• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hue: I'm ready to provide magic

Hue: I'm ready to provide magic

By Howard Walker Observer staff reporter
    walkerh@jamaiacobserver.com

Friday, November 27, 2009

IN response to national senior head coach Theodore Whitmore's concern about the lack of a creative midfield player in his squad, discarded Reggae Boy Jermaine Hue says he is available to fill that position.

"I am always willing to represent my country, and it's up to them," Hue told the Observer last Sunday after leading Harbour View to a 1-0 win over Boys' Town in a Digicel Premier League match.

HUE (left)... when the national call comes, I'll deal with it

"I have done interviews before and the question always came up about playing for the national team and, as I have said before, I am waiting," Hue added.

Whitmore, in an exclusive interview with the Observer recently, outlined his problem in finding a creative midfielder after Jamaica failed to break down a South African defence in a dull 0-0 draw in their friendly international in South Africa.

Although Whitmore mentioned young Keammar Daley, the general thought is that Hue is the man whose magic will help to win games by providing for strikers and other players around him.

"Jermaine Hue is a class player, but does he want to play for Jamaica? And before we can even go into any discussion on that, we have to get that straightened out," Whitmore was quoted as saying.

"I have never had the chance to coach Jermaine Hue, but it seems to me he's frustrated with the past coaches, for some reason. To be honest, you have players who think they are being used, and probably Jermaine is one of them who thinks that he is only called to the senior team when the 'name' overseas-based players are not around," added Whitmore then.

Hue, who made his debut for the Reggae Boyz in 1999 and scored 11 goals, remains optimistic.

"I am playing football at my club and the best thing for me is to keep playing and I am playing now. The national call, if it comes, I will deal with it," he told the Observer.

Hue had just provided a little piece of "magic" as his 35-metre diagonal pass split opened the Boys' Town back line and allowed Lovel Palmer the chance to pick out the onrushing Marclino Blackburn to tap home for the winner.

After the game, the Observer caught up with Hue's club coach, Donovan Hayles, to find out if the former is indeed the player for the creative playmaker's role in the national team.

"It is a pity that it takes this long for Jamaica or the national people to know that you need a playmaker. We can't talk about work rate. Work rate is not just in defence; work rate is going forward," Hayles noted.

He added: "No one can fault Jermaine Hue for the work rate he put out here tonight in attack. This is his nature. I wouldn't ask Dwayne Miller (goalkeeper) to run out and try and get a goal for us. He is there to stand in the goal and perform.

"I am glad to hear that 'Tappa' (Whitmore) is looking in this direction. They say it is better to be late than never and I hope that if he (Hue) is called he'll be given the opportunity to go and showcase himself. He has been called often times and was given the opportunity.

"Whatever little is left of Jermaine Hue, the country can only benefit and we must squeeze as much out of him while he is still playing," said Hayles.
    Last edited by Karl; November 28, 2009, 07:04 PM.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Karl, are you through adding up how many times Maestro loses the ball in a game? You might need a few more days. Let me know when you get to the second half.

LOL!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Football politics is really sumtin else in Jamaica. Yuh always need ballers with nuff experience around to guide younger ballers.
      Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

No, we have a large and talented enough pool of U-23s we can call upon to prepare for 2014.

Hue should concentrate on what's left of his club career, still.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
          No, we have a large and talented enough pool of U-23s we can call upon to prepare for 2014.

Mind u mek people mistake u sarcasm fi u true feelings, some among us will think dem whip u into submission.

If there is no one in the island that is better than Hue, I cant see why he is not starting for the national team. Di man still fit like a fiddle
          Six days I work for my children, on the seventh day they work for me.
          Mitty

Comment

is there any reason we can't have both? Right now we nuh have none.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

In terms of experience, we could use both Andy Williams and Jerry Hue at the creative mid position until a Keammar Daley or a Akeem Priestly is groomed properly. Andy and Jerry could spell each other so as to save the legs. However, make no mistake it's past time we start looking for the next Jerry Hue!
              "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

Comment

I don't see any reason why we can't have say Jerry Hue play for 60 minutes and then give Kemar or who else they want to groom.

My problem is we took a team to South Africa and the choose not one creative midfield and on top of the the most creative offensive player Omar Cummings was not on the field to start with.

they intended to use pure speed. I am surprise Bolt and Powell haven't gotten their call up yet.
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Whitmore look like smaddy knock some sense him inna him head wid a 2 by 4. how long the public a bawl say JA naave nuh creative midfielder and him jus a figure dat out.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post

You, of all people a disown Hue. A wha happen between you and him? Him start mek smaddy else shine off him shoes?

Comment

Originally posted by Lionpaw View Post
                      You, of all people a disown Hue. A wha happen between you and him? Him start mek smaddy else shine off him shoes?
                      can you imagine! after all these years!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Whitmore need to get back into shape...

Roger Milla stylee..

Comment

i saw him play a masters game at jarrett park the other day - we could use him as is.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

thats the problem.. JAMAICA BEST CREATIVE MIDFIEDLDER IS TAPPA WHITMORE!

Comment

Working...
                            X