RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

While the Arsenal fans here try to claim its no big deal ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• While the Arsenal fans here try to claim its no big deal ...

UEFA charge Eduardo for "deceiving ref"

UEFA have charged Arsenal striker Eduardo with "deceiving the referee" after he took a dive to win a controversial penalty in the Gunners' 3-1 Champions League play-off victory over Celtic at the Emirates Stadium.

GettyImages
    Eduardo: Used simulation to win penalty

Scottish FA chief executive Gordon Smith and Celtic player Massimo Donati had both urged European football's governing body to take action after Wednesday's match and the Croatian could now face a two-match suspension.
    UEFA said in a statement: "Having studied video evidence of the incident in question, the UEFA disciplinary inspector decided to charge the player concerned. The UEFA control and disciplinary body will examine the case on September 1.''
    The charge is based on Article 10, paragraph 1c of the UEFA disciplinary regulations (misconduct of players) which states: "Players may be suspended for two competition matches, or for a specified period, for acting with the obvious intent to cause any match official to make an incorrect decision or supporting his error of judgment and thereby causing him to make an incorrect decision.''
    If Eduardo is banned he would miss Arsenal's Champions League clash away at Standard Liege on September 16 and the home match with Olympiacos on September 29.
    Arsenal's comprehensive 5-1 aggregate win over Celtic was marred when Eduardo, making only his second start of the season for the Gunners, fell to the ground as Bhoys goalkeeper Artur Boruc made a challenge in the 28th minute.
    The simulation conned Spanish referee Manuel Mejuto Gonzalez and the striker scored from the penalty spot to open the scoring in the second leg match.
    After the match Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger admitted that "having seen it again on television, it doesn't look to be a penalty" before Smith waded into the debate.
    The SFA had used retrospective punishment to sanction Rangers striker Kyle Lafferty, who feigned being headbutted by Aberdeen defender Charlie Mulgrew during an SPL game in May. And the SFA chief urged UEFA to do the same with Eduardo.
    "We have shown the courage to use retrospective punishment when it comes to simulation and I would urge UEFA to do so in this instance. Everything that can be done to stamp it out must be done - starting right now," said Smith.
    "Since I came into this post, I have raised the issue of simulation time and time again - both here in Scotland and with FIFA and UEFA. I don't think that I have received enough support in my efforts to eradicate what I believe to be one of the most serious threats to the integrity of football. Last night showed exactly why we must take this issue seriously.
    "Everyone in football has a responsibility to set the right example to our youngsters. We can talk all we want about fair play campaigns, but taking action would be a much more powerful deterrent and would send the right message to players everywhere.
    "Eduardo is a terrific player who has battled back from a serious injury to resume playing at the highest level. However, last night he showed disrespect to the game by his actions in winning a penalty against Celtic."

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...league&cc=5901
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

LAZIE ARE YOU WAITING FOR SATURDAY ARS vus MANU

to predict a victory for your team....wahat say you if your team loses ala liverpool two games so early on.
    "Everyone who knows me understands that I hold no prejudices in this regard....In the family atmosphere of the {RBSC}telethon, I forget that not everyone knows me that well." ....attributed to Jerry Lewis....

Comment

Originally posted by PeeJay View Post
      to predict a victory for your team....wahat say you if your team loses ala liverpool two games so early on.
      If my team loses? Sorry! We already lost a game ... its time to go on an unbeaten run. Hurdle one was cleared last week, hurdle two ... as Luda would say .. "Move ... get out the way!.
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
        If my team loses? Sorry! We already lost a game ... its time to go on an unbeaten run. Hurdle one was cleared last week, hurdle two ... as Luda would say .. "Move ... get out the way!.
        Hurdle one?
        Wah dat?

Hurdle two?
        A who dat?

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
          UEFA charge Eduardo for "deceiving ref"

UEFA have charged Arsenal striker Eduardo with "deceiving the referee" after he took a dive to win a controversial penalty in the Gunners' 3-1 Champions League play-off victory over Celtic at the Emirates Stadium.

GettyImages
          Eduardo: Used simulation to win penalty

Scottish FA chief executive Gordon Smith and Celtic player Massimo Donati had both urged European football's governing body to take action after Wednesday's match and the Croatian could now face a two-match suspension.
          UEFA said in a statement: "Having studied video evidence of the incident in question, the UEFA disciplinary inspector decided to charge the player concerned. The UEFA control and disciplinary body will examine the case on September 1.''
          The charge is based on Article 10, paragraph 1c of the UEFA disciplinary regulations (misconduct of players) which states: "Players may be suspended for two competition matches, or for a specified period, for acting with the obvious intent to cause any match official to make an incorrect decision or supporting his error of judgment and thereby causing him to make an incorrect decision.''
          If Eduardo is banned he would miss Arsenal's Champions League clash away at Standard Liege on September 16 and the home match with Olympiacos on September 29.
          Arsenal's comprehensive 5-1 aggregate win over Celtic was marred when Eduardo, making only his second start of the season for the Gunners, fell to the ground as Bhoys goalkeeper Artur Boruc made a challenge in the 28th minute.
          The simulation conned Spanish referee Manuel Mejuto Gonzalez and the striker scored from the penalty spot to open the scoring in the second leg match.
          After the match Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger admitted that "having seen it again on television, it doesn't look to be a penalty" before Smith waded into the debate.
          The SFA had used retrospective punishment to sanction Rangers striker Kyle Lafferty, who feigned being headbutted by Aberdeen defender Charlie Mulgrew during an SPL game in May. And the SFA chief urged UEFA to do the same with Eduardo.
          "We have shown the courage to use retrospective punishment when it comes to simulation and I would urge UEFA to do so in this instance. Everything that can be done to stamp it out must be done - starting right now," said Smith.
          "Since I came into this post, I have raised the issue of simulation time and time again - both here in Scotland and with FIFA and UEFA. I don't think that I have received enough support in my efforts to eradicate what I believe to be one of the most serious threats to the integrity of football. Last night showed exactly why we must take this issue seriously.
          "Everyone in football has a responsibility to set the right example to our youngsters. We can talk all we want about fair play campaigns, but taking action would be a much more powerful deterrent and would send the right message to players everywhere.
          "Eduardo is a terrific player who has battled back from a serious injury to resume playing at the highest level. However, last night he showed disrespect to the game by his actions in winning a penalty against Celtic."

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...league&cc=5901
          So Uefa is saying that an offence that would warrant a yellow card during a game, will result in a 2 match ban if unseen by the ref....crap!!

So now the precedence will be set, once a player dives in a match he should automatically get a 2 match ban.

Comment

i don't have a problem with it.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Wenger anger over Eduardo charge

Eduardo wins a penalty after going down in the penalty area

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has accused Uefa of conducting a "witch-hunt" after it charged Eduardo with diving in the Champions League clash with Celtic.
              Striker Eduardo appeared to dive to win a penalty last Wednesday and Uefa could ban him for up to two games when its disciplinary body meets on 1 September.
              "I find it a complete disgrace and unacceptable," said Wenger.
              "It singles out a player to be a cheat and that is not acceptable. We will not accept the way Uefa has treated this."
              If Eduardo is suspended he would miss Standard Liege away on 16 September and the home match with Olympiacos on 29 September.
              And Wenger added: "I believe you can debate whether it is a penalty or not. But this charge implies there was intent and a desire to cheat the referee. Having seen again the pictures again, nothing is conclusive.
              "It's a witch-hunt that we see and not an objective judgement of a case."
              Wenger said the Croat may have taken evasive action in light of the career-threatening broken leg he sustained two seasons ago.
              606: DEBATE
              It doesn't look like a penalty, neither does it look like a dive to me

Gunner_For_Real

And the Frenchman added that European football's governing body would have difficulty proving the 26-year-old intended to deceive the referee.
              "We will defend our player as far as we can because he is not being treated fairly," said Wenger.
              "It's funny in football because you can break the legs of players and it doesn't make a debate for anybody.
              "I'm the first to say that it doesn't look like a penalty but it's another thing to say that he went down with intent. I wish good luck in proving that having seen the pictures again."
              In charging Eduardo, Wenger claimed Uefa had set off down a dangerous path whereby any decision made by an official can be contested after the match.
              He said: "There is completely lack of logic in this case. Why? Because people have reacted emotionally.

"This case has been ruled by the media and emotionally by Scotland, by the Scottish FA and by Scottish people working at Uefa.
              "I've fought my whole life against cheating and I've seen some obvious cases where Uefa didn't intervene. On and off the pitch things have happened where no action was taken.
              "But now the existing rules of football have been changed just for one case so we will from now on challenge every single decision that is made in Europe by the referees.
              "This is the first time since I've been in football that the judgement made by the referee is not accepted by the football bodies."
              There appeared to be no contact between Eduardo and Celtic goalkeeper Artur Boruc but referee Manuel Gonzalez still gave a penalty midway through the first half.
              After Eduardo converted the resulting spot kick, the Gunners went on to win 3-1 at the Emirates Stadium. They won 5-1 on aggregate to secure a spot in the group stages.

Scottish FA chief executive Gordon Smith has called for the Brazil-born Eduardo to be banned over Wednesday's penalty incident at the Emirates.
              "Eduardo showed disrespect to the game by his actions," he said.
              "We have shown courage to use retrospective punishment when it comes to simulation. I'd urge Uefa to do so.
              "Since I came into post I have raised the issue of simulation time and time again - both here in Scotland and with Fifa and Uefa.
              "I don't think that I have received enough support in my efforts to eradicate what I believe to be one of the most serious threats to the integrity of football.
              "Last night showed exactly why we must take this issue seriously.
              "Everything that can be done to stamp it out must be done. Starting right now."
              Uefa president Michel Platini believes additional assistant referees behind each goal line would combat diving.
              He said: "One day players will give up simulating because refs will see them. I am convinced that you have referees nearby, then you will stop this."
              Celtic had travelled to the Emirates 2-0 down from the first leg in Glasgow, when Arsenal had been the better side but had scored with a deflection and an own goal.
              The first goal in London, then, was likely to be crucial and Boruc was incensed when Gonzalez pointed to the spot.
              "I see no reason why we cannot use technology to assist referees," said Smith.
              "We need a serious debate on these issues. Everyone in football has a responsibility to set the right example to our youngsters.
              "We can talk all we want about Fair Play campaigns, but taking action would be a much more powerful deterrent and would send the right message to players everywhere."
              Celtic midfielder Massimo Donati is another who is keen to see Uefa use video evidence.
              "If it is clear on TV, then Uefa must act and ban him," said Donati.
              "I think he should get a two-match ban because it wasn't a penalty. I told him that and everyone in the Celtic team told him that."
              Donati believes Eduardo should be treated the same way as Lithuania striker Saulius Mikoliunas, who was punished for diving against Scotland at Hampden Park in September 2007.
              After that occasion Uefa used video evidence before giving Mikoliunas a two-match ban.

Comment

i disagree with wenger....that kinda sanction will get the attention of the divers....replaying the footage gives a more accurate account of what happens. divers should be sanctioned

NOW if UEFA was so decisive about racism in football and meting out justice as swiftly!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                  i disagree with wenger....that kinda sanction will get the attention of the divers....replaying the footage gives a more accurate account of what happens. divers should be sanctioned

NOW if UEFA was so decisive about racism in football and meting out justice as swiftly!
                  Agreed

Comment

Working...
                  X