X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Team-sheet shows United don't have talent to overtake Chelse

Team-sheet shows United don't have talent to overtake Chelsea

by Stan Collymore

Manchester United's title challenge appears to be gathering momentum after successive emphatic wins in the Premier League following their loss at Chelsea.

United destroyed Pompey at Fratton Park as they romped to a 4-1 victory with a hat-trick from Wayne Rooney.

But when I saw the champions’ team-sheet I couldn’t help but feel that Michael Carrick, Paul Scholes, Darren Fletcher and Ryan Giggs wouldn’t get a sniff of action regularly for title rivals Chelsea.

I take on board the trophies won by United’s midfield four but I want to discuss the here and now, and with nearly half a season gone, I wish to discuss the two engine rooms.

If you compare Carrick with Chelsea’s Frank Lampard, I’d have Frank all day long.

He is more mobile than Carrick and is a 20-goal a season midfielder and a better all round footballer than the United man, so I’d give Lamps the nod by nine points to six out of ten.

Attacking midfielder-wise, Scholes or Michael Ballack is too close to call so I score this contest even.

They are two fantastic players that have bags of experience and I’d give them both six points each.

But Michael Essien is clearly a far superior player to United’s Fletcher.
    It is no contest, as the Ghana international is stronger in the tackle, more mobile, and possibly the world’s best defensive midfielder at the moment.
    Add to that a knack for regular goals, and Essien is a clear winner by nine points to six.

Giggs was man-of-the-match at Pompey and United fans will tell you he’s playing better than ever, but Joe Cole looks sharp again, can unlock the door in tight games and has more impact in the crucial central midfield area.

Now he is fit, Cole is often at the heart of everything for Chelsea so I’d give him eight points to Giggs’ seven.

And this is precisely why I think league leaders Chelsea will triumph come May with a more balanced, stronger and more creative midfield than the champions.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opin...cle238035.html?
    Last edited by Karl; November 30, 2009, 08:37 PM.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

What a way Stan wants to dismiss reailty to make his point? This is the 4th season in a row people have been saying this Stan check and see which midfield won the last 3 titles and ended up in the last 2 UCL final.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Working...
    X