Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GMF interview: Jermaine Johnson

GMF interview: Jermaine Johnson

Jermaine Johnson talks to Givemefootball after three goals in two games for Sheffield Wednesday

JJ has got off to a great start for the Owls this season. (©PAphotos)

Picture GalleryNew

I scored three goals last season and have reached that target after two games

The Australian cricket team may have Mitchell Johnson as their wicket taker, but Sheffield Wednesday have got Jermaine Johnson as there new goal scorer.

The Jamaican International has come back from International duty and started the season like a train, with three goals in two games for the Owls.

Givemefootball’s Lawrie Madden caught up with the versatile player after his brace against Rochdale in the Carling Cup.

Q: A good performance from the team and from you?

A: We wanted to keep up our opening form. It is important to get the win and to get the disappointment of Saturday out of our system when we were 2-0 up and then had to settle for a draw.

Q: From a personal point of view, you have started the season well haven't you?

A: Yes, I scored three goals last season and have reached that target after two games. I have started really well and am aiming to get 10 goals this season and prove to the gaffer that I deserve a place in the team.

Q: Any reason why you have come back in such good goal scoring form?

A: I have been with the Jamaican squad during the summer and worked and trained hard to get my finishing right. In shooting practices I have been trying to hit the corners of the net more. It is coming but I still need to keep working to get better.

Q: You have played as a winger and as a striker. How different is it?

A: It is not really different in some ways as you need to keep focused. The only problem playing up front is that sometimes you have your back to goal, whereas on the wing you have the ball at your feet running at a defender towards their goal.

Q: Looking at the new additions, is the squad stronger this season?

A: I think the squad is stronger. The Gaffer made five changes against Rochdale and we won comfortably in the end, so that is a sign that we are stronger than last season. The players the Gaffer has brought in are all experienced players who have all played at this level or higher.

Q: You had an eventful summer with Jamaica, scoring a wonder goal and getting sent off. What happened?

A: Well I got my 56th cap and scored. But a defender gave me a slap around the face and then I reacted and pushed him and got sent off. It is something I have to learn from because I love playing for Jamaica.
    No need to thank me forumites.
Working...
X