when they aren't playing well?

Liverpool winning the league? Yup, It's "their year" again. For some reason I think I've heard this all before, but maybe it's just me. Never mind.

My heart says Man Utd but my head says Chelsea.

Lets see how things go, but I am delighting in us being written of and Liverpool being tipped to win the league!(Again)

<LI id=P84127196 class=" stripe">44. At 10:25am on 11 Aug 2009, Smallgaz wrote: It's so funny how so many posters say about Liverpool only having 2 players - Gerrard & Torres and if they are injured we'd struggle. Can I ask how we did against the other teams in the top 4 last season despite in many of those games not having both players in the team? Yeah that's right, we took 14 points from 18.

Don't forget Liverpool only had Gerrard & Torres in the team for something like 15 out of the 38 league games and still finished 2nd. Chances are they will play considerably more games this season than last, as they did the season beforehand.

Yes Liverpool have lost Alonso, but let's look at his contribution last season and the season before in comparison to Ronaldo's over the last 2 seasons for Utd. It does not compare. How many Utd fans would argue that Alonso is anywhere near one of the world's greatest players? Answer= none.

How many would say Ronaldo is/was the best player? A huge amount! So let's be honest we have improved by signing Johnson and getting rid of Arbeloa and possibly weakened by losing Alonso (let's give Aquilani a chance before writing him off without even kicking a ball!)
                          But - Utd are undoubtedly weaker having lost Ronaldo who contributed far more goals/assists than Alonso has done.

Also to the poster who mentioned Rafa's rotations - this is again another myth. Ferguson rotated just as much last year and won the league, so please check your facts before using these tired old myths!
                          <LI id=P84127232>45. At 10:25am on 11 Aug 2009, fatdeano wrote: "United have lost the the 2nd best player in the world (behind the COMPLETE Steven Gerrard)"

I hate it when Liverpool fans state the above, Xavi and Iniesta are the most complete players in the world. For Gerrard to be World Best he needs to perform on the International Stage and then needs to keep the ball better (like all English players)

Anyway, Phil is not far off, to be honest any of Chelsea, Man U and Liverpool could win the title but I personally think Chelsea are slight favourites

<LI id=P84127429 class=" stripe">46. At 10:29am on 11 Aug 2009, Tori_torres8 wrote: Starts again the plainly irritating and taunting cries of the curse of football,namely manchester united,their fans and the bewitched old face. Tell me except for a few games last season when did united played a premier league winner standard? Can AF win any silverware without using his hypocrite behaviour and tongue?maybe few years back but never now.
                          Coming on to the matter,they talk a lot about gerrard and torres staying fit! But do you guys watch the same premier league? Kyut is the best utility player in europe. Riera's talent,who says hes not world class?aquilani was even under AFs eye. And evra a world class player?from when?maybe from last sunday?no international club'll ever buy carrik and fletcher. If liverpool can add a volante or a consistent striker,i see no club nearing the heights.
                          West ham will be the team to look for this season rather than mancity and everton.aston villa need someone inspirational in their squad and tottenham,i hope for 6place and a cup win. Chelsea are liverpools main threat and arsenal will keep the 'curse of football' below them at 4th.i'd rather see westham enter the elite 4 at the cost of manU. Its Sir Benitez's time.
                          <LI id=P84127561>47. At 10:32am on 11 Aug 2009, Lineandlength wrote: Can't see Liverpool winning to be honest. Chelsea look strong but you can't look past Utd as they always turn their playing staff over. Ronaldo will be missed but now they'll just play a slightly different way and utilise Rooney and Berbatov.

4th will be interesting. Hopefully Arshavin and Van Persie will snap a leg each and Arsenal will finish 12th. However, they're still favourites for 4th but will be pushed by City, Villa, Everton and (hopefully) Spurs.

Relegation looks like a battle between Hull, Burnley, Birmingham, Stoke and Pompey. Personally I'd like to see Birmingham, Stoke and Bolton go down though.
                          <LI id=P84127612 class=" stripe">48. At 10:33am on 11 Aug 2009, stuExeterCity wrote: It would be interesting to see every pundits predictions for the last 5 or so years and compare then to what the actual tables ended up like. And also maybe take note of any changes to their prediction over the season.

Often at the start of the season a large number of pundits are plumping for Liverpool to win and they haven't done yet, and often said poundit will change their mind halfway through the season.
                          <LI id=P84127670>49. At 10:34am on 11 Aug 2009, RetiredNo6 wrote: To akaTommySmith:

Fabregas isn't even our best player - so not quite sure how he's our "only" World Class player. The best player at Arsenal is Robin Van Persie and Arshavin certainly fits in the same catagory as somebody like Rooney in terms of ability and product.

I'm not sure abotut the term "worlc class" but I would argue that they fit into the same bracket as the others you've listed.
                          <LI id=P84127746 class=" stripe">50. At 10:35am on 11 Aug 2009, pomglen wrote: Istanbul2005_4eva:

My comments were aimed at the original article by Phil - I don't know where you got the idea I was replying to you from!

Anyway, on to your comments:

So, Fletcher and Carrick are not as good as Liverpool's midfield? United's midfield isn't just those 2 by the way - it varies depending on the system and the opposition. Amazing, that a midfield that contains players that, in your opinion "have not quite cut it yet in the prem, and Scholes and Giggs that managed a few cameo's last season" has managed to win the title for the last 3 years, eh? And then you're comparing it to a midfield that has lost one of their key members (Alonso) and has brought in an unknown in Aquilani? Not forgetting Hargreaves (if he ever gets fit!) who missed virtually all of last season.

And your comments about 'bacon face' just show how immature your are, I'm afraid.

Comment

Working...
                          X