Almshouse business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almshouse business

Henry facing World Cup ban as FIFA refer handball against Ireland to disciplinary committee

By Sportsmail Reporter Last updated at 4:33 PM on 02nd December 2009
    Getting away with it: Henry's handball

Thierry Henry could miss the start of next summer's World Cup finals after FIFA announced they will refer his infamous handball to their disciplinary committee.
    The incident involving the France striker in the World Cup play-off against the Republic of Ireland was the subject of detailed discussion in an emergency meeting of the FIFA executive committee in Cape Town today (Wednesday).
    FIFA president Sepp Blatter said: 'The disciplinary will open a case on the behaviour of the player Thierry Henry.'
    Asked why FIFA were making a special case of Henry, he added: 'This is a matter of the disciplinary committee and it's not a question of this player or another - it was a blatant unfair playing and was shown all around the world, but I don't know what the outcome will be.'
    Blatter insisted that there was no certainty Henry would be banned.

He said: 'I have not said that Thierry Henry will be punished, I have said that Thierry Henry will be examined by the disciplinary committee of FIFA.'
    Blatter said players should realise that the eyes of the world will be on them next summer.

'I appeal to all the players and coaches to observe this fair play. In 2010 we want to prove that football is more than just kicking a ball but has social and cultural value,' he added.

'So we ask the players 'please observe fair play' so they will be an example to the rest of the world.'

Blatter also revealed the Football Association of Ireland had withdrawn their bid to be included as a 33rd country in the World Cup and apologised for his comments earlier this week suggesting it had not been considered seriously.

'We have received a letter from the FAI withdrawing their demand to be accepted as team number 33.

'I would like to express my regrets to a wrong interpretation of what I said and to the FAI I'm sorry about the headlines going around the world. I have nothing against the Irish, they were very sporting when they came to FIFA.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1232660/Thierry-Henry-facing-World-Cup-ban-FIFA-refer-handball-Ireland-disciplinary-committee.html#ixzz0YYUnMuSG
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

i think the ref moreso should be banned.

Comment

wha di ref do?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
        wha di ref do?
        born blind.

it did obvious. di only thing henry did lef fi do a dribble di ball like basketball and finger roll it inna di net.

Comment

di ref woulda gi 2 points fi dat!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

I thought hypocritism (is that a word) was a jamaican phenomena, who would have thought fifa would be infected.

Mek we ban everybody that commits an offense...sorry I meant lets only ban them if the game is important.

Nah.. we should ban everybody from them spit on the pitch.

Comment

...and we should ban people who make silly posts and who invent words such as hypocritism!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

...hear hear * bangs hand on desk repeatedly *

Comment

What FIFA needs to do is come up with some strategies to deal with this problem rather than go after Henry. Going after Henry opens a can of worms...how many players who got away with infractions that benefitted their team are they going to ban?

A policy needs to be formulated and implemented rather than using Henry as a guinea pig to create it. The use of technology or their five ref plan I'm reading about might be a start.
                  Peter R

Comment

Working...
                  X