• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sheffield Wednesday's Johnson targets double figures

Sheffield Wednesday's Johnson targets double figures

By Paul Thompson
    Sheffield Wednesday

JERMAINE Johnson's scoring feat has given him a flying start towards a target for the season.

The Owls winger has revealed that he kicked off the campaign with the aim of getting 10 goals.

But he already has three from the first two games, and his strike against Barnsley and double against Rochdale mean that he has already equalled the total that he achieved for the whole of 2008-09.

Johnson believes the he can reach double figures whether he plays in his usual position on the wing or as a striker - the role he filled against Rochdale. "I only got three goals all season so to start off with three has been really good for me," he said.

"My aim was to get 10. I want to keep going in every game and try to create chances or score a goal.

"I think I can get to 10 whether I play out wide or up front - I can still get shots in, it makes no real difference."

The Jamaica international says he is a happy to play in either position but prefers it out wide.

"Wherever the gaffer chooses me, I'll be pleased to play. I like playing up front but I prefer to play on the wing - that's my position."

Johnson says that extra practice with his finishing with Jamaica and Wednesday has helped him to get the goals: "When I was with Jamaica in the summer I worked in training to get my finishing right, and in the last couple of weeks in training it has also has gone much better."

The Owls have been drawn away to Port Vale, United's conquerors, in the Carling Cup second round to be played in the week beginning August 24.
    No need to thank me forumites.
Working...
X