X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is the right man?

Lennon, SWP, Becks and Walcott fighting for two places

By Matt Barlow Last updated at 2:53 AM on 15th October 2009
    High jump: Wright-Phillips is last in line on the right wing despite his goal last night

There were as many nerves in the stands as on the pitch on audition night. The clock is ticking and England will play only another 180 minutes before Fabio Capello names the 23 he will take to South Africa.
    Emile Heskey applauded from the bench as Peter Crouch scored twice and Michael Owen looked on as his chances of an international return appeared to recede further.
    Theo Walcott, too. This time last year, he was the darling of the nation after his hat-trick in Croatia.
    Even now, it remains the pivotal moment of the entire qualifying campaign because it restored belief inside England's dressing room.
    Last night, Walcott was among those invited to watch by Capello as a gesture of inclusion. But perhaps the manager wanted to meddle with emotions; to make sure those looking down on the Wembley pitch felt the urge to be part of it again.
    Walcott's place in the World Cup squad can no longer be taken for granted. Competition is fierce on the right wing. David Beckham would be a banker if Steve Bruce were picking the team. Bruce named Beckham as his man of the match last night, even though he played only the last 35 minutes.
    It seemed ridiculous but Becks did what Becks does and managers, like Bruce and, presumably, Capello, appreciate it. He lifted the tempo and gave England better rhythm. He crossed the ball well, as ever, and hit a post. Whether that made him the best player on the field is another matter.

Total touches 51: The goal was the highlight for Manchester City¿s winger, who managed 21 accurate passes out of 25, giving him an 84% success rate. Also he had three tackles

He seemed a little embarrassed to receive the award. But the crowd loved it and Beckham must have gone some way to allay Capello's fears that he was tired.

If Beckham is a genuine contender on the right, it makes the England manager's task tricky. In all probability he will take only two wingers, maybe two plus Beckham if he believes the 115-cap man can deputise in the centre of midfield.

Aaron Lennon dashed to the head of the queue with a blistering display against Croatia but was hooked after 15 minutes in Ukraine to make way for David James after Robert Green's red card.
    But inconsistency is common with the Spurs speed merchant and sometimes the game drifts by him. This was one of those occasions. England's driving force against Croatia was the reward. A win booked a place in South Africa and Capello's England have proved they cannot find their edge when there is nothing much at stake.
    They showed enough spirit with 10 men in Dnipropetrovsk but it is no coincidence that the 100 per cent winning record disappeared as soon as qualification was secure. As his team struggled to inject urgency into their play against Belarus, Capello flapped his arms and slumped deeper into his seat.
    Stuart Pearce was sent out to the touchline to administer the kick up the backside. Fans resorted to the Mexican Wave. It was a far cry from the smoke and fire of Ukraine. In this tepid atmosphere, players seemed unable to left themselves. Shaun Wright-Phillips did not manage it, despite finding the net in the second half, and must be considered the last in the line of right wingers.

Enlarge

Total touches 30: Not as potent as against Croatia but the Tottenham winger still made 11 out of his 14 passes to deliver an accuracy success rate of 79%. Just the one tackle.

James Milner did catch the eye out of position at left back. His jinking run and body swerve late in the game deserved to lead to his first England goal, but his curling shot thudded against the inside of a post. Capello is already a Milner fan. He likes his attitude and versatility, a quality which comes into its own as a tournament looms closer.
    Walcott, however, needs to get back into action. He has just returned for Arsenal after a side strain and will be keen to be part of the England team who take on Brazil in Qatar next month.
    Amid the nail-biting of those on the fringes, there was relief for Rio Ferdinand, who will be one of the first names picked for South Africa.
    Ferdinand won his 76th England cap against Belarus but found himself under closer scrutiny than in the five years since his return from a ban for missing a drug test. Capello would have liked to give him a breather but, after two private conversations, the wise Italian felt it more important for the Manchester United defender to cleanse Saturday's error in Ukraine from the system.
    For the most part, he played it safe and simple. Occasionally he launched the ball aimlessly in Crouch's general direction. Depressing as that was, the key was to survive without another blunder. Survive he did and Capello must hope his defender's confidence is restored before next summer.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1220500/Who-right-man-Lennon-SWP-Becks-Walcott-fighting-places.html#ixzz0U1bBFfDx
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

4 fighting for 2 places? PPL forget that Joe Cole is returning?
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

him not going to make the squad. He's been out of action for too long. My pick would be Lennon and Beckham.
      Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Ole David was good!
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
          4 fighting for 2 places? PPL forget that Joe Cole is returning?
          Joe Cole plays left side for England,if he stays injury free he will be in the squad.So will Becks.

Comment

Originally posted by Dunny View Post
            Joe Cole plays left side for England,if he stays injury free he will be in the squad.So will Becks.
            right ... the 2 places up for grabs are the 2 wings. That means its 4 players fighting for 1.5 spots.
            "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Crouch name his place yesterday with a very good display. Hill Heskey, Cole, Bent, Gaby, Ashley Young be in the squad?
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Crouch has come a long way from when I used to call him Peter Slouch. He is yet to fail in the English national team.

Peter Crouch maintains impressive scoring record but manager remains unmoved

Matt Hughes, Deputy Football Correspondent

gSiteLife.Recommend("ExternalResource", "6875580","http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/international/article6875580.ece");Recommend? (2)

div#related-article-links p a, div#related-article-links p a:visited {color:#06c;} Future generations will look back and wonder precisely what Peter Crouch did to offend Fabio Capello, whether he once criticised Kandinsky or simply turned up for an official dinner wearing flip-flops.
                The Tottenham Hotspur striker boasts a remarkable scoring record of better than a goal every other game at international level, but he is still rated less than 50-50 to make it to the World Cup finals.
                Crouch’s international strike-rate is the envy of his team-mates, if not the entire footballing world. After his brace last night, the 28-year-old has scored 18 goals in 35 appearances for England, and a barely credible 16 in the 17 matches that he has started.
                He is not yet ready to write off his chances of making the plane to South Africa, but he was happy to concede he is unlikely to start England’s next match, despite helping them to end their World Cup qualifying campaign on a high. Fitness permitting, Emile Heskey will return to face Brazil in Doha on November 14, with Crouch sent back to the substitutes’ bench.
                function slideshowPopUp(url){pictureGalleryPopupPic(url);re turn false;}Related Links

Multimedia

“I don’t expect to start the next game,” he said. “That’s up to the manager. Whenever I come in I feel I do a job and don’t let anyone down. Sometimes it’s difficult to get involved in the game, but you’re always going to have chances in this England side. I’m just pleased I put two away and hopefully I’ll get another game.”
                Crouch does not have the scalps of the leading nations in his locker, with Croatia and Greece the most accomplished sides he has scored against, but he has rarely been given the chance to test himself against the best. The problem now is that he may be denied that opportunity until it is too late, as Capello has reservations based on the player’s lack of pace and inability to hold on to possession. The Italian did not so much damn Crouch with faint as no praise last night, limiting himself to an acknowledgement of the statistics.
                “I know very well Peter Crouch, and I know the other players very well,” Capello said. “He’s one part of the squad. I know the numbers of Peter Crouch, but I know the players. I have a style I want to play in certain games, and I know the players who will be on the pitch. I know very well Peter Crouch. He scores a lot of goals.”
                At least Crouch knows what he has done to annoy Steve Bruce, the Sunderland manager-turned-pundit, who was responsible for the bizarre choice of David Beckham as man of the match. “I couldn’t give the man of the match to Crouchie as he turned me down in the summer,” Bruce said with a smile.

Comment

It look like Darren Bent affi show him can walk on water before he gets a chance to prove himself in the national team.

Comment

He could get in over Heskey or Carlton Cole. I would drop Heskey for Bent. Who do you think should be the number 1 goalie - David James, Ben Foster or Robert Green?

Comment

As long as Darren Bent's game, outside of his finishing, stays at that low level, he will not be in Capello's squad.

Comment

Only thing holding back Crouch is his speed relative to the English game. Crouch is a skilled balla (perhaps the closest thing to Gazza on their team right now). He would play mid in a S.American team.

I would pick him any Day over hesky. I would take Lennon to Africa too. Swp is nice but for some reason I don't want to go out on a limb for him becuase I know capello's style. Capello functions best with a rough and grinding team. I don't think Capello will bring an all out attacking squad to Africa.

Comment

Working...
                        X