• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mears: I've played for Jamaica, now I want England call

Mears: I've played for Jamaica, now I want England call
    8:31am
    Thursday 10th September 2009

Comments (3) Have your say »

Burnley fullback Tyrone Mears has not given up hope of a call-up to the England squad one day.

Mears appeared in a friendly for John Barnes’ Jamaica against Nigeria in February but believes he is still eligible to play for England and is hopeful that the call might come in the future.

“I played half a game for Jamaica but that was more of a fitness thing,” said Mears, who needed game time on the way back from a long-term knee injury.

“I was born in England, I am English and my dream is to play for England.”

Mears Still Has England Dream
    Posted on: Wed 09 Sep 2009

Clarets defender Tyrone Mears insists he remains 100 per cent English and still harbours hopes of a call-up by his home country.

Mears had a run-out for Jamaica in February when he was battling back from an injury sustained while playing for Marseille.

But, according to the Stockport-born full-back, that un-capped appearance for the Reggae Boyz, who were then managed by John Barnes, did not qualify him as Jamaican and should not cast doubts on his international ambitions.

"I was asked to join the squad for training and a friendly. I was coming back from four or five months out with a knee injury at Marseilles and I really needed a game so I joined the squad, but that was it," said Mears, whose appearance came in a goalless draw against Nigeria at Millwall's New Den.

"The Jamaica thing was never going to happen. I played half a game for them in a friendly but that was more of a fitness thing. I wasn't capped and to be honest I'm not really too sure that I do qualify to play for Jamaica. I think it (his family link) is too way back.

"John Barnes was a close family friend and he did invite me to represent them but I decided not to. I was born in England, I am English and my dream is to play for England."

Tyrone Mears still has international hopes

At 26, Mears would be a latecomer to international football. But having made it back to the Premier League following his summer move to Turf Moor, the former Preston, Derby and West Ham full-back has the chance to catch the eye of England coach Fabio Capello to challenge for a position that is not brimming with obvious challengers to Liverpool's Glenn Johnson.

"He is doing fantastic and he is the number-one English right-back," added Mears, who has started the season in outstanding form for the Clarets.

"He's the one that you have got to be trying to push. Maybe I've still got a few more years to try and make a name for myself in the Premiership.

"That's the dream, that's the goal. Whether it happens I don't know, but if I am going to represent my country, it's going to be England."

Comment

there you go. story done. good luck to him.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

...and Luther Blissett a come wid him nonsense bout wi fi call di English player dem. Could there be a bigger dis than what Mears said about his Jamaica experience? Unnu nuh have nuh shame?!

Brite! Like him have any chance fi mek England team!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

remember david johnson? yuh think there are more david johnson's out there? btw...whatever did become of david johnson? did he get his england call up?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Some will mek it seem like Mears and DJ are, well, Mears and DJ, and we shouldn't paint them all with the same mercenary brush. I would suggest there have been others, but mi nah call dem name.

We don't need them! The genuine few will come forward and their commitment will not be in doubt. Jamal Campbell Ryce comes to mind, but there have been others in the past. Jamaica just needs to sort out itself and build on the successes of the past. Read the post mortem by our Trini brothers (puke) on their failed 2009 Hex campaign and learn from it. Afterall, we wrote the book, damn it!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

yeah dem imitate 'til dem all imitate whey dem niffi imitate....reminds of of the guy who was copying in the o level exams and and all copy di scribble whey di yute scribble fi si ef di pen did a work!!!

Comment

but mosiah jamaica success on the past includeds guys like robbie earl dj comming frank sinclair comming on board.... i wonder what barnes thinks now ?
                Last edited by Naminirt; September 11, 2009, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Well at least him never have fi jump through any window fi come play fi we . Him get a invitation and ticket in hand.
                  • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

what success? getting to the WC? Even T&T did that! we want more! and we will not get it with mercenaries!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Yeah but they have a side in the Under-20 World Cup now in Egypt...where are our youths???

Comment

Some of our professionals are worst than mercenaries....at least mercenaries try to get the job done! What we have are players who all thinkthey are stars and nothing to show for it in the National games....

Comment

i forgot that we've never made a u20 or u17 world cup. mea culpa...

Comment

How unnu love throw words pon Bricktop so?

Mi never know you support Argentina too
                            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I respect Argentina...always...for their history and after they eased up on us in France....heh, heh,

Comment

Working...
                              X